Mary Draper - a sad life.

Discussion in 'Wiltshire' started by The Artful Dodger, May 8, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

The Banns - according to Wiltshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1916 - were legally published om May 3, 10 and 17 and were followed by a marriage in West Lavington on May 24 1795. John Draper was a Carter by trade/occupation and Elizabeth Sainsbury was a Spinster.

The witnesses were Richard Rumble and Thomas Baker.

As I've previously mentioned here and elsewhere, Elizabeth became known as Betty [but when is not known].

The baptism registers - West Lavington 1747-1803 [image seen on Ancestry]- has the following baptisms for children of parents John and Betty:
    Samuel - 22 Nov. 1790
    Elizabeth - 30 Oct. 1791
    Sarah - 20 May 1795
    Mary - 2 Jul. 1797
    James - 4 Aug. 1799
    John - 12 Jul. 1801

I had previously indicated that my John was the son of George Draper and Grace Kill married in Market Lavington on 21 Aug. 1774 and was baptised in Market Lavington 18 Jun. 1775. While I haven't found a burial forr this lad, George and Grace baptised another son - John - 21 Feb. 1779.
    I don't believe this could possibly be my connection.

2. The Artful Dodger

Following on from post #61:
    I've been looking for alternatives to parents of John Draper baptised 28 Oct. 1769 in West Lavington - how about this one?:

David Draper married Sarah Wilson 20 Oct. 1763 [after Banns] in West Lavington and they baptised 3 sons there:
    Samuel - 13 Feb. 1767 - died and then buried 28 May 1769
    John - see above
    James - 24 Jul. 1772

A David Draper died [possibly Feb.] and was buried in West Lavington 10 Feb. 1802.

Prior to the date of marriage between John Draper and Elizabeth[Betty] Sainsbury - the following baptisms took place in West Lavington:
    parents - John and Betty Draper
    Samuel - 22 Nov. 1790
    Elizabeth - 30 Oct. 1791
    Sarah - 20 May 1795

Before I go further down this lane, comments please.

3. The Artful Dodger

I presume you mean the marriage in Chitterne St. Mary on 7 April 1823 to Sarah Masten. Sarah was a resident of the parish of Warminster, Wilts. and John was a resident of the parish of Bishop's Lavington [aka West Lavington].

4. The Artful Dodger

There is a possibility that the John Draper - see post #59 - that went to Canada may not be the John Draper who was the brother of my Mary!

I've got to go out now but will update upon my return.

5. The Artful Dodger

Since Barb has not responded, I've looked at both her John and my John and am 90% satisfied that they are 2 separate blokes.

I guess I'll send a message to Barb and see what she thinks.

6. The Artful Dodger

The above post was from Barb, and my response but with the lack of details I have looked as closely as I can at what may be available. The following is from trees [unsupported by documentation] and perusing sites from Ancestry.

Where possible I'll post the supporting details:
    1] A John Draper was born 22 Sep. 1800 and baptised in Market Lavington, Witshire on 19 May 1802. The denomination was Independent.
    Parents - John and Sarah Draper
    Source - Piece 3330: Market Lavington [Independent], 1797-1836 and England and Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers 1567-1970

2] Siblings of this John:
    Thomas - born 5 Dec. 1796 and baptised 14 Oct. 1798
    Sarah - born 9 Feb. 1798 and baptised 14 Oct. 1798
    Elizabeth - born 10 Aug. 1799 and baptised 19 May 1802
    James - born 16 Nov. 1801 and baptised 19 May 1802
    Same source as in #1.

3] A possible marriage of John Draper and Sarah:
    In Potterne, Wiltshire on 21 Apr. 1794, a John Draper married Sarah Bridall. Banns were announced Apr. 6, 13 and 20 1794. John was of Easterton in the parish of Market Lavington and Sarah was of the parish of Potterne.
    Potterne is less than 4 miles from Market Lavington.
    Source - Wiltshire, England, Marriages, 1538-837 and Wiltshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1916.

4] In Chitterne St. Mary, Wiltshire on 7 Apr. 1823 a John Draper married Sarah Maslen/Masters. John was of Bishop's Lavington and Sarah was of Warminster. One of the witnesses was a Jonathan Sainsbury.
    Source - Wiltshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1916.

5] A tree on Ancestry has Sarah Masters born in West Lavington c. 1795 [no parents] and the following children:
    Charles - 1823 - no baptism found - Ancestry Family Trees
    Grecian - baptism 13 Feb. 1825 - West Lavington - occ. of father Shoemaker: Source: Wiltshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1916
    Thomas - 1829 - Ancestry Family Trees
    Then the family came to Canada and had the following children:
    John - 1831 - Ancestry Family Trees
    Sarah - 1834 - Ancestry Family Trees
    Then Sarah died 1836.
    After the death of Sarah, John married Margaret McEwen/McKune - the source for this is the Canada, Find a Grave Index, 1600's - current.
    This tree then has several more children added

6] I have not been able to find details of the marriage to Margaret c. 1837 but have her death details 4 Jul. 1878 and I also have not found the death of John.
    As for other sources:
    1857 - resident of Aylwin: occupation - Shoemaker. Source - Canada, City and Area Directories, 1819-1906
    1861 - Census - with wife Margaret and 4 children at home. Occupation - Farmer. Resident of Aylwin. Denomination - Church of England
    1870 - Land Grant of 226 Acres @ Northfield, Ottawa. Letters Patent 26 Aug. 1870
    1871 - Census - with wife Margaret and no children at home. Occupation - Shoemaker. Resident of Aylwin. Denomination - Wesleyan Methodist
    1881 - Census - widowed. No changes from 1871 census.

So as I mentioned I think that there are 2 or more John Draper's - mine is the one baptised 12 Jul. 1801 in West Lavington.

More on him later

7. The Artful Dodger

At least I think mine was baptised 12 Jul. 1801, but maybe I'm all wet.

The john that I am researching is the younger sibling of Mary - to parents John Draper and Elizabeth [Betty] Sainsbury.

It is possible - found a marriage - between John Draper and Elizabeth Pincheon on 17 Jan. 1825 in Market Lavington. I also have found a baptism of Elizabeth Pincheon age 3 weeks baptised in Market Lavington to parents Charles and Elizabeth.
    2 children baptised:
    Susanna - 14 Aug. 1825 - Market Lavington - residence Easterton
    Stephen - 25 May 1828 - Market Lavington - residence Easterton
    Solomon - 24 Oct. 1830 - Market Lavington - residence Easterton.

There was a death of Elizabeth Draper age 26 resident of Easterton - being buried 7 Aug. 1830. There is also a death of Solomon with a burial 31 Oct. 1830.

What happened to John and the 2 surviving children during the 1830's is unknown.

A marriage in Easton Royal, Wilts.of a John Draper son of John after Banns took place on 14 May 1840 to Eliza Pearce. John was a widower and Eliza a spinster. John's occupation is stated as a Farmer.

I have not found John and Eliza in 1841 census but think I have Susanna in 1841 in Melksham - H0107/1182/7/6/4.
    1851 in Easterton - John, Eliza and Stephen - H0107/1839/319/28. John and Stephen are Labourers
    1861 in Easterton - John and Eliz - RG9/1291/85/15. John is now a Baker.

There's a bit more to follow.

8. The Artful Dodger

Following on from the above:
    Susanna:
    Susanna, I think, can be found in 1841 as a Female Servant [FS] in Melksham, Wilts, but as far as census records go for 1851 and 1861, I have had no success.
    I have found 2 possible outcomes but nothing concrete - and would appreciate suggestions:
    1] Banns for marriage were announced in Chitterne St. Mary, Wilts. for Silas Pyke and what looks like a Susann Draper on 9,16 and 23 Mar. 1862. I cannot find where this marriage actually took place.
    2] If the above marriage did not occur then conceivably Susann/Susanna could have been a spinster when she died. I have not found a reference to a Susann/Susanna Draper in 1871 census, but have the following:
    4th q. 1874 in Devizes, Wilts. vol. 5a page 54 - Susan Draper age 46. This matches a burial in Market Lavington on 24 Dec. Could this be her?

Stephen:
    While I have not found Stephen in 1841, he is with his father and step-mother Eliza in 1851.I have what I believe is his death and burial in Market Lavington on 23 Jul. 1860. He was 32 years old and a resident of Easterton.

John and Eliza:
    Working on the basis that John [after the deaths of Elizabeth and Solomon] drifted somewhat during the 1830's and when he met up with Eliza Pearce in Easton Royal he was a Farm Lab. but fabricated a life as a Farmer. He named his father as John but also indicated that his father was a Farmer also. His father had died in 1840 and his mother in 1841 so that subterfuge could not be dis-proven. Eliza at the time of the marriage [1840] was a spinster and of full age. She named her father as James - an Inn Keeper. The only baptism I've found was in Wilcot parish registers dated 27 Jan 1793.
    This is reasonably close to her age and place of birth in both 1851 and 1861 census images.
    I have not found Eliza in 1871 but have located a death and burial in Easton Royal on 17 May 1873 of an 80 year old Eliza Draper.

9. Barb

Barb New Member

10. Barb

Barb New Member

Hello, Sorry I've taken so long to reply. I haven't been doing genealogy lately. However with this pandemic going I'm hitting it again. Thanks for your research Artful Dodger. Scenario #5 was given to me by a very distant cousin. I have no proof this is the family of my John Draper born 1801 in England. The dates align for the births his children Grecian and Thomas who are mentioned in histories of earlier Quebec but no mention is made of where in England they were from. Just "England". He married a Margaret McKune in 1836 while living in Canada but no mention is made of his first wife who would be the mother of Thomas and Grecian. I'm thinking my John (b.1801) coming to Canada about 1830 could have been a soldier at one of the nearby towns. He might also be part of the diaspora of farmers that came to Canada at that time due to farming troubles. Possibly the Swing Riots of 1830. This is my big mystery! Bit by bit I hit on small clues but no confirmation that John was from Wiltshire. Thanks for your efforts. I shall keep you posted if I do find confirmations. Unfortunately immigration records didn't apply to British people coming to Canada at that time.

11. The Artful Dodger

While subsequent posts have sort of concluded that there were 2 John Draper's, I'll now proceed with who I belive to be the brother of my Mary.

John was baptised in West Lavington 12 July 1801 and his baptism record/image can be viewed as part of the Wiltshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 on Ancestry.

On 17 January 1825, in Market Lavington, he married Elizabeth Pincheon and the proceeded to have 3 children Susanna, Stephen and Solomon.
    Susanna was baptised in Market Lavington 14 August 1825 - more on her later;
    Stephen was baptsed in M.L. 25 May 1828. It would appear he never married, died and was buried in M.L. 23 July 1860.
    Solomon was baptised in M.L. 24 October 1830 and was buried in M.L. 31 October 1830.

Elizabeth, his wife, was buried in M.L. 7 August 1830. She was aged 26.

I think I have his marriage to Eliza Pearce in Easton Royal 14 May 1840. Eliza was several years older than John having been baptised in Wilcot, Wiltshire 27 January 1793.

I have not found the family in 1841 census.

I have them both with no children of their own in both 1851 and 1861. John died 3 January 1871 and was buried 7 January 1871 in M.l. Probate was granted to his brother James 13 January 1872.

I have Eliza in 1871 as a Widow in Easton living with her widowed sister. Her age is give as 78. She died and was buried in Easton 17 May 1873.