Marriage

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by Lone Pine, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

Hi All

Can anyone look up for me a marriage in Hampshire not sure where it was. What I want to find out is where the marriage is between a Elizabeth Cook and John Guest, I am determined that somehow this year I am going to track down my 2nd cousin. Thank you

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

John J GUEST wed Elizabeth COOKE December quarter 1917, Winchester registration district, volume 2c, page 289.

:)

Ma-dotcom and Libby like this.
  3. Lone Pine

Jan you are a star thank you XXX

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Don't know if this will help at all and you may already have this information, but in case not: John J GUEST is living at East Shalton, Winchester in the 1939 Register. Shown as a General Labourer Pensioner & ARP Warden, born 29 March 1884, wife Elizabeth born 25 January 1891, followed by 2 redacted records and an unmarried Emily COOKE born 21 November 1896.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Lone Pine

Thank you a bit confused.com here cause I have their daughter Dorothy E Guest as being born in Orsett, Essex.

6. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The 1939 register does not give relationships. There is nothing to say this is their daughter. Maybe a sister of Elizabeth - going by the year of birth?

Was Elizabeth's mother's maiden name Bennett?

7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Freebmd has 1919 June Betty Guest mother Cooke born Christchurch, a son in 1924 mother Cooke, another son in 1930 mother Cooke. Both born
    Winchester
    Dorothy E born Sept qtr 1920 looks to be the sister of George F born Orsett June 1917

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

A John William Guest married Ivy Ellen Cook in Orsett in 1910 so it looks like you have another contender. If you have Dorothy E born Essex 1920 in your tree then I imagine that John an IVY are her parents.;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Is it Dorothy E Guest and Edward J Pritchard?

10. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There are two male GUEST children whose births are registered in Winchester with mother's maiden name as COOKE from 1924 onwards, so presumably these are the two redacted records in the 1939 Register in post 4. There appear to be at least 2 candidates for this John J GUEST in earlier census records, one born c1884 in Slapton, Devon, parents James & Ellen, and the other c1884 (John Joseph) in Newton, Lancashire, mother Kate a widow in the 1891 census.

If you are looking for Dorothy E GUEST, then the John William & Ivy Ellen GUEST mentioned by Sue in post 8, are in the 1920-1930 Electoral Registers of West Thurrock living at 6 Essex Road. They are still living there in the 1939 Register, where John W is described as a Post Office Cleaner & Sorting Clerk & Ivy E as non paid domestic duties. Two possible sons Harry & George plus one redacted record.

Janet