Married couple using Wife's name

Discussion in 'British Census' started by Ma-dotcom, May 19, 2020.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

What would cause a married couple to use the surname of the husband in at least 2 census records? was it due to lack of understanding & writing skills?
    I've spent a large part of my day [before I got back to my book] ; trying to ascertain when this chap was really born & to whom. Finally found I think at Hollingbourn Mar. Qtr 1881 - Mmn Stonestreet. Still not absolutely certain.
    Marriages Jun 1874
    Smith Ellen + STONESTREET Thomas Chertsey 2a-36 widow nee Smith
    Deaths Sep 1874
    Stonestreet Thomas 25 Chertsey 2a-18
    Name-Edward Tolhurst
    Spouse-Ellen Stonestreet-widow- father Smith.
    Father-James Tolhurst
    Marriage-05/02/1876 Addlestone, Surrey, England
    Residence-Addlestone, Surrey, England
    Code:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/4779/40815_1831101883_0592-00019pid=2054857&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=xp4184135&_phstart=successSource
    Code:
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=2352&h=4276055&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7814
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=7814&h=4192153&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=6598
    gives a Mother's name as Mary Ann,widow - not Ellen. Has middle initial as 'F' but wife & children match up.
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=1623&h=2628719&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2352
    This census seems to be filled in by the wife who is quite befuddled by it all.

Code:
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=1623&h=2628719&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2352
    Is this just a case of lack of word skills or something else?

This has taken too much time to put down & I must go now to my cot, sorry to post & run.

Auburn likes this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I had similar Wendy. Never did find out why the change of names, in my case back and forth between two names.o_O Not that this helps you.:rolleyes:

Auburn and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Sis for reading & trying. I did have one person in past who married a 1st cousin x 1 rem'd who did have a bit of trouble with the law causing the next census to find them using a different name, but hadn't found any such so far with this family. Perhaps if the wife was doing the writing it may have been just an uneducated thing. ;)
    Have since found them on a 'tree' entered as in 1911 census along with a child with different Mmn.
    I think I shall move along & find a different problem. o_O

Auburn, Jellylegs and Sis like this.
  4. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

I've got one of those!
    Took ages to track him down. Once I found the census (1861)where they used his wife's maiden name, I then found they had used her surname on his death certificate, the burial register at Brompton and his daughter's wedding!
    It was the death certificate that made me think about the reason for all this.
    He was a tailor with his own business and died of "Disease of Brain 2years convulsions"
    I'm guessing he may have had problems with the business for quite some time and ran up debts- a name change might help avoid paying some of them.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Auburn. My problem so much the same, At first I thought I'd confused him with his father & parents then another chap with no 2nd name mentioned. Reading again this morning I almost started on the same hurdy-gurdy, cofusing her maiden name & parents with her Husbands lot & a chap from Kent! :rolleyes:
    I shall just leave them now & record what RGO has as family plus whichever census seems to be real & plod on.

Thank you. ;)

Auburn and Sis like this.
  6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I have a slightly different version of this. Visited a great uncle while he was still with us. He gave us some photos and named the people in them. We got really confused, he kept changing the surname of one couple as he showed us different pictures of the same pair. His explanation was that they were first cousins who married and both had the same surname. When they wed they changed their name. He said it was a case of 'change the name to hide the shame'. Their new surname was similar to their original, they took some chasing through the censuses.

GrannyBarb, Ma-dotcom and Auburn like this.