Madley Park Witney park and pick farm?

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by Russell, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

Hi, I belong to the Madley Park Residents Association and we are looking for historical information on our estate. We are always told there was a pick your own on our estate but finding it difficult to get any more details or photos. Does anyone know the farm or farmers who ran the pick your own during the 1980-90s? What was sold and grown there, how long was it a pick your own farm..etc...any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Hello again (I think we met in Witney library earlier today).

It was called the Witney Park and Pick. You may find some bits and pieces by googling. I just found this notice, about an application to abstract water, in the London Gazette in 1983, for example:

http://www.
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/49356/pages/6844/page.pdf

It's interesting that the surname List comes up there: I know the Lists (who came to Witney from Devon) were associated with Northfield Farm for many years.

Perhaps back copies of the 'Witney Gazette' may fill in some of the story? You might also try putting a letter in the 'Gazette' yourself: local people's memories are a great resource!

Ma-dotcom, Flook and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks, for the good leads.

4. Yeates

Yeates Active Member

You can't beat the memories of the old-timers. I serve on a committee with several other retired people. While I am a relative newcomer, other of these people have lived here for generations and know EVERYTHING. Also, there is usually one coffee shop in a town where the local old-timers gather and would have many stories of times past. Our town also has a small, local historical society, members of whom had ancestors who started the town, let alone have stories. It is how we got information about our place, and even an early 20th century photo of our road.---Yeates

5. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks Yeates & Huncamunca. I've been away on holiday and just back to doing some more research. Haven't been able to find much more out but am hopefully going to talk to the gentleman that owns Northfield Farm this week, as I think he sold off some on the land for the estate. Sheila at the museum said I need the name of the farm/farms and that would help to look them up on the OS Farm map.

6. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

The name of the farm should be shown on the 25-inch OS map; it is not shown on the 1-inch edition.

7. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Your address for Madley Park has a Northfield Farm Lane, Witney, Oxfortdshire OX28 1UE perhaps it was known as Northfield Farm ?

8. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I am pretty sure that it must once have been part of Northfield Farm, which used to be much bigger than it is now. The Victoria County History notes that 'Eton College's Northfield farm comprised over 400 a. by the later 19th century':

http://www.
    british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1569#n49

Though it has a Witney postal address now, that area would have been in the parish of Cogges. Cogges: a guide to the museum and village (edited by John Steane; published by Oxfordshire County Council's Dept of Museum Services in 1984) has a copy of a map of the parish, from 1830 if I am reading the date correctly. A large area between the Hailey and North Leigh boundaries and Cogges Wood is shown as belonging to Eton College. I think what is now Madley Park would be entirely within this area.

Another plan (at Oxfordshire History Centre) made in connection with a proposed railway in the 1840s shows that the Provost and Fellows of Eton College still owned property in Cogges then. The archivist at Eton College may be able to advise on whether they have any records relating to Northfield Farm.

Your plan of contacting the present owner seems a good one too. :)

9. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Sorry I can't find anything for Northfield Farm. I can only suggest looking at old maps also perhaps local Archives or land registry would have more info

10. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Doing an address search on FMP 1881 census shows a Newlands Northfield Farm, Coggs. Head is Thomas Woodfine farmer of 425 acres.

RG11 p1515 f18 p30 crown copyright

11. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

If you look at this information Huncamunca found - then at the bottom of the section on Economic History (of Cogges) there is a large scale map from 1870 which you can compare with a modern day map.