Mary Ann Wiseman 1819-?

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by mugwortismy cat, Oct 31, 2020.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Mary Ann, daughter of Matthew Wiseman and Elizabeth Baxter, baptised Shotesham All Saints 6 Jun 1819

Banns were called for her and Mark Herwin (or Harwin) 8 Nov 1840 at Saxlingham Thorpe & Nethergate. The marriage for some reason did not happen.

24 Jan 1841 Mary Ann gave birth to a son, who was named John Harwin Wiseman

During Feb 1841 banns were again called, and this time the couple married (28 Feb)

Mary Ann and the young John are to be found in Saxlingham Nethergate in 1841, Mark is head of a different household containing his younger brother George

By the 1851 census (still in Saxlingham Nethergate) there are more children: Mark (1843), Sarah Elizabeth (1845), Ann (1848); there were also George Edward (1851) and James (1854)

Mary Ann's husband died in 1854, two of her sons died in 1859 (Mark and James), at their burial they are noted as sons of Mark Herwin, no mention made of their mother (although some other burials do mention both parents).

I cannot trace any of the remaining family in the 1861 census. However I did tentatively identify an 1861 in Norwich for Sarah (RG 9; 1217; 104; 6), Ancestry have her surname as Steven. She does marry in Norwich in 1867.

I can trace both daughters after 1861 through to their deaths, but I am struggling to find anything on Mary Ann, or her two remaining sons

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Could she be the Mary Ann HARWIN that married George CULLING in the June Quarter of 1861? They are on the 1871 census together with a son, Robert, born 1862. Looking at the GRO indexes, Robert's mother's maiden name was WISEMAN.

Census Ref: RG10/1815/70/2 - Great Cherry Street, Lakenham, Norwich.

Mary Ann's birth year is a bit out (1823). Her birthplace is given as Saxlingham.

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

I saw the marriage but didn't find them in 1871 (perhaps I had my settings too tight on the birth year). Will look into it thanks. I was hoping her other children would be with her

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

George also died in 1859
    upload_2020-10-31_14-53-59.png

5. mugwortismy cat

Damn it, how did I manage to miss that? there must have been something contagious :( some of the entries in the burial register a little further on were due to diphtheria (if I remember rightly)

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  6. mugwortismy cat

I did see it in the register but failed to recognise it :rolleyes:

It is entered as George Brighton Harwin with the Brighton crossed through, with none of the additional identifying info found on his brother's entries, no age was entered so I assumed it was an adult and didn't double check :oops:

7. mugwortismy cat

Mary Ann died in 1871 and George Culling remarried to Susannah Barnby

There is only Mary Ann's first son John Harwin WISEMAN to find, he is enumerated in 1841 and 1851 as HARWIN

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  8. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

We have all done something similar;).
    So sad 3 young boys all dying within a short time - it has to have been an infection.

No sign of John as H?rwin or Wiseman :headbang:

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.