Louisa Sherwin

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Blackmogs, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Some years ago in another place someone very kindly found a news report of the demise of poor Louisa. She died 28 March, 1852 in Chichester, West Sussex. I have kept the transcript in a PDF document but I do not know which paper reported the death. I have tried FMP newspapers but nothing. Can anyone help with this please?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle for Saturday April 3rd 1852

(Source: British Newspaper Library) :)

3. Blackmogs

Thank you very much. Did you get that from their website or via another link? I still cannot fathom where FMP got their newspaper archive from.

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Via their website. :)

5. Blackmogs

6. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

It is the same as the British Newspaper Archive (not the same as the 19th c. British Library Newspapers site) but with much inferior search engine and image viewer.

The Hampshire Telegraph is on the BNA too, so you should be able to find the same report on Louisa via FMP. Perhaps just search for Mrs Sherwin (since her first name isn't given in the report) then filter by date and newspaper title. Or use your library card to log into the 19th c. newspapers site.

P.S. there's nothing to stop you using the BNA to do your initial search: even if you're not registered you can still do searches and see partial search results, often enough to identify the newspaper title and issue date. Then switch to FMP to view the paper if you have an FMP sub but not a BNA one.

Blackmogs and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Blackmogs

Thanks v much. Library card worked - me and the sorting function a slightly different thing but I percy veered and got it. I also got a death notice that I bookmsrked and now cannot get back to. Not for her. :( but to someone her husband Atwick seems to have been married to.