Margaret born 1930, adopted by LeGrove, no BMD entry

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Murfomurf, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

Yes, it certainly gives a young person a better sense of identity to know something about a missing parent. Psychologically healthy people can accept not knowing usually but most people are just big kids forever and can't stand back and survey the situation, like divorce, objectively. It's like this thing at the moment about feeling empathic with childless women (not by choice). First they were scorned as "frigid" or "selfish" and now it has swung around to forming groups and having therapeutic meetings. Maybe something similar can happen with families, unexpected children and divorce.

GrannyBarb, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  2. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there. Is it possible he was her natural father but away at sea when she was born? Ivy didn't register her birth because she was waiting to see if he would recognise her as his. A year later it may have been easier to adopt her than do a late birth cert.! I believe there was a limited time to register births...

Murfomurf, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  3. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

The time limit to register a birth is 42 days. Don't know if it was the same in 1930 but have an idea in my head that it was still 6 weeks...

Murfomurf and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

It did cross my mind that Reg may have been her Dad but if that’s the case then why not tell her he was.
    Was she always aware that she was adopted by him or did she find that out later as sometimes happens?
    I have a feeling her father was known and close to the family which is why no name was forthcoming.

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  5. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

My thought was that he was away at sea for some months and didn't know Ivy was having a baby. Which would explain why her birth wasn't registered. By the time he came home it might have been passed the 6 weeks to register her. And maybe Ivy didn't know if he would want the baby, the only way he could claim her as his was to adopt her. I can't think of any other reason her birth wasn't registered. Also at that time people were very victorian and maybe it didn't accure to them to tell her he was her nature father. People didn't talk about such things. It wasn't until she needed her birth cert. did she find out she wasn't registered. I maybe way off but would be happy to add him in my tree as her father. My mum was very victorian,families kept secrets. It wasnt until just before she died in 1974 that she told me that my eldest brother wasn't dads. He was born in 1921 and she kept that secret all those years. He had found out some years before when he had to get his birth cert. We only knew there was a rift between him and mum. Never the reason for it. She never told my siblings either.

Murfomurf, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  6. Murfomurf

Sounds plausible that Reg was her natural father but I don't think there was the emotional attachment among the family members you might expect. A late registration isn't unheard of, especially with ordinary, law-abiding people who keep wages receipts for 50 years! I think Margaret was told of her adoption before she left home at 17 as she was involved with her own husband and family after that and emigrating to Australia. They weren't letter writers or anything, so there is no written evidence of any discussions or questions by Margaret about her natural father. I think we'll have to settle for no Birth Certificate and no clues!

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  7. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

That was in the time people didn't show affection.. The husband was known to call his wife Mrs.... And she would call him Mr....such a different time to grow up in. I would try to research Merchant Navy records to see if it was possible he was away, they were traders and could travel to different Country's without coming home, taking goods to different places . It wasn't unusual for no affection to be shown.It's your tree so you have to go with what you believe may have been the case. Best wishes with your research. Val...

8. Murfomurf

Thanks Val. I'll look at the merchant shipping records- I know Reggie was briefly in Dublin shortly before the marriage so will look further back. Now I have a different problem in Essex/Greater London!

Sis likes this.
  9. Murfomurf

Hi Val and Co., since the last update we have discovered that Ivy Holmes was sent back from Gillingham to family in Bradford, Yorkshire to have her baby. Margaret was registered in Bradford and a copy of her Birth Cert has no father's name. Apparently Ivy was supported for at least 5 years by the biological father of her child as someone with 2 little daughters with him brought cash to Margaret's house every month, as told to her by relatives. However, we also have a group of good DNA Matches to Margaret and her children, including modern day people born in the 1990s! One close relative has a known Pakistani father but his mother was an adoptee and only knows her biol mother, another one who would not divulge the father's name! The DNA trail has actually led to us doubting that we have the correct parents for Margaret's grandfather, Harold Holmes! Now we think he may have been born in the USA. It is infuriating!

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.