MC query

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by ColinA, Mar 29, 2019.

1. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

Annoying, I have a relative named Alice Ann Fletcher (born c. 1866) who I had believed married James Sneesby in 1888 (Whittlesey). It turns out that an Alice Ann Reason also got married in June 1888 and I am wondering if Joseph Oliver actually married my Alice.

If I apply for a marriage certificate (as I can find nothing on the Cambs FHS website) how do I obtain the correct permutation of people? Do I ask for a marriage between Alice Anna Fletcher and James, or Alice Ann Fletcher and Oliver? One of those options will not produce a result. Will I lose my dosh?

Alice Ann Sneesby appeared on 1901 and 1911 census but a GRO search revealed that the maiden ame of her children was Seaton which is even more confusing. :confused:

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Cambridgeshire is one of the counties where there's an online index to BMDs in parallel to the GRO. The local and GRO indexes use different reference numbers, so you can't order from one with the details from the other, but because they are different they can often be useful for cross-checking.

In this case you'll find the Cambridgeshire index at
    Code:
    https://www.camdex.org.uk/search.cfm
    and it will tell you that Alice Fletcher married Joseph Oliver. You can order the certificate from them if you wish, or just go back to the GRO. A local one might possibly include copies of the parties' signatures; a GRO definitely won't.

Incidentally, it used to be the case with GRO marriage certificates that you only needed to give one party's name. This may hark back to the olden days when we looked them up on fiches or in massive printed volumes, since the pre-1911 indexes didn't include the spouse's surname. Without internet databases there was no way of finding it unless you bought the certificate.

Finally, you can find all the local BMD sites at UKBMD - select the county in the left hand menu:
    Code:
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have had a look at the 1901 census (piece 1466, folio 85, page 18) which lists Joseph OLIVER with his wife Alice Ann. His daughter Theodora is also listed whose birth was registered in 1892. It gives the maiden name of the mother as FLETCHER, so this looks to be your Alice Ann. :)

A different route but the same destination as Arthur. ;)

Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom, Dogsday and 4 others like this.
  4. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

Brilliantamundo!

Dogsday, arthurk and Daft Bat like this.