Looking for Baptism and 1841 Census

Discussion in 'London' started by Daft Bat, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Frederick PADWICK was born about 1824 in Bunhill Row according to the 1851 census, where he is living in St Luke's. (Piece 1521, Folio 146, Page 21) Bunhill Row is in Stepney and is mainly an Army area according to this snip from a Booth’s Poverty map.

upload_2021-8-19_9-31-14.png

He had married Martha CARRINGTON on 16th July 1848 at St Botolph’s Aldwych and I have his details (Martha’s death, Frederick’s remarriage and his death etc) from 1851 onwards.

However, I am unable to find him in the 1841 census. :(

I am also unable to find a baptism for him. According to his marriage certificates his father was William PADWICK – recorded as deceased on one certificate (1848) and Wheelwright on the other (1858).

All help gratefully received. :)

Thank you.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

FS has a baptism of a Frederick Hale Pa....?? son of Josiah and Elizabeth 14/4/1822 N E O S? Wharfinger. St Dunstan and All Saints Stepney. The last name is really hard to read from the register image.
    He is also listed on FS as Frederick Hale Smith but where they get Smith from, I have no idea. I also have no idea what N E O S? means. There are a few of them on the page.
    But then you have him with father William.....

3. Daft Bat

Thank you. :) Just taken a look - NEOS is MEOT, which stands for Mile End Old Town - but sadly not the chap.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Bunhill and the surrounding area is actually Finsbury. Looking at the Finsbury baptisms on Ancestry, there is one at the City of London Lying In Hospital, Finsbury for Frederick PATTRICK, son of William and Catherine, William being a Labr. E.I.C. (East India Company?) of Mile End New Town - only trouble is the baptism is dated 29th September 1830, although it could have been a late baptism. I can't find any other likely candidate .......:(

Looking at the 1841 census for the Pattrick family, I found them in Halifax Street, Mile End (HO107/0711/2/48/2) and Frederick is 10, so must have been born about the time he was baptised. I can't find them in 1851 - so was Frederick telling porkies :rolleyes: I've probably barked totally up the wrong tree :nailbiting:

Chimp, Daft Bat and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Daft Bat

Thanks @AnnB - I will have a deeper rummage tomorrow when I am back on the laptop and don't have a Labradog nudging my elbow! :D

AnnB likes this.
  6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is a tree on Anc. for Frederick giving his parents as William Padwick 1804-1842 and Mary Ann Hughes 1802-1840.
    There are deaths on the GRO which fit,
    Mary is listed as died 29/7/1840 London Fever Hospital (reg St Pancras 1-218 Sept qtr)
    William Marylebone 1-152 Dec qtr.
    On the 1841 census there is a William Padwick, a smith in Marylebone
    HO107 piece 677 book 2 folio 11 page 14

The tree gives Frederick b1825 death 15/9/1900 and burial 24/9/1900
    The owner, however, has no bap or 1841 census
    Marriage of William and Mary Ann Hughes in 1827 - Pallots - St Steph. Coleman
    The image is on Anc. St Stephens, Coleman Street 22/10/1827

Which then means a birth for Frederick in 1825 is unlikely, or the reason there is no baptism.
    I see no baptisms, at all, in London for father William and mother Mary Ann

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Daft Bat

@MollyMay Thanks for that. I have seen this tree and there are some assumptions made elsewhere with no proof. :sceptical:

When Frederick died, the age given was 79, which gives a birth year of about 1821/2, so even further out.

It would be nice to have William PADWICK and Mary Ann HUGHES as his parents but I think not.

However....

It may well be a second marriage for William, Frederick's mother having died, which is why the baptism would be so useful.

Now off to look for a suitable death for a Mrs PADWICK in the 1820s.....

MollyMay likes this.
  8. MollyMay

When William married Mary Ann he is a bachelor, not a widower, so unikely to have been married before.

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. Daft Bat

Drat. :(

Thank you. :)

MollyMay likes this.
  10. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

I see his second wife was previously married (Cork, 1850) to Henry Padwick, whose father was also named William but is recorded as a coach builder.

Henry Padwick's army record says he was born c1819, St Pancras & enlisted 10 July 1841, Middlesex, so he should be in the census somewhere.

Seems a bit of a coincidence - did Frederick marry his late brother's wife?

AnnB, Daft Bat and MollyMay like this.
  11. Daft Bat

That is what I am thinking. ;)

Also, a wheelwright is not that far removed from coach builder...

MollyMay likes this.
  12. MollyMay

Henry and Honora are in Jersey in 1851
    HO107/2527/939/9

Henry was also a blacksmith when he attested

Daft Bat likes this.
  13. Andromeda

There are various criminal records for the surname Padwick (or similar), including Henry Padwick in 1827, a Smith born St Pancras (both of which match the army information) although he was said to be aged 15, so born nearer 1812 than 1819. Looks like he was sentenced to 2-months & is in the Newgate prison registers.

I still can't find him in 1841 though :(

AnnB, MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  14. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Henry Padwick, who in the Old Bailey records is listed as aged 15, is stated as being 45 in the Newgate Calendar of Prisoners and theEngland and Wales Criminal Registers on Ancestry :confused:

I can’t find anything about the case in the papers :(

Daft Bat likes this.
  15. Andromeda

I may have a possible lead.

There is a baptism at St Pancras 21 Feb 1808, Thomas Padwick s/o William & Martha.

Looking for other children brings up this at All Saints, Kingston on Thames:

20 Mar 1814 (born 20 Feb last) Laetitia s/o William & Martha Padwick, Kingston, Wheelwright

Letitia was one of the people in the criminal records and was transported to Van Diemen's Land

Also a possible brother, Daniel, baptised 13 Sep 1801 at St Mary the Virgin, Northolt, Ealing, s/o William & Martha

There is a marriage at St Marylebone 30 Jan 1797 between William Padwick & Martha Gollder

16. Andromeda

The handwritten UK, Prison Commission Records show him as aged 15, as does the Old Bailey Online, but you're right, other records say 45 :headbang:

17. Andromeda

There is a burial at St Luke, Finsbury, 3 Aug 1826 - William Padwick aged 53, also 5 Sep 1840 at St Stephen Coleman Street, Martha Padwick aged 64.

The mention of St Stephen Coleman Street brings me back to a newspaper report from 1828 about a married couple named Padwick who were the subject of a settlement dispute between & St Giles Cripplegate & St Stephen Coleman Street. It can't have been William & Martha as the man was said to have been not long out of his apprenticeship, but possibly one of their sons? Whoever he was, he was said to be an "incorrigible, idle & drunken fellow"

18. Andromeda

Ran out of time to update my earlier post (#15) but just realised that William & Martha are the parents of William Padwick 1804 who married Mary Ann Hughes, and were already suggested to be Frederick's parents. I think he is probably also the incorrigible drunk!

Daft Bat likes this.
  19. Daft Bat

@Andromeda thank you so much for this information - it is really interesting. I will have a proper look in the morning. :)

20. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Information from a contributor on Tasmania convict records has Letitia the daughter of William Padwick and Martha Burnhill(?) who were married 9/7/1790 Surrey. She was christened 20/3/1814 Kingston-upon-Thames, born 29/2/1814
    She married David George in Launceston 31/12/1834. A son Davi Henry was born in Adelaide.

Daft Bat likes this.