Luke Barnes

Discussion in 'Monmouthshire' started by Alison, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Alison

Alison Member

My Great Great Grandfather, Luke Barnes has presumably died but I have been unable to locate his death which as my daughter says makes him quite special as he would be approaching 200 years old!!!!

Luke was born in Mangotsfield, South Gloucestershire in 1824 to a Luke and Elizabeth Barnes and married Hannah Rawlings 13/9/1847 at St. Saviour's in Larkhill, Bath. They moved to Machen, Monmouthshire where my ancestor William Edgar Barnes was born in 1850. They had 2 other children that I am aware of and by census in 1861 were not living together. I have Hannah as a washerwoman and lodger in St. Woollos Newport described as married but no sign of Luke Barnes. At the end of 1861 Hannah has a child by the widower in whose house she is lodging !!!!!!! At the end of 1862 Hannah marries the widower, in Newport and describes herself as a widow!!!!!!!!

Now I do know that not everyone tells the truth and not every vicar checks up on status of those getting married. They were married out of their parish so this may be the case here. I also wondered if Luke and Hannah had come to some agreement so both could go they own way because divorce was not easy in 1861 (was it possible?).

I have found a death for a Luke Barnes in Bolton 1860 but this Luke was married to an Elizabeth Barnes and had been for a number of years, with a James Barnes being named as his father. Now surely he did not lie on this certificate as well?

A number of A..... trees contain a death for Luke in 1860/1 but they can not give me the actual place of death, though one says back in Mangotsfield, South Gloucestershire. Having trawled parish records for Machen/Risca/St. Woolos as well as Mangotsfield and Downend I have yet to discover where and when he died

Any suggestions? Help? Advice?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Possible, but expensive. We have a brief article on the subject. :) However, many people went in for the 'poor man's divorce' - aka bigamy.

I see from the 1851 census (HO 107, piece 2453, folio 494, page 17) that Luke was an Innkeeper and Labourer. This led me to wonder if there were any licencing records held in the Gwent Archives that might point to when he stopped being the Innkeeper and moved on.

3. Alison

Alison Member

Thanks for this suggestion, in 1851 he did not own the pub but was the tenant and he was not there in 1861 but I will get in touch with Gwent Archives to see if they hold that sort of information.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Well, there is no death for a Luke Barnes registered in 1859 to 1862 in Gloucestershire.
    Using a search in all areas, I just got the Bolton chappie.

Even searching 1851 to 1861 only brings up one alternative Luke in the country - and he died in Chester le Street in County Durham. Seems unlikely, but who knows - he might have decided to get right away, perhaps took up mining?

Looks like this is going to be one of those difficult ones!

5. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Could he have emigrated or been transported?

6. Alison

Alison Member

Anything is possible!!!!!! Well apart from the fact that he is still alive. Thanks for these suggestions I will follow them up,