Marriage in USA

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Sis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

How do I begin to try and find a marriage of a couple that lived in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York?

2. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

Do you have a subscription to any paid site which gives you access to USA records? I have just done a search on Ancestry with keywords Onondaga County and some results have shown. If you can give names and details I will look for you.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

3. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Anneb,

Do you have a time frame?

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I visit NewYork frequently Anneb, checking on Family, (online)have just recently found with help, a marriage in Westchester NY in 1934.

archives.com/genealogy/vital-records-onondaga-county-ny.html

Haven't checked it out but it may be of help to you.

aah, just found it to be a bit commercial.

5. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

6. Sis

Hi Malcolm
    Thank you for your most generous offer. He is Robert A. Goodwin born 1838 in Holborn (don't know what the A stands for). I was told by a distant relative that he went to America c.1860. He was first found in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York census living with his married sister. He couldn't be found in any other census. So unfortunately I don't have a time frame for when his marriage may have taken place. If it helps he was a photographer and from his death being reported in newspapers I have discovered that his wife's name was Catherine R. and in her obituary it gave her bothers name as John McHale.
    Many thanks.
    anneb

7. Sis

8. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Hi Anne

Nothing on FamilySearch (I guessed you had already tried but it was worth a shot), I've tried FindMyPast also with no luck. Hopefully Malcolm can find something on Ancestry (I don't have an International subscription unfortunately)

Christel

9. Sis

Thanks Christel. It may well be one of those elusive dates that you never find.
    anneb

10. Malcolm Webb

Hi anneb,
    I presume this is your man:-
    1870 Federal Census
    (New York-Onondaga County-Syracuse Ward 8-Page 39 of 111)
    Scott Thomas W, age 58, male, Grocer, born Scotland
    Scott Jane, age 54, female, keep house, born England
    Scott Jane E, age 32, female, music teacher, born England
    Scott Caroline H, age 20, female, no occupation given, born England
    Scott Mary E, age 17, female, no occupation given, born [Mass?]
    Jacobz Morrish, age 33, male, Cigar Maker, born England
    Goodwin Robert A, age 31, male, Photographer, born England

It appears as though this is his baptism:-
    Baptised 28 Jan 1838, St Andrews Holborn Parish Registers Page 268 No. 3039, Robert son of Edward & Jemima Goodwin, abode Shoe Lane, father occupation Vellum Binder. Born 2 January 1838.

I cannot find him in any other US census but I have found Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, in several Syracuse City Directories up to 1900. Unfortunately there is a Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, at the same location in 1848 when your Robert was only 10 and presumably still in the UK.

There is a Robert A. Goodwin in the US Naturalisation Index:-
    Robert A. Goodwin, Kanake County Court Illinois, March 26 1898 Certificate Volume B Page 302 (miner) Witness Andrew Blue.
    I have not yet been able to locate the original documents for this naturalisation so cannot verify if it is your Robert.

There is also a burial for a Robert A. Goodwin:-
    28 January 1907 New York buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Onondaga County, Secton 28 Lot 105. No age at death is given so his birth year cannot be verified. This from findagrave.com

I cannot find a marriage record or an immigration record for Robert.

I have to do other things now (the lawn beckons) but will have another poke around later.

Sorry I wasn't more successful at my first attempt..

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

11. Sis

Silly me of course dates are needed! Supposedly arrived in USA c.1860 on 1870 census living with his sister not married. Didn't know about wife until death details were found he died in 1907.
    annb

12. Sis

Wow, yes that's him in the census and his baptism. I also found another Robert A Goodwin photographer in 1892 in Syracus but his birth date worked back to 1852. Goodness sometimes this genealogy makes my head spin:confused: Having said tt Ilove it!! Thanks for all of your help Malcolm

13. Malcolm Webb

Hi anneb,

Are these Robert A. Goodwin's parents and siblings (all from the IGI):-
    Edward Goodwin married Jemima Rees 26 December 1824 St Andrews Holborn.
    Children of Edward & Jemima Goodwin baptised at St Andrews High Holborn:-

Edward James born 20 Feb 1825 baptised 25 Dec 1832
    Mary Ann born 1 Oct 1827 baptised 25 Dec 1832
    Thomas born 20 Jan 1834 baptised 13 Sep 1835
    Henry born 10 Nov 1835 baptised 6 Dec 1835
    Robert born 2 Jan 1838 baptised 28 Jan 1838
    Charles born 10 May 1840 baptised 31 May 1840
    Arthur born 25 May 1843 baptised 3 Sep 1843

Not had any more success Stateside yet.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

14. Sis

Hi Malcom
    Yes that's them. Thanks you for all of your help, I just didn't know where to start in the US.
    Cheers
    anneb

15. Malcolm Webb

Hi anneb,

I am disappointed that I could not get more information for you from the US. I had great luck with an ancestor of my wife's who went AWOL from Leeds in 1904 after his father died. I traced him to Seattle and found more documentation for him on-line than I have been able to find for many ancestors here in the UK.

Is the burial I found your Robert A. Goodwin: (28 January 1907 New York buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Onondaga County, Secton 28 Lot 105. No age at death is given so his birth year cannot be verified. This from findagrave.com)

You say you are aware of an obituary for his wife which suggests she may have been Catherine R. McHale. Do you have a time-frame for her obituary and for his emigration to the US -- you said about 1860 but I cannot find him on any ship's list for emigrants to the US. I will try the ship's list for Canada later today as that is how I found Sheila's "Uncle Herbert". Although he settled in Seattle, he sailed from Liverpool to New Brunswick and entered the US over the Canadian Border.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

16. Sis

Hi Malcom
    Yes, that's Robert burial. Sorry I really must remeber to at least mention a time frame. I have no other time frame for Robert going to the Us other than 1860 ish as given to me by an ancestor of Roberts, whom I have unfortunately lost contact with. I am at work but from memory Catherine died in 1923 in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York.

As we all know I am sure, there are some folf that you can only find so much information on. Thank you so much for your help Malcolm. I have on been on one other forum and that was for a short time. I was blown away with the help I recevied there on a brickwall, as I am here.:D

Cheers
    anneb

17. Malcolm Webb

Hi anneb.

I believe this is YOUR Robert in the UK Census for 1841 and 1851:-

1841 UK Census (Middlesex-St Bride & Precinct-District10-Page 11 of 32)
    Residence 2A Shoe Lane
    Edward Goodwin, age 35, shopkeeper, born in county Y
    Edward Goodwin, age 15, born in county Y
    Thomas Goodwin, age 10, born in county Y
    Robert Goodwin, age 5, born in county Y
    Charles Goodwin, age 1, born in county Y
    Jemima Goodwin, age 35, born in county N
    Mary Ann Goodwin, age 10,born in county Y
    1851 UK Census HO107, Piece1527, Folio351, Page8 (Middlesex-St Bride-District 7c-Page 9 of 45)
    Residence 15B Shoe Lane
    Edward J. Goodwin, age 25, Head, Unm. Bookbinder, Middlesex, London
    Mary Ann Goodwin, age 23, Sister, Unm. St Andrews London
    Robert Goodwin, age 14, Brother, Unm. St Brides London
    Charles Goodwin, age 12, Brother, Unm. St Brides London

We have YOUR Robert's birth date from his baptism record as 2 January 1838 and a birth registration in the GRO Index for Robert Goodwin, 1838 March quarter, Faringdon Volume 2 Page 93 -- St Andrews Holborn was in the Faringdon Registration District at that time. We believe we have him in the US 1870 Federal Census age 31, born in England and a photographer. (Everything seems to fit with what we know so far except that he has picked up a middle initial "A" which does not appear in any of the UK records).

So far, so good.

Then we have a Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, in the Syracuse City Directories continually from 1848 to 1893 and we have a burial for a Robert A. Goodwin in 1907.

These are the Syracuse City Directory entries:-
    1848 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 314 S. Salina h. 25 Crouse bldg
    1868 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, bds, 192 E.Washington
    1869 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, bds. 192 E. washington
    1872 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 68 S Salina, h, 86 E Genesee
    1874 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 3 N. Salina
    1879 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 60 S. Salina bds. Washington House
    1880 Robert A. Goodwin Photographer employs 2 males and 2 females.
    1884 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 60 S. Salina
    1885 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 60 S. Salina, bds. Hotel Burns
    1887 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 60 S. Salina, bds. Hotel Burns
    1890 Advert “Goodwin Robert A. the leading photographer, 314 S. Salina, h. 25 Crouse Bldg S. Warren
    1893 Robert A. Goodwin, Photographer, 314 S. Salina, rooms 25 Crouse bldg

On the face of it, this seems to fit with YOUR Robert.

BUT -- the existence of a Robert A. Goodwin Photographer in Syracuse in 1848 clearly cannot be YOUR Robert as he was still in the UK in the 1851 census, evidence as above. For me, this may cast some doubt on whether any of the others are your Robert. By implication they all appear to be one and the same photographer. Robert A. Goodwin could, of course, be a company name which may also explain why I cannot find a Robert A. Goodwin in the US Federal Census for Syracuse.

ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE
    I cannot locate Robert A. Goodwin in any other US or UK census;
    I cannot find him on any ship's list from England to the US or Canada;
    I cannot find any Immigration for him into the US. I have particularly checked the border crossings from Canada to the US as that is how I found my wife's "Uncle Herbert" who settled in Seattle.

Regrettably I don't think I can go any further. But it is as much a puzzle to me now as it is to you and my curiosity will keep bringing me back to have another look. If I turn anything up I will let you know.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

18. Sis

Hi Malcolm
    I was originally given the information by a distant relative, who lives in America, a long time ago. I'm afraid I took what he said as correct and didn't verify it myself. I didn't have a great deal of interest at the time as he was a direct descendant which was who I was concentrating on at the time. But looking at what you have given me I too don't think that the Robert A Goodwin of the directories and the death is my Robert. The 1870 census Robert appears to be correct as the family he is with is his sister's sister-in-law. I have often wondered were the middle initial of A came from, may be an enumerators error.

Thanks once again Malcolm for all of your help, I really do appreciate it. Even though I have found out the on the whole it's not my Robert Goodwin, it's so good to have other peoples view on things. So glad I joined this forum.:D
    Cheers
    Anne