Mary Ann Fulker

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Amle, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Over the last couple of years I have been doing some of my research using my DNA results although I am not sure I like this way of doing things. Traditionally I have my family researched back to the start of registration or the censuses. I have never been keen to go beyond this. So now it's good to confirm branches I have. I haven't found the same level of interest and helpfulness in the DNA way of doing research, although there are exceptions.
    One brick wall I have now I didn't have before is there are more than half a dozen close DNA matches, who also have comprehensive trees and there are no connections with my family although it seems to possibly link one family who lived in the same village as my family and this is where I suspect our connection may be.
    My trouble is I cant work them out or confidently, or find birth registrations for them. This family are the children of Charles Fulker and Hannah Hawthorn. Charles and Hannah were married on March 1st 1851 in Winfield, Berkshire. I think there were seven or eight children.Two younger children who I cant trace are Mary Fulker born 1870 and Mary Ann Fulker born 1872. What I thought was, that may be one of these was an illeg child of an older sibling and where I might get a connection. Can any one help me find these Mary Ann Fulkers. Thank you. Elizabeth

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

There is a birth registration of a Mary Ann Jane FULKER (mmn Hawthorn) in the June quarter of 1872 - registration district Wycombe, which covers Great Marlow, her birth place on the 1881 census.

Amle likes this.
  3. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

I think I will send for that but I wont know if everything stated will be true! The odd thing is that on the 1871 census there is also a Mary Ann Fulker aged 7 months. RG10; Piece: 1405; Folio: 74; Page: 22 but I cant find a birth for her.

4. Jellylegs

Yes, saw that and I have been searching too, but can't find anything. Maybe they forgot to register the birth, then lied about the date when they remembered. Or there may have been an error when the copies of registers were made.

Have you looked for a baptism for Mary Ann/Jane?

5. Jellylegs

Just found a death reg for a Mary Ann FULKER (aged 1) in the Dec quarter of 1871 in Wycombe reg district - 3a - 317

Amle likes this.
  6. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thanks Jellylegs I cant find a baptism but there is a death for the first Mary Ann in 1871 I think, not sure if that will help me.

7. Jellylegs

The death reg will confirm parent/s, so maybe better to go for that than the later birth reg, which gives Hawthorn as the mother's maiden name and ties up with the 1881 census.

Amle likes this.
  8. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Will get that.:)

Jellylegs likes this.
  9. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

@Amle ... like you I find I have a bunch of relatives I can't find the link with...fairly closely related as well. Still working on mine! I really think they link through those sneaky IRISH leprechauns..