McLeans from Scotland to ?> South Carolina>Tennessee, United States

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Menika, Jun 29, 2015.

1. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Menika.

I was looking for one of mine in the War of 1812 records and thought to see if I could find your Mathew (b. 1797).:reading::reading::reading: No luck. :headbang: I thought if he had gotten a bounty land warrant, that might explain a major relocation.

Menika likes this.
  2. Menika

Menika Member

It would explain a major relocation! His sister and her family moved to the same county in Wisconsin as he did, and prior to that his sister Rosanna and her family were in Illinois for a while. Whether or not Matthew went with, I have no idea. The time frame for Rosanna and Spencer Palmer being in Alexander Co., IL is around 1834-1844? Spencer was born in 1796/1797, in NC, so he could have also been in the War of 1812.........

GrannyBarb likes this.
  3. GrannyBarb

Illinois was one of the areas where bounty land was issued, along with Missouri and Arkansas (then in Louisiana). Michigan was on the list, too, but there was some sort of administrative glitch back then, so I'm not clear if they ever actually had any land grants there. I didn't see any in the index logs posted on the internet archives set.

Menika likes this.
  4. Menika

Menika Member

Out of curiosity, did you see any McLeans in Illinois? A genealogy friend of mine also has a McLean that married into one of her lines, and she is somewhat stumped.

5. GrannyBarb

Can't remember now who was where. I remember seeing a Nathan and a James. Fold3 has some 1812 records for free. I've been trying to match up the index record for my chap there to one of the films here:
    https://archive.org/details/warof1812records

:reading::headbang::reading::headbang::reading::headbang:

6. JessieMcClain

JessieMcClain New Member

Old post revival. Hoping you all have had some luck and answers by now. Did anyone come across a John McClain born.1755 with a Grandson named William T McClain b.abt 1820.? William married Nancy A UNKNOWN and relocated to Mississippi. Census confirms in 1850. I have descendants but struggling to get William's fathers name.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  7. GrannyBarb

Welcome, Jessie! :)
    Ooo! Another challenge! Will do some checking and get back to you. :reading:

8. GrannyBarb

Okay. I found an image of a land patent dated 1846 for William Thompson McClain of Chickasaw County, Mississippi for about 159 acres. It's late here, so will pick this up tomorrow, time permitting.

9. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I wonder:
    Marriage of William T McClain to Nancy M Turner 13 June 1841, Winston Mississippi.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  10. GrannyBarb

Here's a link to search for Land Patents:

Code:
    https://glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx
    I did a search for McClain in Mississippi. The big landholder there is Thomas Nelson McClain. If they are somehow related, that could be helpful.

@JessieMcClain , do you have any idea where in South Carolina that William T was from? I started to trudge through the probate records on familysearch, but need a little more guidance where and when to look.

11. JessieMcClain

JessieMcClain New Member

So glad I came back here, I hadn't received notifications of responses.
    Thanks so much @GrannyBarb got the land patent and that appears to be a match

I looked into the William McClain marriage to Nancy Turner @Archie's Mum. It's not a match for our William unfortunately. That William does end up in the same area as our McClain's though so could be a relative.

Still unable to locate his parents or a surname for Nancy A. Starting to think this brick wall may be of steel

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. JessieMcClain

JessieMcClain New Member

No unfortunately, William is my steel trap.
    His son John McClain b. abt 1844 married Mary L Finley/Fenley in Sep 1867 in Arkansas if that is of any help.