Lost! One Prudence Blew from Bitton. :)

Discussion in 'Gloucestershire' started by 3femmes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Dear All,
    How have you all been?
    I've returned to seek some more assistance. You may dread to remember my last query was in regards to Frederick Pike senior senior. I joined the Bristol and Avon Society to add their expertise to the conundrum of where to from Fred but alas nothing definitive as yet so I'm hoping in the fullness of time DNA will narrow the options.
    This time will be much easier for you clever folk but I'm having troubles so thought Id ask for assistance and input from your great minds.
    I am looking for the parents of Prudence Blew.
    Context:
    My elusive Fred Pike married Sarah Pearce. (without a doubt, I have the certificates)
    Sarah's parents' were John Pearce and Elizabeth Taylor (1837-1916)
    Elizabeth's parents' were Isaac Taylor (1814-1893) and Sarah Powell. (They named a daughter Prudence as a side note.)
    Isaac's parents' were Isaac Taylor (1793-1814) and Prudence Blew (1795-1862)
    i believe Prudence then remarried George Britten but she called herself Blew still rather than Taylor so this is the first query area. Did she or did she not re marry? is it the same Prudence? Yeah or nah?
    I have her born and married to both husband candidates in Bitton, Gloucestershire.
    I cannot find parents at all. Can you?
    Thanks for looking.
    3femmes aka Merryn. :)

Chimp and Dogsday like this.
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Prudence BLEW married Isaac TAYLOR at Bitton on 11 April 1814 by banns. Both were shown as of the parish & unmarried. Both made their mark and the witnesses were John WRIGHT who signed and George POWELL who made his mark. Oh, poor Prudence. Burial at Bitton on 14 August 1814 for an Isaac TAYLOR of Made for Ever Bottom (what an interesting name!), aged 21. There is a note on the parish register that he was "killed in a Coal Pit". More hopefully to follow.

Janet

3. janetbooth

Marriage at Bitton on 10 February 1817 of George BRITTON, bachelor, of this parish & Prudence TAYLOR of this parish, spinster. Both made their mark and the witnesses were John BUSH & Thomas Thomson BUSH who both signed. Subsequent census records show that Prudence BRITTON was indeed born in Bitton c1795, so I think you can be pretty sure she is your Prudence BLEW and perhaps considered herself a spinster as Isaac was dead when she remarried.

Janet

4. janetbooth

Isaac TAYLOR jnr was baptised at Bitton on 6 November 1814, son of Isaac & Prudence TAYLOR, Madeforever, Coalminer.

I cannot so far find any trace of BLEW records in Bitton, but will keep looking for your Prudence.

Janet

3femmes, Dogsday and Sis like this.
  5. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Great work Janet. Thank you.
    I think my prudence then married George Britten. I'm just not 100% confident as she is marked as a spinster on the next marriage cert. Again in Bitton.
    Still the Blew family is elusive. I can't find them at all.
    Thanks again for your help. Merryn.

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There's a death of a Prudence Britton, right area and right age. Maybe ordering the certificate/PDF will give a clue or not.

BRITTON, PRUDENCE Age 66
    GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in KEYNSHAM Volume 05C Page 392

3femmes likes this.
  7. 3femmes

3femmes Active Member

Yes. This is the girl I think. With her second marriage to George she has quite a few children.
    I cannot find her parents though. Can you?

8. Sis

No sorry, I thought just maybe a copy of the death certificate/PDF might give a clue. Sometimes the informants name can help. No guarantee of course.

9. janetbooth

Still not having much luck finding Prudence's birth/baptismal record. I wonder if the George POWELL who was a witness at Prudence's marriage to Isaac TAYLOR senr is the same George POWELL who was the father of Sarah who married Isaac jnr in 1835?? I was hoping there might be a connection to the BLEW family but it doesn't appear so as George POWELL married Sarah LINES at Bitton on 5 June 1808 - back to the drawing board!

Now this is pure speculation, but looking for any baptisms for a Prudence BLEW on both Ancestry & FMP only brings up one hit and that is on FMP, via Somerset Baptismal Index, for a Prudence BLEW at Over Stowey, Somerset on 30 July ?, father Thomas BLEW, unfortunately no year given. Expanding the parameters for BLEW baptisms in Somerset with a father Thomas, gives a Sally daughter of Thomas BLUE & Ann baptised at Wiveliscombe on 16 March 1796 followed by other BLEW baptisms there until 1808. Thomas BLEW married Ann COLLARD at Wivelscombe on 4 November 1795. However, these could all be totally unconnected to your Prudence as the males seem to remain in Wiveliscombe and the mother Ann is buried there in 1845.

Sorry, I am not being an awful lot of help here, I'm afraid.

Janet

10. Sis

The FreeReg transcription gives the date of 30 Jul 1616, all other details the same.

11. janetbooth

Thanks Sis, I thought it was highly unlikely but she is the only Prudence BLEW/BLUE I have come across - think she must have been found under a gooseberry bush!!

Janet

Sis likes this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Merryn I have found marriages with either spouse claiming to be Bach or Spinster when in fact it is their 2nd marriage. Whether the word 'divorce' was a worry or 'widow/er' made them sound 2nd hand I don't know but these marriages did happen.

Sis likes this.