MacCallion (Collins) History prior to 1860 (Catholic)

Discussion in 'County Tyrone' started by Ferrfuzz, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

We can only assume the years are correct based on information from headstones in Corrimal Cemetery NSW Australia.
    Looking for a family link to
    Patrick MacCallion (?) Born 1793, Co-Tyrone (?) Ireland. Died 3/9/1883 Wollongong, NSW, Australia as Patrick Collins.
    Rachel (Rachael) MacCallion (nee Woods) Born 1792. Ireland. Died 5/7/1878 Wollongong, NSW Australia as Rachael Collins.
    They were married in Fintona, Parish of Donacavey, Co-Tyrone in 1813 (?)
    Migrated to Australia on the "Orestes" departing Ireland in December 1840 with 8 or 9 of their children.
    All information prior to this we have so far, is that it is believed Patricks parents were Patrick and Roseanne MacCallion.
    Several alternative surnames have been raised to no avail, these include - MacCailin, Campbell, MacCathmhaoil, MacCallan, MacAilin.
    These names most likely mean that they were of Scottish decent as galloglasses or 'Norse Soldiers' who arrived in Ireland to fight for Donal Oge O'Donnell in 1258.
    Any ideas, suggestions, directions to trace or find stories of anyone from the are of Fintona? Or suggestions of other names?
    Anything prior to Patrick and Rachel boarding the "Orestes" would be wonderful.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I can't answer or ask you a question about your McCallions on the Research Name Thread, so will ask here if that's OK.
    When I put the name 'Patrick McCallion' into Family Search, it also has the name Patrick Collins coming up. Is 'Collins' another form of McCallion?
    Orestes passenger list has the name spelled as above, i.e without the 'a'
    I have also found a couple of McCallions just by googling and a number of old enquiries which I believe you probably are aware of.
    So I will get back to Family Search and check out the 900 or so McCallion's/Collins listed there.

Sue

Joanne and Ferrfuzz like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Another spelling of the name seems to be 'McLeighlin' :confused:

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  4. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

The simple answer is yes. Patrick and Rachael Collins (post 1843 Australia) are listed as Patrick and Rachel MacCallion on the "Orestes" ship records. Their son John MacCallion, married Ann Colgan in Sydney on 20-6-1842, and their marriage certificate is also of the name MacCallion. Sometime between their marriage and the families departure from Sydney in 1846 the surname was changed to Collins as the land holdings they took up in the Bega Valley were all titled to the surname of Collins.

5. Archie's Mum

The image of the Orestes passenger list definitely has the name McCallion. No 'a'.
    There is also a James McCallion and a Margaret McCallion as well. Is James Patricks brother?

6. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

It gets rather confusing on the alternatives. If you keep the 'a' in MacCallion, you are in the Scottish decent, of the galloglasses or 'Norse Soldiers' arriving in Ireland in 1258 to fight for Donal Oge O'Donnell.
    As soon as you drop the 'a' you then have a massive list of Irish possibilities. The primary difficulties the original researchers found was due to the family being Catholic there are very very few official records prior to 1858.
    A parish priest made some enquiries in Fintona (which was listed as their family residence) but in the 70's his enquires turned up no information.

7. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

The children who travelled with Patrick and Rachel were;
    John, Patrick, James, William, Phillip, Thomas, Peter, and Rosanna.

8. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

The 'Orestes' made several trips with immigrants to Australia. My direct ancestors were on the voyage that arrived on the 14/15th May 1841. They believe Owen and possibly other family members arrived at different times, but not being able to pin down exactly who they were before boarding, it has been difficult to find. Though if other family members travelled under McCallion or Collins after them on other ships, that opens a whole new train of possibilities.

9. Archie's Mum

James McCallion age 38 labourer
    Margaret age 38 farm servant....both from Tyrone
    They are listed just above Patrick and family (named in previous post) on page 4 of the image

10. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Margaret may be the daughter they were unable to find any information on other than born 1817.

11. Archie's Mum

Except they are listed as a married couple, not singles.

12. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Did a quick calculation, and yes they would have to have been siblings rather than children of.. I'm hopeless at the ships records on computer. I have photo copies of a few of the documents from the ship, but find them terribly difficult to be precise on the spelling as it appears as M (squiggle) Callion and I have based the name on the interpretation/translation of the 'cousins', Parish priests and document people, who did the research in the 1970's without the aid of computers and internet.

13. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Rather than turn Ferrfuzz's introduction thread into research, I have moved these last posts over to her McCallion thread. :)

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Thank you Jan.

Daft Bat likes this.
  15. Archie's Mum

I have also found another McCallion. Michael McCallion who was transported for stealing a cow in 1828 on the Mangles 5
    He was born in 1807 and his native place was Derry. So that may be another place to look. Not saying he was a close relative though.
    You will find the passenger list on NSW State Records...on-line shipping lists. They are listed in year of arrival. The image mentioned is on page 4 of the Orestes May 1841

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  16. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Daft Bat likes this.
  17. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Brain now seriously overloaded.. LOL
    Lets see if I can do a summary.
    McCallion is derived from MacCallion (circa 1600's)
    Patrick McCallion (MacCallion) + Roseanne (nee ?) parents of-
    Patrick McCallion DOB 1783(MacCallion)M: 1813 + Rachel (nee Woods)DOB 1792.
    Patrick & Rachel migrated to Australia on the Oretes. Departure was December 1840. Arrival 14/15 May 1841 Sydney.
    Their children who traveled with them (born in/around Fintona Ireland)
    John DOB 7-8-1819 M:20-6-1842 Ann Colgan
    Patrick DOB 1821 M:1845 Eliza Logan
    William DOB 1822 M:? Margaret Keys
    Phillip DOB 1826 M:1856 Mary Flanagan
    Thomas DOB 1829 - No information
    Peter DOB 1836 Died 1863
    James* DOB 14-6-1835 M:12-10-1862 Mary Bourke
    *This is my gggrandfather
    Roseanne DOB 1839 M:17-6-1861 Henry McMullen

So pre migration, it appears that even though Patrick and Rachel are listed as Donacavey Co-Tyrone, Patricks family most likely were Co-Donegal or Derry prior to he and Rachel Woods settling in Fintona. Possibly Patrick moved to help/work/manage property of Rachels family. (Woods)

18. Archie's Mum

Seems that, according to an old rootsweb enquiry that James McCallion was the son of Denis McCallion and Jane Cory. Their daughter Bridget is listed with the single females on the Orestes, she was 21. They had 2 other married daughters. So James not a sibling of your Patrick and we can forget them for a bit.:rolleyes:
    Also the same enquiry states that Rachel Woods was Protestant and half the children as well ??? Were her parents William Woods and Margaret Jobb?
    Just overloaded the brain again...sorry.:(

19. Archie's Mum

OOOH Where's Stockinbingal? Oooh Cootamundra. :)

20. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

That's the place.. 25-35km from Harden, Cootamundra, Temora, and 45 ish from Young on the other side..