Looking for the family of Patrick Joseph Kelly

Discussion in 'County Kildare' started by Pat Snyder, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Pat Snyder

Pat Snyder New Member

My grandfather Patrick Joseph Kelly was born in 1888 in County Kildaire.
    His father was Simon Kelly and his mother was Mary Cushing, that is according to his passport application.
    He had several brothers, one of whom was John who came to USA in 1904-1906.
    He lived in Bayonne NJ and Port Arthur Texas, he died in 1964.
    Need to find out more about this family.
    Pat Snyder

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Pat - welcome to Top Dog 8(:-)

Now, I have just had a look at the Ellis Island website and there is a Patrick Kelly landing in NY on 23rd June 1913 with a home address of 74 West 16th Street, Bayonne, NJ. However, he gives his date of birth as March 13th 1889 and is now a US citizen. Is this the same chap?

Edited to add: Drat. This chap has put his place of birth as New York. Sorry.

(By the way, if you could pop into your profile and add your location, that would be good. ;))

3. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Looking on rootsireland.ie there is a marriage of a Simon Kelly and Mary Cushing 1881 Co Laois.
    Looking at births with a father as Simon Kelly and mother as Mary Cushing gives 8 children all born Co Kildare..Michael 1882,James 1883,Thomas 1885,Mary Anne 1886,Patrick 1888,John 1889,Mary 1891 and Elizabeth 1893

4. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Have you tried looking for any of the family in the 1901 or 1911 Irish Census?
    It is free to search online.
    www.
    census.nationalarchives.ie/

I had a quick look in Kildaire and couldn't see anyone that jumped out at me but it may be worth looking in other counties.

she04 likes this.
  5. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Ancestry have the marriage as Oct-Dec 1881 Mountmellick (co laois) Vol 3 Page 392.Mary's surname is given as Cushion

6. Molly

Molly New Member

Well it is now 2021! Simon and Mary's daughter was Mary Kelly my grandmother. Her dad Simon came to New York and worked to pay passage for his family to come over. They settled in Jersey City and the Bronx. Mary married my grandfathr Joseph Keegan from Cty Offaly in NYC and had 4 children one of which was my father Jim Keegan who married Ann Moriarty and they had 6 children of which 4 are still living.

Chimp and GrannyBarb like this.