Martha Grove

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Sis, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The way you're going, it would not surprise. ;);):D:p

Sis likes this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Ooh, ooh, Just found an Isaac Grove Gentleman listed above Samuel Grove Minister in the St James, Westminster UK, Poll Books and Electoral Registers, for 1749. It's my Samuel as I know from the clergy website that he was in that area at this time!

Nearly forgot, there's two columns on the right hand side of the pages, one headed T. and the other headed V. and each person has a dash in one other other of the columns. Each column is totalled at the bottom of each page. Does anyone know what these columns mean please?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Probably an indication of who was being voted for. See Arthur's post #5 in this thread. :)

arthurk and Archie's Mum like this.
  4. Sis

Thanks Jan. I'll go back and take a look at the front of the book to see if there's anything there.

5. Sis

The candidates were:
    The Right Hon. Lord Viscount Trentham & Sir George Vendeput Bart.
    The Grove gentlemen voted for Vandeput as did the majority of people.

arthurk and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Sis

Have just found his daughter Martha's 1760 will and it is a ripper one!! It names all sorts of people and how they are related. So, from this I have found out how my Martha Grove's father John Grove is connected to the Rev Samuel Grove. EDIT: Oops should have said Martha's Grandad John Grove:oops::rolleyes:

Rev. Samuel's daughter Martha says in her will (in part):

"I give all my lands, farms, messuages etc to my worthy kinsman John GROVE or GROU or GROW formerly of New Cock Lane afsd but now at no 17 Weaver St, Fleet St Bethnal Green (second son of my late father’s first cousin Samuel GROVE or GROU or GROW)."

Among a lot of other names and relationships she also mention a few de Charmes people, therefore confirming a relationship to them.

So I'm off to see if I can find the first cousin of the Rev's.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    GrannyBarb, Half Hour, Moff and 5 others like this.
  7. maclemett

maclemett New Member

Hello all,
    Just chiming in, the info submitted with regards to the De Charmes family was researched by myself. The De Charmes family like the Le Greux were french huguenots as previously mentioned. I have just been re-checking my lines and adding further info.

Martha de Charmes was baptized in 1709 to Simon De Charmes (watch and pocket watch maker) and Elene Dieu. She was my 8th great aunt sister of my 7th great grandfather Simon Gideon de Charmes.

Martha de Charmes married Rev. Samuel Grove in 1731 at St James, Westminster. They had one daughter that survived Martha Grove who was buried in 1769 (born 1734 in Westminster). Another daughter was Helena born 1733. As Sis has previously mentioned her will mentions a John Grove and also mentions my 6th great grandparents David and Mary de Charmes also the Le Sage and Clapton families both of which, also married into the De Charmes family.

Rev Samuel was married previously in 1721 to a Magdalene Aufrere at St James Westminster. They had two children Isaac who died in 1754 and is buried at East Barnet (Martha mentions him in her will) and Sarah who was born the year before.

I haven't looked as much into the Grove family but can say that Martha Grove who died in 1769 was definitely the daughter of Rev Samuel and Martha De Charmes. Rev Samuel did not have a son called John that I know of only an Isaac who died a bachelor in 1754. If he had children I'm sure his sister would have left them something. John seems to be a cousin of Martha through her father as Sis has previously found out.

Mystery Solved !!!

I would definitely suggest researching into the De Charmes family who were very distinguished and had links to many historical figures of the day. Martha died 1769 was a close friend of William Hogarth for example. The Le sages were goldsmiths to the king. Also the Samson family who also married into the De Charmes family had links with the brother of the first Prime Minister Robert Walpole.

AnnB, MollyMay, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  8. Sis

@maclemett Thank you very much for this information. I need something to get my teeth into, so I will have a go at researching the De Charmes family. They sound very interesting.