Marriages of the Richards family.

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Genie1, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I am sure that these are William Richards and Elizabeth Jane nee Williams children.
    Ellen Alice married James Olivey in 189 and I have found her in the censues up to 1911.
    William J born 1851 married Emma Williams 1871 in Mawgan in Meneage and witnesses were Thomas Williams signed his mark and Caroline Treloar.The last I see William is in 1871 and he is living in Manaccan and is a servant with I believe his brother Thomas.
    Elizabeth J marries John Henry Perry 1878 at Manaccan and I have found her in censues up to 1911.Witness x mark of Thomas Williams.
    Thomas Henry married Elizabeth Jane Chinn 1878 at Manaccan.Witnesses are Susan Chinn and James Charls Richards. Note spelling of Charles.Haven't found Thomas after 1871.
    Susan married James Henry Harris 1879 at St Keverne and I have found her in all of the censuses.
    No idea about James Charles after 1871.Probably emigrated.
    Harry Miles Richards-Australia.
    Annie Mary married Richard Cannicott.1886 and witness William Richards x his mark.Found her in all censuses.
    So I have to find William J after 1871.
    Thomas Henry after 1871.
    James Charles 1871.
    At least I have written them up here and if they disappear from my records as they did last week I shall know where to look.
    Maybe the missing ones emigrated together.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I think that I have found Thomas Henry and his wife in 1891/1901 and 1911.
    Living at Wendron.Thomas is a farmer.
    Can't find them in 1881 at the moment.

3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Found him and his wife and son living in Manaccan.Thomas's wife was a Chinn.

4. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Thomas Henry Richards and wife Elizabeth Jane nee Chinn had a son named Samuel Harry born 1894. I have now found him and he died 24 April 1916 and his name is on the Thiepval Memorial in France.

5. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Poor Samuel Harry won an award at a cattle show in July 1912 along with his brother Thomas Charles.
    Now will see what happened with Thomas Charles.

6. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I think that I have found William J (1851)
    William J born 1851 married Emma Williams 1871 in Mawgan in Meneage and witnesses were Thomas Williams signed his mark and Caroline Treloar.The last I saw William is in 1871 and he was living in Manaccan and was a servant with I believe his brother Thomas.
    1881 Cottage, Manaccan, Helston with wife and 3 children.
    William J Richards born 1875.Thomas H 1876 and Mabel 1878 and all born Manaccan.
    1891 William and Emma are at Roseveare Cottage, Rosevere, Mawgan in Meneage, with daughter Mabel.
    1901 has a William J and wife Emma with the right age with a son name Ernest born 1883 at Manaccan. RG13/2235/Folio 15/Page 4. This came as a surprise because if I have the correct family Ernest wasn't with them in 1891.
    1911 John ,Emma and Ernest are living at RG14/13933/Schedule 70.
    Any idea if I am on the right track? he seems to go between William and John as a name.
    If they are correct I haven't found the deaths of John and Emma.

7. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Well-Known Member

Struggling to find record of the birth/baptism of Ernest, Manaccan, 1883. Nothing on Cornwall OPC site seems to fit.
    GRO Index has Ernest Richards, Dec Q 1883. Helston. Mmn Harris, which is the nearest I can find.

8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Manaccan was in the Helston RD. :)

Brentor boy likes this.
  9. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

There is a school record on Cornwall OPC. Ernest Richards born 11th Dec 1882.Tregidden.Parent GuardianR.

10. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I have put Helston District when looking for him but no luck.
    Maybe I have muddled a family.

11. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Have found Mabel's school admission 2nd April 1883 but no father or date of birth but the same address as Ernest.
    There is also Mabel born 22 Jul 1877 admission15th September 1874 also Tregidden but no Christian name.

12. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is the John E Richards living with grandparents William and Elizabeth Williams in 1891 at Helford Cottage,Manaccan.
    RG12/1841/Folio 22/Schedule 20.
    Can't be him his because his year of birth date is 1879.:headbang:
    John E also pops up as a visitor in the house of James and Elizabeth in 1881.
    born 1881 this time. RG11/2317/Folio 113/Page 8.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  13. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Scrub John E because it is possible that he is John Eddy.

14. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

1922 electoral register has John ,Emma and Ernest address Tregonwell Mill.Manaccan. I then looked at the 1931 electoral register and Ernest is with Edith Mary at the sames address. His wife I presume.
    Not that helps with his birth.

15. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I think that Ernest was named Joseph Ernest Richards born March qtr 1883 in the Helston District with mother's surname Williams.
    After finding a marriage for an Edith Mary to a man with the surname Richards up popped Joseph E Richards marrying Edith Mary Thomas Dec qtr 1920 in the Helston District.
    CornwallOPC has a 1952 Manaccan burial of a Joseph Ernest Richards.

16. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Thanks to your message I have managed to find the burials of William and Emma Richards and the will of William John.
    There is a Earnest (sp) Richards in 1939 married to Edith Mary but his birth year is 1872 and not 1882/1883.