McLeans from Scotland to ?> South Carolina>Tennessee, United States

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Menika, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Menika

Menika Member

This is a brickwall surname that I am hoping to obtain at least immigration information on, and then maybe (hopefully?) I can learn names of other children that were born to him in both South Carolina and Tennessee. Perhaps he wasn't the first McLean of his line to arrive in America, but I'm not sure of this.

The only information I have for him is that his name is Matthew, he has 3 known children: Matthew, b. ca 1797 in South Carolina; John, birth unknown; and Rosanna, b. 24 February 1801 (or 1803) in South Carolina. I found the Matthew McLean family residing in York County, S.C., in 1800. I am not sure of the elder Matthew's wife's name, but others researching state it is Mary Powell. I am not sure when or where he was born, but some state he died in Tennessee in 1804, whilst another researcher shows he and his wife had a son born sometime between 1801-1810.

Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated. Tennessee appears to be among those states who had "Lost Censuses", and with fires and other travesties happening, lots of documents have been lost.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I'm a bit limited with my searches but a google brought up....... genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/Holland/8956.
    It mentions a Matthew Mclain born c 1797. He married Ann Holland in Minnville Tennesee in 1827. His father was also Matthew and is thought that he married a Mary. A John is also mentioned. Not sure if this helps at all but you may find someone on that forum to contact....Good Luck

Menika likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Is this him?
    Mathew Mcclain
    Census
    Paris, Grant, Wisconsin
    Male
    Widowed
    White
    Farmer
    Father
    South Carolina
    Affiliate Name: US National Archives and Records
    Affiliate Publication Number: T9
    Affiliate Film Number: 1427
    John Mcclain self 52 Tennesee
    Ann Mcclain wife 45 Germany
    John Mcclain son 26 Wisconsin
    George Mcclain son 25 "
    Albert Mcclain son 18 "
    Edward Mcclain son 12"
    Thomas Mcclain son 7 "
    Anna Mcclain daughter 5"
    Mathew Mcclain father 83 South Carolina
    Laura Mcclain daughter 14 Wisconsin
    Henry Mcclain son 9 "
    District 120, sheet 279c GS 1255427 digital folder 004244712 image 00343
    Family Search

Menika likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Matthew McClain born 23 October 1797, died 2 Feb 1881, Cornelia, Grant, Wisconsin. Buried Mt Zion Cemetery.
    Family Search

Menika likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

There is lots of info on the Friede-Abrahamson Genealogy Site on the Mcclains but no info further back than Matthew 1797-1881 and his wife Mary Holland. Seems that's where everyone gets stuck :headbang:

Menika likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Menika. I have some ideas on a research approach, but don't have the time right now to explain. I bookmarked this thread (my first one :)) and will revisit later today or perhaps tomorrow with suggestions.
    Archie's Mum has some interesting finds. Is she on the correct track?

7. GrannyBarb

Hi, again. I really hate it when a search interests me and I don't have time to do a thorough job. :mad: In a few stolen moments, I checked the NEHGS site because they have records for all original colonies (and I have a paid membership thru September). Anyway, there was a reference to
    York County marriages, 1770-1869 : implied in York County, SC probate records / by Barbara R. Langdon. (published 1995)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/york-...-york-county-sc-probate-records/oclc/21067641

Follow the above link, scroll down to the section "Find a copy in the library", type in your zip code to get a list of libraries close to you that have a copy.

Familysearch also has the search by location area where the browse only images live. Wish I had the time to crawl through it. Maybe later.

Then there is the wiki for York County, SC on familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/York_County,_South_Carolina_Genealogy

It's quite long, but has most of most of the research category strategies covered. Toward the bottom is a link the to SC Archives online digital collection. The soundex option is in the advanced search - that should get all the variations on the surname, plus some you don't want and can ignore.

Sorry so vague. Gotta go.

Menika likes this.
  8. Menika

Menika Member

Archies Mum, this appears to be my gggg grandmother's brother, Matthew, so yes, you are on the right track! This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  9. Menika

Menika Member

I tried reading the entire post, but it cut off! Ggggrrrrrrrr And, it would not allow me to see any other posts on the thread. So, I just posted a reply to the poster who mentioned a Charles McLain, as this is a name I have not heard of prior, so wonder if its another sibling to Matthew, John and my gggg grandmother, Rosanna?

10. GrannyBarb

Hi, Menika.
    Quick question... did you tell us Rosanna's married name(s)? If you have her when's and where's that might help a little.

There are several McClain's in York County, SC in 1800. Have you looked at any of them to see if they are related to your bunch?

Will continue to peck away at this as time permits.

Menika likes this.
  11. GrannyBarb

Me, again. I did this research a couple of days ago, so I'm just going to copy and paste my notes here:
    1800 Census York District, South Carolina
    Image 00203 SEries M32 Origin 49 Film No. 181424
    Matthew Mcclain household:
    3 male under 10
    1 male 16-25
    1 male 26-44
    1 female under 10
    2 female 10-15
    1 female 16-25
    2 female 26-44
    no slaves :)

Also nearby:, John McClain Sr and Jr households
    William McClain and Andrew McClain households
    Oliver McClain
    Daniel McClain (surrounded by Moore's)

John McClain Sr and Andrew McClain both have adult males over 45

Unfortunately, since Matthew McClain Sr supposedly died in 1804 and the pension / bounty laws were not passed until 1820's and 30's, he was not around to have a pension application. If he had a widow alive then, she could have put in an application, but I don't find one in the records on HeritageQuest.

State and county boundaries were still pretty fluid back then, so widening the search might help.

I'm in touch with a McLean researcher in NC. If you want, I can contact her and see if she has any ideas. PM me (via conversations) if interested.

12. Menika

Menika Member

GrannyBarb, I may have given Rosanna's information before, on another post in a different forum. I will provide it again, tho..Rosanna Margaret McLean was born 24 Feb 1801 or 1803 in YYork CCounty, SC or maybe in TN? I havent found anything proving either birthplace. She married Spencer C Palmer 1 June 1820 in White County, TNagain, no proof of the marriage. They had about 10 or 11 children, starting with Adeline in 1821. My GGG grandfather, William Henderson PPalmer was born 27 June 1823, although some researchers have his birth information being May or 1824. The family ended up in Cairo, AAlexander, IL around 1835, then moved to Grant County, Wisconsin sometime around 1841? Rosanna Palmer died April 1854 or 1857 at age 54, in Grant County. No, I havent checked the other McLean families living in York County, SC to see if they're rrelated. II just was excited to find the elder Matthew McLean in that census! :) someone else researching this family told me via email that she shows a child born to Matthew and Mary(?) between 1801--1810. so, if there was another child born after Matthew's death in 1804, say 1806, it couldnt be his. Dead men dont make babies! :) i am hoping to learn all of Rosanna's siblings' names, so they can be added to my tree. then i will attempt to learn about the other Mclean families in York, SC, which of course is subject to change!! PPlease excuse any typos or misplacements of my response. My phone is not being very cooperative regarding replying to messages.

13. GrannyBarb

Hi Menika,
    Thanks for that additional information. Will add Rosanna's sibs to the old research to-do list. ;) :reading:

"Dead men dont make babies!"... well now-a-days with technology... :rolleyes: :ghost:

Phones and typos?... ah, technology strikes again! :D

Ma-dotcom and Menika like this.
  14. Menika

Menika Member

LMAO true, with technology now-a-days, anything is possible!!! I wasn't sure if you would want/need Rosanna's husband's birth/death info or that of their children. I can provide this information as well, even though I really don't have much on any line other than my direct ancestors, like marriage/death information for Rosanna and Spencer's children outside of William "Henderson" Palmer (my ggg grandfather).

GrannyBarb likes this.
  15. GrannyBarb

No surprise, I entered some to the names discussed into A's free weekend collection set and got nuttin'. :(

16. Menika

Menika Member

GrannyBarb and Archie's Mum:

wanted to share with you both what I discovered last night on ancestry! I started looking at Matthew McClain, b. 1797 d. 1881, and ended up getting some hints for what appears to be his father! Rather than the father's name being Matthew, it may have been John. (Go figure, huh? Lol) anyway, JJohn McLean apparently was born in Ireland in 1755, emigrated in 1774, landing in Philadelphia, PA. After arrival, he joined the Continental Army to fight for independence. As must have been the custom then, he served for 30 days, got out, rejoined, etc. A few times. Ended up being captured and held for 100 days. Around the time the war ended, JJohn married Mary(?) Powell from NC, and they started their family. First child I have found born to them was born in 1791, tho I am sure there were a few before that! Have not located a death date for Mary, but John died in 1829, according to a pension application by a daughter, Nancy McLean.

NNow to figure out how Rosanna and MMatthew ended up in White/SSmith CCounty, TTN without their family around??????? And why????? Of course, i also need to prove the facts i have been fortunate enough to locate. Thank you both for helping mei

GrannyBarb and Archie's Mum like this.
  17. Menika

Menika Member

The owner of that site is my 4x g grandmother's brother Matthew's 4x(?) g granddaughter, so we are cousins! :) I just sent her an email letting her know what I discovered from ancestry..... I posted to you along with GrannyBarb as well.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  18. Archie's Mum

Thank you for the update. Sounds like an interesting life for John

Menika and GrannyBarb like this.
  19. GrannyBarb

That's great news, Menika! I think I saw some of the info on John, but couldn't connect him to Mathew with the resources I had. If you ever get a chance to read images of the pension applications, it's entertaining and educational. :reading:

Tennessee... hmmm, that will present another challenge. ;)

Menika likes this.
  20. Menika

Menika Member

You may have seen it, but until I started looking at his grandson, Matthew (1797-1881), I was searching for a Matthew myself! I haven't connected the younger Matthew to any particular father yet, and definitely am wondering how Matthew, John and Rosanna ended up in TN when it appears the remainder of their family stayed in SC, with a couple of exceptions being that members went into KY. Sisters married that ended up in PA, MD, and Canada! At least, according to the trees I've looked at on ancestry.

Whenever I come across an application for a pension or SAR/DAR, I definitely read them as they are very interesting!

I don't even want to talk about TN and the challenge they present............ lol I'm not quite sure I'm up to it yet!

GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.