Louisa Burnage - just how many husbands?

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by annabel, Dec 18, 2020.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I wonder if anyone can untangle this?
    I have not found Louisa under her maiden name, but I first found Louisa in 1891 as Louisa Cloves in the house of her mother Diana and stepfather John Johnson in Romsey, with her daughter Edith L (mmn Burnage)
    RG12; Piece: 929; Folio: 5; Page: 4

John Johnson 40
    Diana Johnson 58
    Albert E Johnson 14
    Louisa Cloves 22
    Edith L Cloves

I think she married Maynard Alfred Cloves in 1887
    In 1891 she had a daughter Agnes Rose Cloves in Romsey (mmn Burnage)
    In 1893 she had daughter Ada Margesson in Staines (mmn Burnage). I know they are the same family because in in 1911 she is a widow back in Romsey
    RG14; Piece: 9008; Schedule Number: 214

Louisa Waller 42
    Agnes Rose Waller 19
    Ada Margesson Waller 17
    Alfred Albert Waller 13 (Dorking)
    Elsie Waller 10 (Berwick, Sussex)
    Frank Waller 8 (Salisbury)
    Frances Katherine Waller 4
    Sidney Quarry 21
    Edith Louisa Quarry 21
    Sidney Alfred Wilfred Quarry 2(months)

I have found Frances born as Waller. Ada, on her marriage says her father was Alfred Waller, but I guess that was step father. I haven't found a marriage that fits for Messers Margesson and Waller

So my question is, who was Mr Margesson, and did they marry? Thank you

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Ada Margesson Waller married Albert Carrington March qtr 1916 Luton
    Albert Alfred Carrington son of Albert Carrington and Ada Margesson Carrington was buried at MOASCAR War Cemetery Egypt 23/8/1942

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    annabel likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

What a family;)

I have gone backward and found Louisa in 1881 with the surname Hutchings!!
    Romsey Hants RG11/1224/12/17
    John Johnson, wife Diana, and 3 Hutchings children and one Johnson.
    John Johnson married Diana Burmage Sept qtr 1873 Romsey 2c 137

In 1871 living with Mary Burnage in Romsey are
    Charles wife Dina, 2 Hutchings children and Louisa Burnage
    RG10/1202/31/26
    there are 2 lodgers, and this is the transcription
    :D upload_2020-12-18_10-35-46.png :eek:

It looks like Louisa followed her mother's example:rolleyes:

Half Hour and annabel like this.
  4. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

have a look at this 1901 census RG13; Piece: 1011; Folio: 127; Page: 12

Alfred Clowes 40
    Louisa 32
    Edith 11
    Rose 9
    Ada 7
    Florence 5
    Alfred 3
    Elsie 9 months

Half Hour likes this.
  5. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Well-Known Member

Louisa Burnage. Baptised 11 Apr 1869. Romsey. Parents Thomas and Diana. (F S)
    GRO Index. Louisa Burnage Mar 1869. Romsey. Mmn Rogers
    Free BMD. Thomas Burnage/ Diana Hutchings. Jun 1866. Romsey
    Robert Hutchings/Diana Rogers. Mar 1855. Alderbury.

6. Londoner

Edith Louisa and Agnes Rose both baptised at Romsey, Parents Maynard Alfred Cloves and Louisa (Family Search)

7. annabel

Ooh well done. So does that mean that the birth was mis registered and Ada's surname was Cloves?
    The dad being called Alfred chimes with the marriage. But then there should be a cloves / waller marriage

What a complicated set up, thanks everyone for all that you've found

Half Hour likes this.
  8. Londoner

I'm beginning to wonder if Alfred changed his name? Florence was registered as Cloves with mmn Burnage Sep 1895 Romsey. I haven't found registrations for Alfred and Elsie yet.

9. Londoner

There is an article in the Salisbury and Winchester Journal 23 May 1903 which might have some bearing in @AnnB is watching your typing is so much quicker than mine! It looks like Alfred was a bit naughty!

10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I wasn't watching, but having just nipped in.....

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 23rd May 1903
    At the Kingston-on-Thames county police court, on Thursday, Alfred Cloves, stated to be of Pimlico Cottages, West Dean, Salisbury, and described as a labourer, was charged on a warrant with offering himself as a servant in a false or counterfeit character at the parish of Hook, near Surbiton, Surrey. Mr Henry Moon of Manor Farm, Hook, said that he advertised in Lloyds' Weekly Paper for a cowman, and defendant applied the same day, personally, for the position, referring him to a Mr John Ellis, of Mullen Farm, Herts, where he said be had been employed eight years and two months, milking sixteen cows twice a day. In response to a letter, witness received a communication purporting to be from Mr Ellis, in which defendant was said to be "steady, sober, honest and reliable," and "an experienced man." On receipt of such letter he wrote to the defendant and told him to come up. The following day witness received a telegram from defendant at King's Cross, asking him to wire him 10s. as his luggage was detained there for excess weight. Witness sent the 10s to defendant, who arrived the same day. On the following morning, before commencing work, defendant asked for an advance of 30s, giving as his reason for the request the expense incurred in coming up. Witness lent him the money, and the next day the defendant started work. Witness saw him milking, and in consequence he told him that "the man who wrote the character must he either a fool or a rogue." The Chairman: Who did write it? Prisoner: I wrote the character myself. Prosecutor stated that he had stopped a portion of the money he lent prisoner, who still owed him 18s 11d Detective Bannell deposed to finding prisoner detained at Romsey police station on the 14th inst., and when he charged him, prisoner replied, "Yes; I am very sorry for it." As the result of inquiries, he found that the prisoner had been obtaining a sovereign in a similar manner in other places. Prisoner's character which he gave Mr Moon was false. There was no such person at Harden Farm. Prisoner handed the Bench a written statement in his defence, which commenced, "To the right honourable members of the Court." He stated that it was owing to ill-health and for the sake of his wife and six children that he wrote the false character, and he promised the Bench never to do such a thing again. He alleged that it was on account of ill-health that he could not do the work. Prosecutor repeated that the prisoner had no knowledge of milking at all. The Chairman said that from the police report prisoner was evidently an old hand at the game, and be would be fined £5, or, in default, a month's hard labour.

You've almost got to admire his cheek :D

Half Hour, Daft Bat and MollyMay like this.
  11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

The only references for Maynard Alfred Cloves is the marriage to Louisa Burnage and the 2 baps.
    I cannot find a death for him 1901 - 1911 as Cloves, Clowes or Waller.

Louisa and children are in Luton in 1911, 19 Albion road
    and she is still in Luton in 1939 (dob 7/3/1869), now blind and an invalid with son Alfred and family - although there is some crossing out of names and Waller added to his family:nailbiting:

AnnB likes this.
  12. annabel

Thank you, that's all amazing finds.
    it does look like Maynard Alfred Cloves and Alfred Waller are the same doesn't it. I cannot find anything else likely for him even though the 1901 census gives his date and place of birth (perhaps).
    Son Alfred married the Florence Smith whose name was crossed out to Waller, but in 1952. It looks like there may have been more intrigue there too.

MollyMay likes this.