Margaret Tracy

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by mistybay, Jan 4, 2014.

1. mistybay

mistybay New Member

Looking to find info on any person mentioned but especially [Margaret Tracy]. maybe Irish [family rumour]
    She was my grand mother's - mother. Have Elizabeth Agnes Hughes 1880 birth certificate which says "Margaret Hughes [ Tracy] was mother at 5 Whippery Lane in Rickersgate Carlisle Cumberland", can not find Margaret for sure anywhere. or her marriage - to Father, Daniel Hughes, Hawker of Hardware. Also found 1884 death GRO of a Daniel Hughes and have certificate with trade as Hawker! No record of family in 1881 UK census or before or after that date. Grand mother always claimed she work in a bar/pub from young age after death of parents? Found my Elizabeth in 1891 Uk Census- Carlisle St. Cuthbert Without by accident reseaching her family friends {at Elizabeth Dixon then Huddleston then Hiddleston by 1911 in Canada, some mystery here too.} as a Visitor. Have Elizabeth Hughes as Betsey in 1901 Census with J. Wrigley of Clitheroe as Servant. I'll take any help in expanding my UK search for any individuals here.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Dick

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Dick,no luck for me so far with your Elizabeth Agnes .Found a few Elizabeths with a Margaret all in Lancashire.
    1881 not many people in Whippery lane,
    Jane Dixon -head 49,of Moorhouses, Joseph R. Dixon 27-Carlisle
    John dixon 21-coachman, Elizabeth Dixon 18 dom.serv.James -son 14, Mary, dtr 7, tom son 11. Martha Lilly visitor. Are these your Dixons?
    all of Armathwaite
    next house is 17
    1871 has no 5.Whippery as a lodging house, many people- not yours.
    no.6 also a lodging house & has a Cath Hughes widow of Ireland-pedlar.
    Sorry unable to do much due to small keypad etc.
    Some-one will come along & help I'm sure.

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi mistybay,
    What are the full details of this death certificate, please? Age, where died, who registered the death etc. The more information that we have, the better placed we are to have a rummage. :)

Thanks,

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

That's the correct family in the 1881 census, Wendy. 1891 census Elizabeth A HUGHES is with Jane's daughter & son Elizabeth and Thomas DIXON at 6 King Street Carlisle. No luck finding Margaret yet nor a marriage for Daniel HUGHES to a Margaret.

Janet

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The only Daniel HUGHES I can find in Cumberland in the 1871 census is one aged 26, unmarried, Labourer in Iron Works, born Ireland who is boarding at 49 Bowthorn? Road, Cleator.

Janet

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

That fits with the death that mistybay found:
    June quarter 1884, Daniel HUGHES, Carlisle registration district, volume 10b, page 298, aged 39

7. mistybay

mistybay New Member

I have that Daniel Hughes plus couple others from surrounding areas.
    Not sure others relavent though!?

8. mistybay

mistybay New Member

Hi the certificate says Daniel dead in the Cumberland Infirmary at Carlisle, Age was given 39yrs, with Trade as I provided 'Hawker', which matches trade on My Elizabeth's certificate for father as 'Hawker of Hardware' The Coroner supplied and sign death certificate to registry. Probable my guy but no back up to that as in Marriage or etc.

9. mistybay

mistybay New Member

Thanks for this , Yes these are the Dixon clan, I follow they go all over the place with lots of children and name changes for them all, not sure official or just convenience. They are connected, but I didn't get enough info from them when I could have from [as I call Auntie] had life and times of the whole clan. So left researching where I can an getting little bit here and there???!

10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Dick, perhaps the reason for not finding Daniel on censuses is his being a hawker. may have been on the road at census times?
    He may have even been out of country.
    Found one Margaret Tracy - Cleator, but she was the 33 yr old wife of an iron miner. I am not having luck with this machine. will have to give away searches for now.

11. kaytee

kaytee New Member

Hi there,there is a family of Traceys(John,Harriet and family)living Cleator 1861.Some of them are Iron Ore Miners.On the 1871 census Harriet is widowed and running a Public House.John was born in Derry,Ireland.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hi Kaytee and welcome to Top Dog.

13. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I have moved a query by member daisydogno1 to a thread of its own HERE

14. luciathompson

luciathompson Guest

According to my finding on mistybay:
    Daniel HUGHES, June 1884, Carlisle district, volume 10, page 298, aged 41

15. luciathompson