Marriage Licences

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by MollyMay, Jun 4, 2022.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

FMP has a transcription of a marriage licence (Faculty Office Marriage Licences) for H Meredith and Elizth Smead 4/8/1825
    We know Henry Meredith married Elizabeth Smead 6/8/1825 at St James, Westminster.

Would the licence show any other details? I seem to think I saw one before where there were 'guarantors?' who also signed.

If so, does anyone know if the original licence is available online, as we are trying to determine if this Henry Meredith is the 'right' one.

We cannot find Henry and Elizabeth in 1841, nor on any other census:( - they are not the Henry and Elizabeth Meredith and family at 9 Warwick Court, Holborn in 1851 and the same couple in 1861 on RG09/182/84/76, these we have been able to eliminate via their children.

We cannot find anything on Elizabeth Smead:headbang: (you would think with a name like that it might be easy) prior to her marriage (PR image on Anc), although one of the witnesses is Edward Chapman, and in 1819 in Marylebone, a Henry Meredith had banns published to marry an Elizabeth Chapman, but her mother objected as she was only 17, again the image on Anc., and as far as we can find, no marriage actually took place. FS does record such marriage, but the date given is the first date of the calling of the banns.

As ever, any help/info gratefully received :)

2. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I recently got a copy of a faculty office licence from a similar time. I had to go to the Society of Genealogists and pay £15 for a photo by email as I'm not a member. It is really the swearing of an oath, mine only said the names, date and parish they are from, if single and of full age and where they married, no witnesses or parents. Useful for me, but maybe not for you

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and arthurk like this.
  3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Faculty Office marriage licences aren't online, but as Annabel said, you can order copies of the original document from the Society of Genealogists. My wife is a member and also paid £15 recently, so it seems to be the same for everyone.

What she got (and what Annabel's sounds like) is the allegation, which is only one of the types of document associated with a licence, others being the bond and the licence itself. Possibly that's all that has survived of the Faculty Office paperwork, but I think it may be the only one that gives ages.

I thought sometimes allegations gave the groom's occupation and the name of the bride's father (or deceased husband), but maybe that varied over time and/or from one place to another.

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Thank you both. It seems like taking a gamble on paying the price, and maybe getting some more information, if it has survived.