Love (?) of history?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Bonzo Dog, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

My interest in history came despite the fact that my masters were all of the opinion I simply learn a long list of dates starting at 1948 BC, and accept what I was told without question. No efforts were made to introduce anything beyond dust and dry bones. My epiphany came in 1985 courtesy an American visitor when he asked if I knew the location of the house where Henry Tudor had stayed shortly before he marched his troops to Bosworth Field 500 years earlier. The house is literally just up the road from where I live and I hadn't a clue he'd even been there, or why he went to Bosworth Field. :(

gillyflower, Bay Horse, Libby and 8 others like this.
  2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Embarrassing isn't it Bonzo when a foreigner knows more of our history than we do ;). My husband, an Italian, knew more of British history than me but I'm catching up :p. He has a thirst for humanities, his geography knowledge is vast (he's a useful member in pub quiz teams), but his maths leaves something to be desired, I can beat him into fits with numbers :D

3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I too loathed history, all those battle dates and kings and queens. There were only 2 periods that I really enjoyed - the Romans and the Industrial Revolution, with hindsight probably because they were very much about how people lived. Looking back we never encroached into the 1900's past the death of Victoria, as that was 'not history' but modern times!

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Geography is my special thing too but not in places where they keep changing the County borders ;):mad:

gillyflower, Bay Horse, Sis and 4 others like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A Lass after my own heart, did we have same curriculum? Hope not as it would have been bit out of date. Hated the funny little brit men in their little round huts more of which I cannot remember due to the fact I hated learning of such. Sad it would be if one of them was an ancestor.

6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

History and biology were my favourite subjects at school. I hated maths with a passion, along with physics and chemistry. I think some of what you liked/hated had something to do with who taught you. My history teacher was brilliant and managed to take us on some great school trips - including one to Canterbury Cathedral which remains in my mind for all the wrong reasons. One of my fellow classmates managed to get locked in the loo.......

7. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

I loathed geography and any science but I absolutely loved history. Decided when having to make up my mind what I wanted to do for exam years that history would be first choice. How wrong could I be. The next year we spent a great deal of time going through medicine through the ages. What date did so and so discover this, what date did this medical miracle happen etc...... god how dull.

Suffice to say my love of history returned with my research of missing rellies:)

gillyflower, Sis, Libby and 4 others like this.
  8. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

This Sue loves Geography as well. I could care less about old wars and history was only interesting if you lived in Eastern Canada and I grew up in the west. The geography angle drew me to searching out my ancestors. I love seeing where they lived and what they did.

9. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

You only had to do History in the first 3 years of high school unless you was going to do it as a part of your career choice. I stopped after the 3rd year. All we did was draw rings around mountains giving the height in feet and how rivers would flow past them. Three bloomin years of that was enough. Never learned a thing about where places were. I have learned all that from doing genealogy.

History was the same, curriculum wise. I stopped that after 3rd year too. Three years of nothing but the Battle of Hastings was more than I could stand. Nothing about other history at all. Why not teach us about the Battle of Mortimer's Cross, only down the road from our school. It was a major battle during the war of the roses.

I gave up on school and couldn't wait to leave.

I think genealogy should be taught as a part of the curriculum.

Bay Horse, AnnB, Bonzo Dog and 5 others like this.
  10. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Absolutely! I am currently an assessor for a lass who is undertaking genealogy as part of her Duke of Edinburgh Award. :)

gillyflower, Bay Horse, AnnB and 8 others like this.
  11. CaroleF

CaroleF Well-Known Member

What a pity you didn't enjoy the 'Medicine through Time' GCSE course. You should have been doing a whole lot more than just plodding through dates so it does sound as if you weren't very well taught. (Other GCSE History courses were available eg. Modern World history, but what a school offered would depend on the choice made by the Head of Dept) I spent most of my career (teaching secondary school History) trying to convince kids that 'dates' were the least important thing in History. There were always some who couldn't see that cause and consequence, the relative importance of various factors, similarity and difference, the evaluation of sources, the ability to reach reasoned judgements based on the evidence were what (academic) history was really about. That's exciting and challenging. What a great shame your experience was different :-(

gillyflower, HildaW, LianeH and 3 others like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Our 'modern' history is only very short so is much easier to learn.
    As for geography, I love my old Britannica World Atlas. Forget the internet. That massive book takes to me places I would never think to look up online.
    Don't laugh, but I love street directories too. :reading:
    When we return to U3A next week. we are doing Australian explorers. Cannot wait. So much so that my reference books have been out all week getting ready.:)

13. Ma-dotcom

This geographical bent is one thing I enjoy on F.book when people are mentioned as 'checking into' some place & a map is provided. Just this morning I wandered around the north of England viewing some spots I'd not come across before. [made me late arriving here.]:oops:

Street directories, yep good to have.
    Shame that a local Library sold off an A3 map book of England which I used to borrow frequently,- it had an index in the back to rival a phone book. Every imaginable town, village or creek was in it.

14. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

We had a History teacher who killed the subject stone dead for me at 'O' Level. The way he taught us about the Industrial Revolution and political history bored me rigid, and History was the only subject I failed. I got a couple of Prime Ministers and what they did completely tangled up, and politics still leaves me cold. :D

Bay Horse, LianeH, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

I've always loved history for as long as I can remember - fascinated by the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons and then moved onto the Middle Ages. Apart from school curriculae I had no knowledge of modern history until I started reading about it later in life. I also was captivated by genealogical tables and would spend hours making up trees and histories to go with them (from the age of about 11). It could have its drawbacks though - on a holiday in Scotland when I was about 12, we visited Culloden Moor and the guide showed us the burial mounds of the various clans - in all innocence I asked him "Where are the English buried?". If he'd had a claymore.....

gillyflower, AnnB, Bonzo Dog and 5 others like this.
  16. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

You had better go buy one for yourself Wendy. They aren't dear, we bought ours online from a well known book supplier for around $20. It will go with us on our next trip together with an A4 for France (couldn't find a spiral bound A3 for France). We do use GPS but find following and checking our route on the maps useful, especially to see what else might be worth visiting along the way.

Sis, Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

My favourite subject at school was also History AnnB!!:) I also hated maths with a passion, and physics and chemistry!:( I agree that a lot had to do with the teachers that taught you. Most of my history teachers brought the subject to life for me, and dates became a minor consideration, although all the famous ones remain firmly etched in my mind.;) Kids of today are so lucky as they can watch fabulous history programmes on paid TV, or even on Youtube, most of them professionally and thoroughly researched.:cool: Had I had such wonderful programmes to watch and learn from I am sure my life would have taken a much different route!:rolleyes: Diana

gillyflower likes this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Esther, I hadn't thought of trying online, it's something I don't do unless Genealogicaly related. I'd tried lots of book stores. I do however have most of England now in photocopied pages they used to almost cover one wall in the room I called my own before we moved. Now the wall would probably collapse if I stuck maps up here of himself would :(

Sis and Archie's Mum like this.
  19. Ma-dotcom

Should read

20. Archie's Mum

Didn't even notice :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom likes this.