Look ups and help available Glamorgan.

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by ROBERTALUNCHICK, May 29, 2013.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Do your 'resources' include Baptism's at the Ebenezer Chapel in the District of Swansea?

If so, I'll provide names of those involved.

2. ROBERTALUNCHICK

ROBERTALUNCHICK New Member

Not available from myself sorry.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any ideas on how I can find these - hopefully online as I'm in Canada?

4. ROBERTALUNCHICK

If you send names and time period with exact church name.
    I can search or look around for you !

5. The Artful Dodger

Thank you Robert.

Here is what I know:
    Annie Mainwaring mariied Daniel Jones on 25 December 1869 at the Ebenezer Chapel, Swansea.

Their children were:
    David John - born Oct-Dec 1870 and died Oct-Dec 1873
    David John - born Oct-Dec 1875
    Daniel George - born Jan-Mar 1877
    William Mainwaring - born Apr-Jun 1879
    Thomas Frederick - born 6 Sept. 1881. Address on birth certificate looks like 58 Baptist Well Street, Swansea. Search by street search in Find My Past for 1881 census shows addresses up to 52 Baptist Well Street only
    Evan Ernest - born Apr-Jun 1884.

Addresses from census records:
    1871 - 11 Carmarthen Road, Swansea.
    1881 - 119 High Street, Swansea.

Occupation of Daniel Jones was Shipwright.

There is possibly/probably another child born and died during the years 1871-1884. In 1884 Annie was aged 35 so the birth of the 7th may have been after 1884.

Is this enough as it is all I have?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  6. The Artful Dodger

The post #25 was edited by a Mod. on 1 February 2014. - not sure what was needed for editing and I've heard nothing since so I guess it is no longer an available service.

7. ROBERTALUNCHICK

If you search for 'Baptist Well' on the Cambrian index www.swansea.gov.uk/cambrianyou will see that the land, originally part of Baptist Well Farm I think, was owned by the Swansea corporation and they granted out plots of it to build houses, which were then usually rented out. It looks as if the street had not been completed by the late 1870s, so some of the houses may have been built during 1881. Google maps finds it quite easily. Long terraces of little houses fronting on to the pavement, with what look like decent-sized rear gardens. You will realise that the three addresses are quite close to each other, probably moving up socially at the time as well as uphill.

Ebenezer Chapel, Ebenezer Street, off High Street near the station, is now Baptist, but used to be Welsh Independent.
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Swansea/Chapels.html

You will probably find plenty on Ebenezer in the Cambrian as well.

In 1869 a shipwright was a skilled and reasonably well-paid occupation. As wooden sailing ships were increasingly replaced by iron steamers it became more precarious as work was more intermittent, and shipbuilding in Swansea declined. One of my great-grandmother's sisters married a shipwright in 1866. By 1901 he was running a general store.

See for example SHIPS AND SHIPPING, SHIP BUILDING AND REPAIR
    01 July 1881 EDITORIAL: DECLINE OF WOODEN SHIPBUILDING AND SHIPWRIGHTS IN SWANSEA. HARRIS BROS. GAVE UP BUILDING WOODEN SHIPS. P5

You should be able to see the whole of that article free at Welsh Newspapers Online.

Mealymoo and The Artful Dodger like this.
  8. ROBERTALUNCHICK

The numbering on Baptist Well Street goes up one side and down the other. 58 (current numbering , quite likely original) is on the uphill side of the street.

9. Eileen Dusch

Eileen Dusch New Member

Robert,
    I am new to this site, so I hope your offer is still open. Family lore is that my gr gr grandparents were of different classes in Ireland (he was a coachman she was a court lady). They ran away to Wales to get married. I have found census to verify that they resided in Briton Ferry and raised a family there. I have also found my gr grandfather's (their son) marriage license from Wales. What I would like to find out is the death dates of my gr gr grandparents and where they were buried. (I strongly believe they were Catholic) And if there are any church records on their marriage and baptisms of their children. I am hoping that there are some documents that would also take me back another generation with the names of their parents. I found the following research in rootsweb.com authored by Dan Perez (my additions are in bold):

I have found them on the 1871 census of Glamorgan, Wales in Briton Ferry. John Flinn is age 50, from Mulinymr (Mullingar?) Ireland. Wife Susan is age 47 from Sewry (Sooey?), Ireland. Son James (my gr grandfather) 16, daughter Elizabeth 11, son William 10 all born in Briton Ferry, Glamorgan. Daughter Mary, who would be 20 in 1871, was not in the home. Possibly she is the 20 year old Mary Flinn in the home of the James & Emily Brimfield, as their cook, in Swansea, Glamorgan Co. Mary Flynn married John Mahoney, possibly in 1873.

On the 1881 census of Briton Ferry, Wales, John Flynn is widowed, age 56 from Mulligar (again Mullingar), Ireland. Children James 26, Elizabeth 25, and William 20 are still single and living with him. By this time, his daughter Mary appears in her own home as the wife of John "Manne" though I am certain this is a spelling error (the Wales census was conducted by first distributing enumeration sheets to each household a few days before the census; each household filled out their own sheets and then they were collected on census day. Census authorities then used the information to fill out the official census pages we have images of today. Could be the Mahoney's handwriting was not too legible and thus enumerated as "Manne")

This 1881 family of John Manne age 34 and wife Mary (age 30) has daughter Susan 10 months old. Later in the US, Susan's 1900 census birth info shows born May 1880, which is 10 months from the April 1881 Wales census Susan. She's in the home of her uncle, James Flynn. William also came to the US and was in Indiana in 1900 with his wife, and his sister Mary Flynn Mahoney, the mother of 7 with 3 living (Susan, Sylvester and William, Son James may have died before 1900). Mary and her children Susan, Sylvester and William immigrated in April 1900 to Port of NY. Then on to her brother James house in Pittsburgh, PA and left Susan there. Mary went on to Elwood City, Indiana to live with her other brother William Flynn.

Prior to coming to the US, James married Mary O'Donovan in Wales. My best guess is that they immigrated in 1882, but I have found no record to confirm. Their oldest daughter, Mary, was born in the US in 1883. On James and Mary's marriage license, James lists his parents as John Flinn from Mullingar and Mary lists her father as Patrick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Eileen

10. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hi Eileen, Welcome to Top Dog C|:-)

Could these be the deaths and burials for Susan & John Flynn/Flinn

Susan FLYNN, age 52
    Birth: 1825
    Burial date: 15th September 1877, St Mary/St Clement, Briton Ferry, Glamorgan
    Abode: Briton Ferry
    Denomination: ANGLICAN

GRO Reference:
    Death Sep 1877 Susan Flynn, age 52, Neath , Volume: 11a, Page: 303

John FLINN, age 59
    Birth: 1822
    Burial date: 25 Oct 1881, St Mary/St Clement, Briton Ferry, Glamorgan
    Abode: Briton Ferry
    Denomination: ANGLICAN

GRO Reference:
    Deaths Dec 1881, John Flynn, age 59, Neath, Volume: 11a, Page: 373

Sis likes this.
  11. Brenda Allbee

Brenda Allbee New Member

Hi I am looking for my great great grandmother's burial location. Her name was Ann (nee Harris) McFee; b. 22 Feb 1824 Devonport (father Joseph Harris and Mother was Elizabeth); married Andrew McFee 14 Jun 1848 Stoke Damerel, Devon; d. 1865 Glamorgan (Not sure if she died in Oystermouth or Gower). Their son, Frederick McFee was also born in Glamorgan 1864 Jan-Feb-Mar Quarter.
    I will be in the UK in November to do some more research, so am hoping you may be able to provide further information to send me in the right direction.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    Brenda

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Brenda,

Robertalunchick has not been on the forum since 2014.

An email will be sent to the email address we have on record notifying of a new post being added to the thread however it has been a long time. :)

Brenda Allbee likes this.
  13. Chimp

Familysearch:-

Ann Mack Fee
    Burial: 1865
    Event Place: Oystermouth, Glamorgan, Wales
    Address: Church Park

From National Burial Index For England & Wales

Ann MacKfee
    Birth year: 1823
    Burial date: 14 May 1865
    Church: All Saints, Oystermouth, Glamorganshire
    Denomination: Anglican

General Register Office
    Death registered in Gower - Gower registration district includes the parish of Oystermouth

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  14. Brenda Allbee

Brenda Allbee New Member

Thank you for the burial information, that definitely helped.

Daft Bat likes this.
  15. Chimp

You're welcome ;)

16. Brenda Allbee

Brenda Allbee New Member

How do I find out which cemetery this is referring to? There is an Oystermouth All Saints Cemetery, and The Mumbles (All Saints)?

17. Chimp

I'm not sure.

Can any other member help with this inquiry ?

18. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I think that Oystermouth is the name of the village in the Mumbles district, the latter being an area rather than a set place (apart from a headland) - if you get my drift. ;)

So..... All Saints, Oystermouth is where the burial took place. :)

By the way, there is a municipal cemetery in Oystermouth, but that didn't open until 1883, so there would not have been a burial there. ;)

Chimp and Brenda Allbee like this.
  19. Chimp

Thanks Jan, I thought i could remember seeing that the cemetery wasn't opened till later, but my head is fuzzy at the moment. Thanks for sorting it out.

Brenda Allbee and Daft Bat like this.
  20. Brenda Allbee

Brenda Allbee New Member

YAY!! Thanks for your help. Trying to get my path mapped out for my journey in November :)

Jellylegs, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.