Louisa Alice GOLDSMITH

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Daft Bat, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Some time back (5 years.... :rolleyes:) you all solved the puzzle of what happened to Mary Ann GOLDSMITH here.

All was going swimmingly and I thought that I had found out what had happened to all of her and Caleb's children. That is, until I was checking the newspapers the other day and discovered that the death that I had for Louisa was for an entirely different Louisa GOLDSMITH. Tuh! So I am still missing that information.

Louisa Alice was born in 1859 in Eastbourne, Sussex. She was living with her parents in each census up until 1901 and it was in that census that she was recorded as aged 42 and an imbecile. Dad Caleb died in 1905 and Mum Mary Ann died in 1913. In the 1911 census, Mary Ann was in the Workhouse Infirmary, which is where she died. However, I can find no trace of Louisa Alice.

Hers is NOT the death registered in the March quarter of 1934 in Uckfield - that was the wife of and Alfred GOLDSMITH. What threw me was that she died in East Hoathly (covered by Uckfield), where my Goldsmiths originated.

I have been sticking to Sussex to find Louisa's death as all of her siblings stayed in Eastbourne - apart from her brother (also Caleb) who moved to Redhill in Surrey, but I have no evidence that she ever lived with him - and his 13 children....:eek:

If any of you very clever rootlers are able to find Louisa's death record, I would be most grateful. :)

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I have no confidence in either of the things I am going to say, but thought I'd throw them in the mix.....

There is an entry for the Essex County Asylum in Mistley in the 1911 census for an Alice Goldsmith, aged 53, single, no known place of birth and described as 'imbecile'.
    There is the death of a Louisa Goldsmith registered in the Lewes district in the September qtr 1916, aged 56.

Half Hour, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Thank you, Ann - it gives me something else to investigate. :)

AnnB likes this.
  4. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

If she was in a asylum Jan , she would only be down by her initials in 1911. And unless her family claimed her at her death you may never be able to find it. We had the same thing but lucky for us her family did claim her. That was the first we had known that she had been in an asylum.

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

The nearest asylum to Eastbourne was Hellingly, my mum was a nurse there in the 1920s...

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Daft Bat

Yes, I had a similar circumstance with an ancestor in Cambridgeshire. :(

7. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

Out of interest I put the PC on and brought up my tree, although I have Louisa I never followed her through. As it's not my direct line as it is yours. We share Wilkins x great grandparents. As you know. Although I went sideways I was more interested in coming down my line.There so much more I could do, maybe this Winter when there no gardening to do..

Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. Daft Bat

I had ordered the death certificate for Lewes and will let you know what transpires.... ;)

mugwortismy cat, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. Daft Bat

Yay! 'Tis her!

The certificate has been pdf'd to me (very fast service!) and it says that she was of 18 East Street, Eastbourne, which is where she was living in 1901 with her parents. She died at "Brighton County Borough Asylum" in Wivelsfield, which is a fair step away from Eastbourne! o_O
    Just need to find her in 1911, so probably just as you say - initials only. :(

10. Daft Bat

Woo-hoo! Just found her admission records on Ancestry - she was admitted on 5th April 1911, 3 days after the census was taken, so maybe she was just missed off....

11. Daft Bat

It just goes to show how things were not understood. She was classed as a "Lunatic" but her cause of death was Epilepsy plus Broncho-Pneumonia. I bet it was the epilepsy that meant she was classed as a lunatic. There were not the drugs around back then that could have helped her. :(

12. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

So pleased that it was the right one, and how right you are about the way medical conditions were misunderstood back then :(

MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I wonder also how babes classed as 'Downs syndrome' were classed?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Daft Bat likes this.