Lunacy in Surrey

Discussion in 'Court Records' started by annabel, May 3, 2014.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I have managed to find out that Frances Fricker born 1833/4 in Hoxne, Suffolk was admitted to the Surrey County Lunatic Asylum, Wandsworth on May 6th 1881
    She was previously living in New Street, Newington

The asylum later became Springfield Hospital, and I found her being admitted in their register at LMA

I am trying to find if there are any records of her committal, like maintenance orders, but I find it very difficult to understand how to look for these.
    She lived in Southwark, and apparently would have had to go to a workhouse to be assessed first, although I have not found her in a creed register to find out which one.

The hospital was later taken over by Middlesex, but the only things I have found so far for here have been the wrong places.

I'm very confused as to even which area to look for, and what to look in. Can anyone advise?

2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have just looked the hospital up on TNA's Hospital Records Database and, apart from the LMA, which you have tried, and the Surrey History Centre mentioned by gillyflower, the only other suggestion appears to be Springfield Hospital itself.

Click here and you will see what I mean. :)

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

By the way, according to the workhouse website mentioned above, there was a workhouse in Southwark, but it became part of the St Saviour's Union in 1869. The Creed Registers from 1856 to 1938 for St Saviours's are held by the LMA.

5. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Presumably you're familiar with this leaflet -

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...5-records-of-patients-in-london-hospitals.pdf

In the LMA online catalogue, the records of Springfield Hospital are under H46/SP. Drill down to lower levels and see what they have.

You're not confining yourself to what's online, are you?

So far as I can see 1881 is missing from the Reception Orders for Lunatics of Southwark Board of Guardians (presumably what you need)

Have you spoken to them at LMA?

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Thank you everyone for your answers. I have already contacted the Surrey History Centre. They could only tell me her patient number, the patient notes are missing for the dates she was there.

I have been to the LMA, and I looked through the Newington Workhouse Creed register to no avail. They helped me find the H46/SP admission records, but its only a list, then I had to go home. Before I make the trek to go back, I am trying to find out if there is actually anything there for me to look at.

Thank you for finding out about the reception orders for lunatics, that is the sort of thing I was wondering about. Would there be any similar thing to do with poor law and who paid etc that might be relevant?