1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Hayball married William Elliott

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Nov 6, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

on 17 May 1807 in Beaminster. I hope she married the William who was baptised as William Pain Elliott in 1785, the illegitimate son of Susannah (whether or not I have chosen the right Susannah to be his mother, and whether she is the Susannah who married a Robert Elliott the following year, and whether I have decided upon the right Robert ... I guess I will never know for sure, but I had reasons for my choices :nailbiting:). This couple are, I believe, my 5x great grand-parents

Mary's husband died in 1821, but I found her in 1841 in Beaminster with her two youngest, Charlotte (my 4x ggm) and Louisa. For some reason, although I had built a complicated and sprawling tree of Elliotts I had somewhat neglected Mary and William's children -- except for Charlotte, of course :)

So I have been looking at her eldest son William, born 29 Jun 1810 and baptised 26 Feb 1812. He married Sarah Wellspring (born 1815 in Fordington, near Dorchester) on 20 Jan 1836 in Sherborne (not particularly close to either of their birthplaces ... although they lived there long enough for the Banns ... I think maybe Sarah wasn't quite 21)

Through tracing their son William born 1838 in Beaminster, I thought I had found Mary (Hayball) Elliott again, I got quite excited. However, now, and very soon after my find, I am having doubts. In 1841 Mary was born in Dorset, in this 1851 census I found William living with his grandmother Mary Elliott but she is born in Tatworth, Somerset.

I had long thought Mary was the daughter of Mathias Hayball, and born in Netherbury in 1791.

Have I gone wrong, and if so where? Is there a mistake in Mary's birthplace in either census? Have I found the wrong William born 1838? Is there another William c 1838 who has a grandmother called Mary?

I've tried to work my way through the dilemma, but don't seem to be thinking clearly. Any thoughts, ideas, or hints, most welcome.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Code:
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DORSET/2004-10/1096887628
    Well this person seems to agree

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There's a tree on Ancestry with Mary being the daughter of an Isaac Hayball and Mary Forsey, born in 1785 in Chard......(tree is titled Ballantyne/Pasut)

Sorry if that adds to the confusion :oops:

Ann

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

yes, Matthias definitely had a daughter called Mary, but is she my Mary?!

No that's ok ;), it's a possibility, depending on how close Tatworth is to Chard, and I suppose if I can find out what happened to the Mary daughter of Matthias
    1785 is a close fit to the dob in the 1851 census if I remember rightly; and I believe that there is a death of Mary Elliott in Beaminster in 1857, I'll double check the age on that ...

AnnB likes this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

Well back quite quickly on point 1, Tatworth is approx 2 miles from Chard :D

... and looking at a particular page of the 1871 census appears to be full of Hayballs

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  6. mugwortismy cat

Ok here's where I am getting annoyed. I am ready to accept that the 1841 birthplace was wrong, and am deciding to go with Tatworth near Chard.

According to FamilySearch there is a burial at Beaminster St Mary for a Mary Elliott born c 1787, which all fits nicely ... except that I am looking at the Parish Register images on Ancestry, and the transcripts on opcdorset and the burial is NOT THERE!!!:headbang::sceptical:

Although FreeBMD shows a death in Apr-Jun 1857 in the Beaminster RD ...

7. mugwortismy cat

OK, I take that back, I've found it on Ancestry :oops: maybe my brain is so fried I was looking at 1847 or something :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

My observations: your Mary in 1841 is entered as born 1786 and the 'squiggle' for born in or out of county looks different to the 'Y's' though admittedly it doesn't particularly look like a NO.

Mary of Netherbury was BORN 26 December 1791; Mary of Chard has no birth date entered but christened 5 June 1785

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  9. mugwortismy cat

Thanks Mrs Moo! :)
    this is the problem I find in revisiting old research ... I am attached to what I think I know, I was invested in Mary being the daughter of Matthias, but after a few days floundering and a few hours of asking for help I am ready to let the old stuff go :D ... so she's the daughter of Isaac, that almost as good as Matthias :p and soon when I've been researching him a bit, he'll be better than Matthias

AnnB, Mealymoo and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. mochas

mochas New Member

hi everybody, i know where HENRY ELLIOTT ended up and all about the family as Henry is my husbands great grandfather.HENRY ELLIOTT SON OF BENJAMIN ELLIOTT AND MARY SAINT..

11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in mochas C|:-) Always great to have a new line on a thread. ;)

12. mugwortismy cat

Hi glad to hear from you, please tell :D
    I'm so inactive in my researches at the moment, maybe you can inspire me again

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, AnnB and 1 other person like this.