Looking for information on death of Fireman.

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by arryboy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. arryboy

arryboy Well-Known Member

Hello, was wondering if anybody can help me with a possible accident / inquest from a newspaper article for a Thomas Job Whiston, died 4 June 1910 on his death cert. it states that he died from an "acute intestinal obstruction" 1 day 9 hours. Exhaustion, Heart Failure. His death was at Wilton (could be Milton) Street, Aston Manor.
    On his youngest daughter's birth Cert. he is shown as a "Member of the Fire Brigade" this is October 1897.
    Family "lore" suggest he died after a fall, possibly through a roof, his occupation on the census is "House Painter" another address I have for them in 1897 is New St John Street, UD in the sub district of St George in the county of Birmingham.
    Thanks in anticipation. arryboy
    Graham

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

On the website below, there is a Wilton Street mentioned as well as a Witton Street, but no Milton Street.
    Code:
    http://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/streetindex.html

arryboy likes this.
  3. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

On line copies of Birmingham newspapers for the period are conspicuous by their absence. It might be worth contacting the Archives Department at the City of Birmingham Library. With a definite name and date of death, they should be able to help, although I'm not sure if they are able to provide images of reports via e-mail.

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've had a good rummage around the newspapers, but can't find anything about Thomas's death. I suspect the death wasn't 'suspicious' in any way and didn't warrant an inquest (is an inquest mentioned on the death certificate?) From the cause of death on the cert. it sounds as if it wasn't anything caused by an accident.

Ann

Ma-dotcom and arryboy like this.
  5. arryboy

Yes Thanks for that a large site and a lot of searching, just come off there as my eyes are seeing two of everything. Will certainly go back on there. Thank you

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  6. arryboy

No, cause of death is as I have given above, no mention of Inquest etc. It is just a chance to find out why somebody so young 45 ish died and the family lore surrounding his death. I do realised family lore is not always gospel but the source has been very reliable with other stories in the past. arryboy
    Graham

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  7. arryboy

Yes I will look into that tip, thank you, now you have mentioned it, it seems an obvious choice but I hadn't thought about it so Thank you. arryboy
    graham

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  8. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Sorry Graham - I've had a good look on BNA (just "Whiston" in 1910 and not limiting the geography) & can't see anything ... lots of results though - isn't it typical that the Coroner in the Derby area was called Whiston! :eek:

Jane

9. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Perhaps your source is correct about the fall and the fall was caused by the blockage. Not everyone necessarily privy to medical info

arryboy and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. arryboy

Thank you for looking, I have been out all day today so have not had a chance to try the Birmingham Library, but Thanks for your help and input. arryboy

Graham

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Arryboy
    You may not have much luck with the Birmingham Library,though it is worth trying. they used to be very helpful, but hav e recently had their budget cut drastically (just after spending enormous amounts on a new central library which seems more interested in satisfying an architect's desires than the users), and staff have also been severely cut. You are unlikely to find anything on online papers as the BNA have gone up to c1900 and then jumped to WW1 period because of the centenary, as far as Birmingham is concerned, though presumably they will be added later.
    I do not know if you have looked at the rate books for birmingham on ancestry, but there is a thomas whiston at no 3 court 3 new john st (not new st john st which I don't think exists)) in 1901 and 1906.
    Sorry I can't help more

arryboy likes this.
  12. arryboy

Thanks for the update on that, no I haven't tried the rate books for Birmingham, will have to do that when I am next down in the Local Library as I don't have a subscription to "A" at present. I have seen the 1901 census posting and yes that is him.
    Thanks for your help and tip ref the Rate Books, will certainly try them. arryboy

Graham