Mary Thomas nee Jones

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by spison, Jun 23, 2015.

1. spison

spison Well-Known Member

I cannot accurately identify my great-grandmother's death so would appreciate any advice before I purchase a possible death certificate.

She was born Mary JONES in Leinthall Earles, Herefordshire, in about 1839 to Edward JONES and Ann PAYNE (and she has been a 'payne' to track but I have now found her on all censuses to 1901.) She was baptised in Aymestrey in November 1839. Mary married Charles THOMAS (b. 1840) in Kingsland, Herefordshire, in 1864. Mary and Charles moved to Monmouthshire after their marriage and remained there. Charles died in 1893. I have his death registration. Mary was with her married daughter, Dora BAKER (b. 1879), in Newport, Monmouthshire, in 1901 and was reported to be 58 years old. She is not on the 1911 census. Dora was her only child and the woman, also identified as Mary THOMAS living with Dora in 1901 and 1911 was in fact the woman formerly known as Mary DAVIES and described as a niece of either Mary or Charles in 1881. I think that it would be doubtful that Mary THOMAS, the elder, would be living anywhere else in 1911 and I can't identify her on the census so I feel that the best match for a death based on her last stated age is:
    March quarter 1907 THOMAS Mary 64 Newport, M. V.11a p.196

If her actual age was stated at the time of her death then there are a couple of other possible registrations. I am hoping that there will be something to narrow this down. I have checked the 19th British newspapers but can't seem to find any from Newport so I have no idea exactly when she died.

Please correct any spelling errors or location misquotes if you spot any.

Thanks Jane

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015