Mary Ann Foley and James Benjamin Smith

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Peregrine, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Mary Ann Foley married James Benjamin Smith at North Farm, Port Sorrell, Tasmania on 3 Mar 1859; Reg No. 603; the image of the marriage record on the Tasmanian Names Index shows that she was age 18 and he was 24.

James died at Bridgewater, Victoria on 17 Apr 1895 and his will left everything to his wife. Mary Ann died at her daughter’s in Caulfield, Victoria on 29 Jun 1914. Her death notice reads:

SMITH.—Passed to a higher life on 29th June, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Rust (Caulfield), Mary Ann, relict of the late James B. Smith, of Bridgewater-on-Loddon, loving mother of Mr. F. Hillman, Bendigo; Mrs. F. Rust, Caulfield; Sallie, Ben, and Albert; also the late Edward, W. A.; William, Shepparton; Mrs. J. Miles, Derrinallum; Mrs. Stalker, Tasmania; aged 74. Interred at Bridgewater on 2nd July on arrival of 12.15 train.

I have been unable to find a birth or arrival for either Mary Ann or James. I am also intrigued about the son, Mr. F. Hillman named in the death notice. Mary Ann was single and aged 18 at the time of her marriage to James.

Some assistance would be much appreciated.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The obituary in the Bendigonian dated 7/7/1914 has 'her daughters, Mesdames F Hillman'.......etc
    Also that she was a native of Sydney. :)

3. Archie's Mum

Just to clarify...the death notice in the same paper, The Bendigonian 7/7/1914 says Mr F Hillman but the obituary on page 20 says 'Mesdames, F Hillman......

4. Archie's Mum

There is a marriage of a Mary Ann King Smith to a Chas Fran Hillman VicBDM 2574 in 1901

5. Archie's Mum

One of Mary Ann and James children was Ellen Louise born in 1869. An Ellen Louisa Smith married a Robert Frederick Hillman in 1905. I think this may be your (Mr) F Hillman, although his wife Ellen Louisa, Mesdame Hillman.

6. Archie's Mum

Robert Frederick Hillman died in 1915. Ellen Louisa Hillman then married William Criché Plimmer in 1920. Ellen Louisa Plimmer died in 1955 father James Benjamin Smith, mother Mary Foley. Victoria BDM.

Peregrine likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Mary Foley is said to be a native of Sydney post #2. A Mary A Foley was born to Henry and Honorah Foley in 1841, NSWBDM.
    Misc. Immigrants NSW State Records has Henry Foley age 24 arriving on the ship Crusader 15/1/1840 he was a farm labourer and his wife's name was Honorah

Peregrine likes this.
  8. Peregrine

Archie's Mum you are such a gem. I have been out for dinner with friends and while I have been wining and dining you have pretty much solved it. Thank you so much.

mugwortismy cat and Archie's Mum like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Thank you Esther. :)
    Not quite a diamond. More of a cheap manufactured zircon...

mugwortismy cat and Peregrine like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Just having a quick look for James Benjamin and two stick out. The first is James Smith born 1835 Campbelltown to James, a farmer and Catherine. They seem to also have a son Benjamin born in 1840.
    Then a James Smith born 1837, Forcett to Patrick, a school master and Esther.
    I think Forcett is near Sorrell.
    Patrick and Esther have another son John Thomas. (Colonial Tasmania Links Portal, that I find a bit easier to use sometimes)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  11. Peregrine

I will check these out, thanks Sue. Edited to add: Checking Google Maps, the Campbell Town birth looks more likely, as Campbell Town is on the Midland Highway not far from Ross.

Meanwhile, I have been looking at the children listed on Mary Ann's death notices/obituaries and have finally aligned the daughters with their married names. In the process I have worked out that the ones born in Tasmania were not born at Sorell near Hobart but at River Forth, Port Sorell which is in the north near Devonport.

The hardest daughter to find proved to be Olive May Smith who married a John H. Stalker in 1909 and died in childbirth on 1 Jun 1910, the infant, named Olive May, dying 12 hours after her birth on 2 Jun 1910. So sad, but an all too common occurence back then. It looks like John Stalker is the son of a John Stalker and Margaret Henderson born 17 May 1875 at Morven, Tasmania and his middle name was Henderson.

Archie's Mum likes this.