Looking for Gossip....

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by Clodbuster, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Clodbuster

Clodbuster New Member

I have a direct ancestor who was left a LOT of property in North Norfolk 1787. About £50000.00 which today is about 40 million. He managed to squander the lot in 15 years and was made bankrupt in 1805.
    He was Coulsey Savory, Born Syderstone, Norfolk UK, 17 June 1756, died 23/10/1837. I have all his details and property - what I'm looking for is how he managed to run through THAT much money in about 15 years. Quite where to find this salacious gossip and possible nefarious activities is what I would like to find if possible.

2. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

The Norfolk Chronicle has the notices you would expect to see in a bankruptcy case including the sale of his farming and household effects in Feb 1807, postponed from the previous October.
    The only clue as to what happened is that in 1803 he committed to raise a volunteer force of 60 men who would be armed and clothed "without any expense to the government " . Perhaps the cost was too much as he was given notice to quit from at least one of his properties in 1805.
    Full stories at the British Newspaper Archive or perhaps as you are in Norfolk the local records office can help.

3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Beat me to it Londoner :D

I see he inherited his wealth from his uncle, Samuel Coulsey in 1787. I thought the same as Londoner when I saw the notice about raising the volunteer force - the Loyal Twyford Volunteers - he probably bit off a bit more than he could chew. He did it for admirable reasons, but had no idea how much it would cost him, and there would have been plenty of people trying to make money out of him under the guise of 'helping' - or am I just an old cynic :rolleyes:

4. Clodbuster

Clodbuster New Member

Thank you - I had seen that and did not think it would have swallowed up £50000 - He had already disposed of several smaller properties by then making me think that the debt was already beginning to bite. He had 3 large chunks of land and then smaller blocks around several N Norfolk villages.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Clodbuster

Clodbuster New Member

He did inherit from his uncle and also more from his father in 1796.

Archie's Mum likes this.