Mary Nye

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Archie's Mum, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have found a photo of an ex convict Mary Nye. The story with the photo is that she was happily married to a farm worker and as he was walking home he found a hen's egg. He took it home but a neighbour reported him to the magistrate. Nye was sentenced to 7 years transportation for having and egg in his possession which he was unable to satisfactorily account.
    Mary in her wisdom seemed not to get by without Nye so she committed a trifling offence so she could join him. She stole a coat!
    After much searching I have found her being transported under the name of Mary Wilson on the Elizabeth and Henry 20th June 1848. She was aged 33 had 4 children and was described as a widow. Convict records say she had a daughter, Jane who died at the 'LOV'? 20 Jan 1849
    Her fathers name was Timothy, her mother Mary. Children were John, Thomas, Ellen and Mary (St Giles, I'm guessing this is where they were left) Her siblings were Rosanne, Margaret, Cornelius and John.
    She was Roman Catholic and records say her real name was Fleming.
    She married Charles Nye 10 Oct 1854 he was a constable 37 and her age was given as 34. Christ Church Longford.
    Charles was transported in 1831 and already had permission to marry two others, Eliza Turner in 1842 and Mary Adams in 1843..
    Mary Nye died in 1891 aged 83 born Ireland and she was a house servant.
    Now to my problem.......who was she really?. Did she really have a husband who was transported and if so who was he? What was his name? Wilson? Fleming? I know it wasn't Nye as the photo states.
    I would love some answers if only to satisfy my curiosity about the photo.
    Thank you my fellow detectives.

Half Hour, AnnB, Sis and 3 others like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Forgot to add that when Mary got here her husband had disappeared into the interior and she never saw him again......I think she doth tell tales.:sceptical:

Half Hour, Sis and Chimp like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

If you would like an evening of light hearted reading, check her out on Trove. She's in Launceston Tasmania. I'm surprised she lived to 83. :rolleyes:

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Oh wow A.M.! I must save it for tomorrow a my eyes are over-drawn for today.
    Let's hope it going to be enlightening.

5. Archie's Mum

Another alias. Ticket of Leave granted to Mary Bird (proper name Mary Wilson) Elizabeth and Henry 26 Feb 1853. This lady (loosely) never ceases to amaze me.:nailbiting:

Half Hour, Sis and Chimp like this.
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Lord above - this from the Bolton Chronicle 4th April 1846.....

A Melancholy Case— At the Quarter Sessions of the peace for this borough, (yesterday) a case of a most appalling nature occurred. Mary Bird, alias Wilson, was arraigned on a charge of having stolen £35, from John Waddilove, butcher in this town. The circumstances of the robbery need not be detailed—they may be well-imagined—The prisoner, an unfortunate female, lived, horrifying to relate with her own parents, in a common brothel, at the bottom of what is called Twenty Steps, in Bank-st, and was permitted, and encouraged by them, to eudure a life of the most disreputable nature. When she had committed the theft, she handed the money to her father, who went off with it to Manchester, and there himself got robbed of it in a house of ill-fame. He took this so much to heart, that, in a fit of excitement and despair, he went out and hung himself, an awful example of retributive justice, the prosecutor losing his money for his iniquity, the prisoner receiving no benefit from it, and the author of her being, perhaps of her misfortunes, meeting so awful an end. She had been previously convicted, and was sentenced to transportation for ten years.

7. Archie's Mum

Thank you Ann but thankfully not my Mary. Mary Bird alias Wilson was tried in Lancashire. Mary Nye/Wilson /Fleming was tried in Surrey. They were transported on the same ship and the chid Jane mentioned in Mary Nyes report actually belonged to Mary Bird alias Wilson. She died in the orphan school age 5. So I'm quite happy to keep pursuing Mary Nye. I would stop right now if it was Mary Bird. What a poor soul and a horible life she was forced to endure. I may even follow her to see where her life took her after I research Mary Nye

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  8. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

On the Millbank Prison Registers it says she had 3 previous convictions and that she had been a brothel keeper for 12 years.

Half Hour, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Not at all surprising. Seems it was the only life she knew. Founders and Survivors have her marrying John Acton in 1854. I'm going to be very busy today it seems. First day of my new data allowance so it's all systems go. I was running pretty close to the wind in the last week or so.

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  10. Chimp

it was 1853, PM me your email please :)

11. Archie's Mum

I know. I hit the wrong number. I'm on my iPhone. Will fire up the beast after brekky

12. Chimp

13. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Phew, glad to hear she wasn't your Mary - but a sorry tale of life in the raw nevertheless. I wonder if she as any descendants still living.......

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  14. Chimp

Picture uploaded on behalf of Archie's Mum

Here she is 'Mary Nye'
    DSCF3512.jpg

15. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Rough night here, I became confused by dates & people, started checking out Charles to sort it out. may have to email you Sue before I can look further.
    Will try hot shower & brekky first. :confused:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

Thank you for your help Terry :)
    Isn't she just wonderful. A life hard lived. Heaven knows how she did it, but she did. God love her. I have no idea how old she was when the photo was taken. She may not have been very old at all. Who knows.

Chimp likes this.
  17. Chimp

She is wonderful. You are so lucky to have found her ;)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  18. Archie's Mum

She's not mine! Just found her in a book but I'm loving finding out all about her. I know she married Charles Nye but which one. They had a child, Charles born 14 October 1855 registered under the name of NAPE. Charles Nye was a convict and apparently free to marry, without permission in 1854. He may have been the one transported on the Argyle...lots more work here.
    Was he also a pauper and lover of the bottle? Lets see.

Chimp, Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  19. Archie's Mum

Mary Nye was buried at Cornelian Bay, Hobart 10 January 1891 as a pauper.

Chimp and Half Hour like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

Mary Bird/Wilson/ Acton died 5 August 1868 age 45 of Schirrhus. I have no idea what that is. Any ideas. I thought it may be cirrhosis. A John Acton died in 1870 of liver disease age 70.

Chimp likes this.