Looking for Sarah!

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Maureen Parkinson, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Maureen Parkinson

Maureen Parkinson New Member

Given up all hope of finding Sarah Roberson (nee Dell) last Sen in Railway Inn, Uxbridge, Middlesex 1851.
    Widowed in 1855 and then vanished!
    Is she still roaming round Middlesex.
    Please get in touch Sarah

2. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

Hi Maureen, so far the only Sarah Robertson I could find was buried 26 June 1858 age 66, All Saints, Old Buckenham, Norfolk. How old was your Sarah in 1851 or do you know her date of birth?

3. crazycatlady22

o.k. I found her in 1851 aged 22
    this must have been her second marriage because the children
    George age 17
    Henry age 15
    Sarah Dell age 5
    I shall continue my search.

4. crazycatlady22

Young Sarah Dell is in the 1861 staying with family members:
    Charles Stairs (Head) age 29 born Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
    Mary Stairs (wife) age 29 born Uxbridge
    Mary Stairs (dau) age 8 born L.B. Bedfordshire
    John E. Stairs (son) age 4 "
    Thomas W. Stairs (son) age 2 born "
    Sarah Ann Stairs (dau) age 10 months born "
    Sarah Dell (niece) age 15 born Uxbridge

Sis likes this.
  5. crazycatlady22

Found the son George Robinson on the familysearch website in 1861
    Residence: Vine Street, Uxbridge unmarried age 27 Lodger.

Haven't found Mum yet.

Sis likes this.
  6. Maureen Parkinson

7. Maureen Parkinson

Hello, so many people willing to help, I'm overwhelmed.
    Sarah was my 3xgt grandmother. Her parents were John and Sarah Dell of Bell Yard, Uxbridge. Sarah's mum died when the children were quite young.
    When Sarah was 18 she had an illegitimate daughter, also called Sarah, father not named on birth certificate. When young Sarah was 2 her mother married George Roberson, he was 20 years her senior, a widower with 3 children.
    In 1851 they were living in The Railway Inn, Vine Street, Uxbridge.
    George died in 1855, I have the death certificate. So Sarah would be about 27 when she was widowed. After 1855 I cannot find her anywhere. I wondered if she remarried. I did find a Sarah Roberson marrying a Charles Lambert but this is not the right Sarah.
    In 1861 her daughter Sarah was living with her aunt and uncle Charles and Mary Stairs in Leighton Buzzard. In 1869 this Sarah married Jacob Fountain and they ended up living in Lancashire, I have an extensive tree re this Sarah. It is her mother who has gone to ground! I have searched all avenues I can think of. Perhaps someone should go into the Railway and see if she has fallen asleep in a corner. Love the way people are willing to help,,it makes a fractured world seem so much better.

Joanne, Sis, GrannyBarb and 2 others like this.
  8. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Sadly it is no longer there, not sure when it closed, but lots of new buildings in Vine Street now. Next time I am in town I will go into the library, where the archive is, and see if they have any info on it. Perhaps I should go after dark and look for her ghost:ghost::nailbiting:

Sis likes this.
  9. MollyMay

Have you seen this picture and description of where Bell Yard was?

http://
    artuk.org/discover/artworks/the-bell-yard-uxbridge-179166

I have broken the link because there is a 'donate' option.

Sis likes this.
  10. Maureen Parkinson

11. MollyMay

A question for you.

Do you know what happened to Sarah's siblings after their mother died? In 1851 I can find Mary in Northampton as a servant and then she marries Charles Stairs and by 1861 is looking after your Sarah's daughter Sarah.
    I can find William and John in Leighton Buzzard in 1851 (both bricklayers like their father). Then possible marriages for them still in Leighton Buzzard but then they too vanish. I cannot find Charles or Henry, nor John her father.

This is a post from yesterday, but I forgot to hit the post reply button - doh!:rolleyes:

12. MollyMay

I have been into Uxbridge library this morning and have some tid bits for you.

I have a Map of Vine street showing where The Railway was, a picture of Bells Yard c1900 and can copy an aerial map of the town centre showing St Margaret's in the centre c1933 before the underground arrived, and Bells Yard disappeared.
    If you would like to have copies let me know.

A little on the Railway Inn - It was originally the Swan, the Railway Hotel was, in 1925, called the Railway Temperance Hotel, between the wars was the Railway Arms and in 1976 the Printer's Devil and finally closed in 1980.

I met a fellow Roberson researcher in the archive and she told me not only to look for them as the obvious Robertson, but as Robeson and surprisingly (to me) Robinson and sure enough George's son Henry's baptism appears in the St Margaret PR's as Robinson.
    So will now try for your missing Sarah with those variations on the surname.

13. MollyMay

I have now found a picture of the Railway Temperance Hotel, if you would like to see it.

14. Maureen Parkinson

thank you so much for your time,i would love to see the pictures.
    interesting that mistakes are made in transcribing names, I will be aware of that in future. if I lived in the UK it would be fairly easy to visit Uxbridge to see where my ancestors lived, not so easy from a little island in the middle of the Irish Sea!
    i am so grateful for all your helpxx

15. Maureen Parkinson

16. Maureen Parkinson

Sarahs mother died in 1844 age 40 of tuberculosis, her father John died 2 years later age 42, i have sentfor his death certificate. her brother Charles died age 4
    Her eldest stepson was apparently badly injured in the Crimean War and at the age of 27 he was receiving a pension as an "outdoor" Chelsea Pensioner. Her relationship with the other stepson Henry seems to have been very rocky.I haven't found anything about her stepdaughter Sarah (all these Sarahs are a nightmare!) As Sarah would only be in her mid 20s when she was widowed I feel sure she would have remarried, not many options for women in those days
    i thought I had found her married to a Charles Lambert and did a lot of research into their family but when I got the marriage certificate it was the wrong Sarah. All the research I did would probably be of interest to someone. I also cant find a death, but if she did remarry and then died I wouldn't know where to start!!
    her illegitimate daughter Sarah was my gt grandmother and I have a full tree of her marriage and family.
    she has become an obsession, perhaps I should see a medium!!
    i am overwhelmed by the kindness and help I am receiving, will happily do the same for anyone with Manx or Lancashire ancestry x

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  17. Maureen Parkinson

hello, thank you so much, I am very grateful. Its difficult living in Isle of Man, I cant get on a train to do some research. I found out that the George you mention was badly injured in the Crimean War and at the age of 27, as you say, living in Vine Street, was receiving a pension as an"outdoor" Chelsea Pensioner, I wasn't aware there was such a thing.
    I am thinking that his stepmother, Sarah , my gt gt grandmother would only be in her mid 20s when she was widowed so probably remarried. I thought I had found her married to a Charles Lambert but it turned out to be the wrong Sarah!
    She just seems to have vanished.....perhaps I should see a medium!!!
    thank you once again x

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  18. MollyMay

Maureen, I have started a conversation with you, so check your inbox.:)

19. MollyMay

I have found a death for Henry Robinson December qtr 1854 Uxbridge 3a 21.

I am at the library tomorrow so will look and see if there is a burial for this one to see if it gives an age.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  20. MollyMay

I found a burial for a George Roberson of Uxbridge at St Margaret's on 23/9/1852 age 42.

Also Henry Robinson of Uxbridge at St Margaret's on 8/10/1854 age 20 (so slightly older than the census, but a likely candidate for yours especially as we cannot find him after 1851).

Ma-dotcom likes this.