Marston (blacksmiths)

Discussion in 'Warwickshire' started by farrell, Mar 30, 2015.

1. farrell

farrell New Member

Having recently joined,i put a request on the Yorkshire section. I have been amazed
    at the response. I thought i would look at my own tree and see if we can progress.
    I have Thomas Marston b 1813 married Ann Twigger 1842 in Coventry.Ann died in 1857 and Thomas died in 1859.
    His father John Marston b 1789 married Elizabeth Lawless in 1810.
    I ca go forward a fair bit, but not sure about beyond John and Elizabeth.
    Graham.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi farrell,

A couple of questions...

Where in Warwickshire did the happy couple wed?
    Back in 1810, there should be the names of the witnesses on the parish record - any clues there?
    If John was born in 1789, is this date from censuses? If so, would you let us know which ones and where, please. :)

Thanks,

3. farrell

farrell New Member

Hi Jan,
    I G I family search.
    John Marston b 1789 Nuneaton.
    Elizabeth Lawless b 1781 Nuneaton.
    They married 20 May 1810, Warwick.
    and had a son Thomas Marston, b 1815 Nuneaton.

marriage certificate: Thomas Marston married Ann Twigger b 1819.
    married at St John the Baptist Church,Coventry. 18th May 1842.
    Thomas and Ann were both Weavers.
    grooms father John Marston , Weaver.
    brides father Robert Twigger , Weaver.

Regards Graham.

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Ancestry Warwickshire Baps,Marriages and Burials has

Eliz. bap 23/10/1785 d/o John and Mary Lawliss in Nuneaton

John Marston is more difficult there are these baps in Nuneaton
    15/6/1788 s/o Saml & Eliz
    20/2/1793 s/o Thos & Eliz
    28/8/1793 s/o Eliz
    20/10/1793 s/o Rbt & Ann
    19/3/1794 s/o Sml
    1/9/1794 s/o Saml
    6/10/1794 s/o Wm & Ann

5. MollyMay

The marriage entry for John Marston and Elizabeth Lawless is also on Anc

They married by banns
    They were batchelor and spinster and both made their mark.
    The witnesses were Sarah Payne & James Wheway (who witnesses 5 of the 6 marriages on the page)

6. MollyMay

They have these baps to John & Elizabeth Marston of Abby Street Nuneaton

Thomas 14/2/1815 John is a silk weaver
    Samuel 24/1/1818 John is a ribbon weaver
    Rebecca26/4/1820 John is a ribbon weaver

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. MollyMay

There could be 2 more daughters and another son - the address is now Church Street, and John is a ribbon weaver
    19/12/1828 - Ann
    9/11/1830 - Elizabeth
    7/11/1832 - Arthur

8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

1841 census of Nuneaton (HO107/1127/16, folio 35, page 16) shows John MARSTON, Silk Weaver, aged 48, Silk Weaver living at Rose's Patch with wife Elizabeth, aged 55 and a Sarah MARSTON, aged 19.

1851 census of Nuneaton (HO107/2065, folio 146, page 14) shows John Marston, Ribbon Weaver, aged 62, born Nuneaton, & wife Elizabeth, aged 70, born Nuneaton living at Navigation Street. If these ages are correct, it should give a birthdate of c1789 for John and c1781 for Elizabeth.

1861 census of Nuneaton (RG9/2194, folio 101, page 9) shows John MARSTON, aged 74, Silk Weaver living at Abbey Street. He is described as married but wife Elizabeth is not with him.

There is a possible burial for Elizabeth MARSTON on 21 June 1852 at Attleborough, Warwickshire, from the Workhouse, aged 71 (Ancestry's Warwickshire Burials) which would fit in with the 1851 census record. There is a death registration for a John MARSTON in June qtr 1864 at Nuneaton reg district and Ancestry's Select Deaths and burials show the burial at Nuneaton on 27 May 1864 for a John MARSTON, aged 78, giving a birthdate of c1786.

The most likely baptism given the approximate birthdates above, is that of a John MARSTON, son of Samuel & Elizabeth MARSTON, on 15 June 1788 at Nuneaton. This could be relevant to you, but would need more research on your part, as there is a burial at Nuneaton on 14 October 1819 of a Samuel Marston of Abby Street, aged 70, this being the address given at the baptisms of Thomas, Samuel & Rebecca that MollyMay found for you in post 6 above, plus the burial on 24 November 1819 at Nuneaton of an Elizabeth MARSTON, widow of Abby Street, aged 71.

Apprenticeship records on Ancestry show a John MARSTON who is a Taylor in Nuneaton taking on apprentices in 1744/45 and a Benjamin MARSTON who is a Weaver taking on an apprentice in 1745, so they could well be connected to Samuel MARSTON the possible father of your John.

And how about a bit more circumstantial evidence. Marriage at Nuneaton on 14 January 1770 of a Samuel MARSTON, of this parish, Ribbon Weaver, & Elizabeth CHAPLIN, of this parish, Spinster. Samuel signed & Elizabeth made her mark. Witnesses were Wm MARSTON who signed and Sarah LINNEY who marked.

Janet

MollyMay likes this.
  9. MollyMay

Farrell,

Ancestry has Warwickshire records a plenty, so look out for their free trial offers which crop up every now and again or perhaps you can use your local library for access, as I am sure you will be able to sort out which Marstons are yours.

10. farrell

farrell New Member

Thanks MollyMay,I will.
    Graham.

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Hi Graham,

Noticed on the Blacksmith Site, Warwickshire section, a John William Marston born 1875 Nun Eaton, a Blacksmith in both civilian and army life. I also note that the person who put it there is a Graham so chances are that Graham plus Nun Eaton means it's you but just in case it's a coincidence I thought I'd mention it.

http://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~blacksmiths/index.htm

12. farrell

farrell New Member

Thanks,you are correct,John William (my grandfather).came back from S Africa.
    He joined the A O C (from 14 Hussars) and went to Gibraltar, he died in service in Gibraltar 1906.
    Regards Graham.

13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

When I read your first post in this topic I went to Warwickshire Blacksmiths to see if anyone else was researching your line. If not I was going to suggest you put yours on it to see what comes out of the woodwork, my Essex Card and Hinton Blacksmiths have yielded a number of contacts, two in the last month.