Looking for Grandmother!

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Chinch, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

If Archie’s Mum is right that she married a Newton, I think I’ve found it. Gladys Woodbridge married Edward A Newton 2nd q 1935 Solihull Warwickshire. 1939 Register. Edward A Newton born 6th Aug. 1912 General Labourer Brickworks. Gladys Newton born 18 Dec. 1915 Domestic Duties. Living Eton Buckinghamshire. That where she was born. Don’t find a connection to Birmingham. Found her birth registered 1st q 1916 Eton Buckinghamshire, mother Woodbridge. Other records on the 1939 Register are closed.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The connection to Birmingham is that is where Gladys met Edward when they both worked at the same 'posh' house. Its the years between her birth and her marriage that are missing. Its just a shame that those are the years closed.
    But it does look like one of their children was born in Birmingham and another in Solihull.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  3. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

Birmingham is in Warwickshire Silly me. Have searched all hospitals and institutions workhouses. Education, law records. But can’t find Gladys. Just have to wait for the 1921 census I’m afraid. I guess you had the information I found already. Did find her death in Broomsgrove Worcestershire.

4. Chinch

Chinch Member

Hi Lusmum and Archie's Mum,
    Yes, this is my Gladys , she was born in Eton , Bucks; and lived in Birmingham and married Edward Albert Newton, they had 2 Sons, and she died in 1987 in Redditch, actually, but it says Bromsgrove as that's where it was registered, I think.
    It is certainly a mystery as to her whereabouts between 1915 and 1935. Ted die aged just 50 and she lived alone after that, working at Sorrento Hospital at some stage. She never spoke of her childhood and questions about her early 'photo's were usually brushed aside and I , as a child/teenager , never thought to ask too many questions. I think our ancestry becomes much more important as we age , but, by then, it's usually too late to find the answers, unfortunately.
    I think the next census will have to be the place I look for my answers , but it's soooooo long to wait!!
    Thank you all so much for your help.

Half Hour, Bay Horse, Lusmum and 5 others like this.
  5. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

Hi Chinch, good luck from all of us, was thinking she was born 1919 please disregard earlier post, had a senior moment haha.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. Chinch

Chinch Member

Thank you all so much for your help. I will keep searching and hope I get lucky!!
    Best wishes
    Chinch

Daft Bat and Archie's Mum like this.