Mary Amelia Campbell

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Shellymac, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I am trying to find the birth of Mary Amelia Campbell who says she was born in Queanbeyan NSW between 1867 and 1870. The different dates are from her children’s birth certificates and her death certificate.
    She married Arthur James O’Neill 1 Jan 1890 at St Matthias C of E Church Bombala NSW. This certificate has very little info on it, no ages or parents are listed. On all of her children’s birth certificates she states that she was born in Queanbeyan NSW. Her son was the informant on her death certificate and he says that she was born in Bombala NSW, he listed her parents as Thomas Campbell then crossed out the Campbell and put Brown and Mary no surname listed. Thomas Campbell/Brown is listed as a station owner.
    Mary Amelia and Arthur James O’Neill had the following children.
    Irene Ivy Esdaile 1891 Bombala, Elsie Monaro 1893 Cooma, Alma Alfeck Artie 1895 Bombala, Mona Maree 1898 Goulburn died 1909 Braidwood, Arthur James Lyle 1901 Braidwood and Daphne Lennox Eunice 1909 born in Lennox St Newtown Sydney.
    Now one problem is that there is a Thomas and Mary Campbell having children in Braidwood at the same time and their Daughter Mary A is NOT my one she is Mary Ann born 1863 I have her birth and marriage certificates. But some body has put this Mary Ann’s parents on ANC as being the parents of our Mary Amelia and heaps and heaps of people have just copied each other’s tree and so are wrong.
    I need help to find the birth of Mary Amelia. I have tonight sent for a birth of a Mary born in Paddington Sydney in 1867. It will take a week to arrive, but it is a long way from where she says she was born.

2. Genie1

Genie1 Cornish to the Core

There is a Mary Campbell born 1867.
    Registration District Paddington NSW and Father Thomas and mother Mary.
    Registration number 4335.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Mary Brown 18220/1867 to Thomas and Maria Brown. YASS

4. Archie's Mum

There is also a Mary A Campbell to Robert and Margaret Campbell 7620/1869 at Braidwood.

5. Archie's Mum

There is also a tree out there where Mary Amelia Brown is said to be the daughter of Martin Campbell and Margaret Brown born c1869. Martin in 1890 is a Stockman.
    There is a Mary F Brown born to Margaret Brown in Queanbeyan in 1869.
    There is no marriage of Martin Campbell to Margaret Brown.

Shellymac likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

I should be sleeping....
    Kowen School (1875-1913) previous name ‘Felled Timber’( Kowen Forest)
    In 1881 Frederick Campbell of Duntroon lodged an application for a school. 18 children were initially sent. One of those was an 11 year girl. The ward of one MARTIN CAMPBELL. (Makes the girl the same age as Mary born to Margaret Brown and Martin. Campbell) The school was situated 300 metres from Glenburn homestead. This is near the Queanbeyan/Bungendore Road.
    I will sent the link to you in the morning @Shellymac

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

In post #1 Mary is married 1 Jan 1890. Martin Campbells occupation on 1 Jan 1890 according to the Turnbull tree is a stockman. Where would that info have come from if not from Mary’s marriage registration?
    As Martin was apparently a stockman then he wouldn’t be around to raise an 11 year old girl. What if she was living with Thomas and Mary Campbell as a foster child.
    Maybe Thomas is Martins brother!!!

Shellymac likes this.
  8. Shellymac

I have sent off for this one.

9. Shellymac

This is interesting Sue, I will look into it.

10. Shellymac

I also wondered if there is a connection to Duntroon as I knew that a Campbell family farmed there before Canberra was built there. I grew up not too far from there. I will look into Martin Campbell. The 11 year old girl in this post, we don’t have a birth or name for her.

11. Shellymac

Maybe I should get this birth certificate but would it help? I wish that I had access to the Parish records for Bombala. They are on film at the National Library. Just to make sure that all the info was sent to BDM Sydney. I have found that sometimes the info was there but not all was sent across.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

No, no name for the girl.
    Have a look at Martin Campbell on Trove, there is a fair bit. He was in court as a witness for his stepdaughter Margaret Brown, her mother was blind and he was on a pension from the Campbell estate at Duntroon. He was according to another article a shepherd for the Campbells for many years.
    I’ll get back.....

Shellymac likes this.
  13. Shellymac

I need to get up to Canberra to the National Library to check it out, as it does sound like it came from the marriage certificate. Was the Turnbull tree on ANC?.

14. Archie's Mum

No it’s a private tree but I will send you the link via conversations after Some food. So if this is your Mary then it stands to reason that she was born a Brown ie one of Margaret’s children but took her stepfathers name. Where Thomas and Mary comes into it, we will have to figure that out somehow.

15. Archie's Mum

Code:
    https://museum.hall.act.au/school/2878/kowen-school.html
    Information of Kowen School in 1881 started by the Campbells showing Martin Campbell and his 11 year old ward were one of the first sign up.
    Turnbull Tree on conversations.

16. Archie's Mum

I think these Turnbulls in which Mary Amelia appears on the tree are the same Turnbulls or related to ex PM Turnbull.

17. Archie's Mum

I have been looking for a marriage for Martin Campbell. There are two. One is in the northern Rivers and thats where he died. The other is to Bridget Brown at Parramatta in 1855. BUT a Bridget Campbell died in Morpeth in 1865. She was 40 years old and in the column for her mothers first name it says Martin. I think that it is supposed to be her husbands name. So what if Margaret Brown is Bridgets sister?
    I'm leaving no stone unturned.

18. Shellymac

Martin died in a Sydney hospital, I found it on Trove, I think it was 1895 or thereabouts. He had gone to Sydney for treatment from Queanbeyan I will see if I can find it again.

19. Shellymac

I have had a look at this tree and from the comments I do believe that the Parish Registar will have the parents details as Arthur O’Neill’s father occupation is also list as at the 1 Jan 1890. So now I do believe that this tree has the right info. I will see if they have a tree on ANC. Thank you so much Sue you are a gem. I also noticed that like me you are up half the night.
    I will take a look at the children born to Margaret Brown in QBN.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  20. Archie's Mum

Yes and now I'm stonkered.
    BUT. I had a search of Martin Campbell. There is an obit on him on Trove which says he was a trusted employer of The Duntroon Estate so much so that they gave him a life pension. He died in Sydney after having to go there for some hospital treatment. He is said to be around 80 years of age. His death is recorded at Liverpool in 1897 father Martin mother Ann. A search of births finds a Martin Campbell registered to Martin Campbell and Ann in 1827. Now I believe Martin Campbell snr came as a convict on the Isabella in 1822 or 1823 but darned if he is turning up on convict records. All I can find is a ticket of leave for him on State Records.
    Martin Campbell born 17/10/1827 baptised 13/1/1828 St Johns Parramatta to Martin Campbell and Ann found on Family Search.
    For anyone interested Duntroon was the family estate of politician Robert Campbell, now the house itself is the mess hall for Duntroon Military Academy Canberra. It was built long before Canberra ever existed.

Shellymac likes this.