McQuillans in Garnkirk, Cadder

Discussion in 'Lanarkshire' started by Sheryl B, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

I am interested in trying to locate more information about a McQuillan family who came from Ireland to Garnkirk in c1841-1842. Do school records exist for about 1850s in this area? How can I work out which part of Ireland this family was from or access records of their arrival in Scotland? Any help on this is extremely gratefully received! With hopeful anticipation! Father = Charles McQuillan and the person of interest is Helen McQuillan born in Garnkirk in 1842.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Do you have a paid sub to any genealogy sites Sheryl? or
    Try these for to get some ideas:
    http://
    genforum.genealogy.com/mcquillan/

http://mcquillans.net/

http://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search

key in a name to the search box. You may find someone looking for same family.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Sheryl B likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Sheryl B likes this.
  4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I don't have access to the actual records but from the FMP index Helen with father Charles and family seem to be in Garnkirk in 1851 as McQuillen. There is also in Garnkirk an Edward McQuillen son of a Catherine McQuillen - a poss brother and mother?

Charles and fam are still there in Cadder dist in 1861minus Helen. There is, among other children, a daughter Margaret and on checking on Scotland's People she was born in 1855 - the magic year when all sorts of information about her parents is given on the birth certificate including place of birth - so definitely one to download.

Charles' death cert and that of his wife Ellen/Eleanor should give parent's names.

There will be no shipping records for the family's arrival in Scotland as no such records were made.

Hope this helps.

Sheryl B likes this.
  5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

You could try contacting North Lanarkshire Archives
    http://www.
    northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6466

Sheryl B likes this.
  6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

These 3 from familysearch

Margaret Mcquillan
    Birth Date 21 Nov 1855, Cadder, Lanarkshire
    Father Charles Mcquillan
    Mother Helen Dorin
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number C11626-1, GS Film number 6035516

Alice Mcquillon
    Birth Date 15 Jul 1857, Cadder, Lanarkshire
    Father Charles Mcquillon
    Mother Ellen Doran

Michael Mcquillin
    Birth Date 04 Jan 1861, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire
    Father Charles Mcquillan
    Mother Helen Dorin

Sheryl B, Ma-dotcom and Grizel like this.
  7. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

Wow!! Thanks so much for all this information! I am new to this forum but I can see that it is very important not to post too many queries at the same time as I would not be able to keep up with the work on the possible leads! I really am so thankful that I found this forum as I am smashing down walls in all directions. I will try to follow up this information today! You are amazing Chimp, Grizel, and Ma-dotcom, you are so helpful.

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Grizel and 2 others like this.
  8. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

Thanks so much for all these links -- I am going to find the time to research them all in my pursuit of my Ellen -- I appreciate your help very much!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

I tried the North Lanarkshire Archives and they have no school records they tell me! So my next step may well be to pay for and get the birth cert for Margaret McQuillan for the wonderful 1855 information that it may contain!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

What is the best option for ordering Scottish certificates? Does anyone know if there are cheaper options than a full certificate in this part of the world??

11. Ma-dotcom

I believe there are transcription services available try googling "Scottish Certificate Transcriptions.
    or
    http://www.
    scottishcertificates.org.uk/
    Scottish Certificates provides replacement Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership certificates registered anywhere in Scotland. The fee for a replacement certificate is £15.00 plus postage. Second or subsequent copies of the same certificate, ordered at the same time, cost £10.00 each.

12. Ma-dotcom

Sheryl I saw your NZ location & thought you may have been chasing a NZ relly. Did you Helen/Ellen & family stay in Scotland do you know or are you hoping to discover that answer?

13. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

Hello Wendy!
    Ellen McQuillan came to NZ in 1862, aged about 20, landing at Timaru! I am trying to get back past her arrival but nothing she has left gives us any idea of her parents names etc. She tells us, in a few of the birth entries for her children, that her "native place" is Hogganfield, Lanarkshire. But I have never found her there. . . just up the road in Garnkirk, Cadder, I have found a Helen McQuillan with dates that might fit and trying to see what I can uncover from there! It is only about 3.5 miles between Hogganfield and Garnkirk so it is a possibility. Many of the siblings in her family have the same names as those our Ellen gave her 11 children born in and around Dunedin!
    So, yes I am chasing a New Zealand great-grandmother but with nothing substantial to go on!
    If the family I am looking into is correct then some of her siblings and her mother, after the death of the husband, emigrated to the US. They lived in Youngstown, Ohio and there is a link there as Ellen and Henry William Baron are said to have, in snippets of family information, travelled to Chicago or Cleveland a couple of times in the early 1900s. So really, I am following up anything and everything to try to smash down this brick wall. I just need some real evidence to link all of this together!!
    So that is where I am at! It sounds like you are in for very high temperatures where you are! We are off to Melbourne and Tasmania January 2 so I hope it has cooled a little by then so we can visit our sons in peace!!
    Sheryl

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Sheryl
    Best way is to register with scotlandspeople (see post 3) and buy a few credits . Minimum spend is 7 GBP for 30 credits. You can then download the 1855 birth directly.

Ma-dotcom and Sheryl B like this.
  15. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

Well, that is what I ended up doing and that was a great option! Both Margaret's parents (and, therefore, Helen's parents as well) are listed as being from County Down, Ireland!! Another wee snippet for me. . . Thanks so much for your guidance.

Ma-dotcom, Grizel and Daft Bat like this.
  16. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is worth checking out a Helen McIlquham in Clyde dist in 1861 b 1843 and gives pob as Hogganfield. (But she may be a Helen McIlquham who is in Inner High parish in 1851.)

There is also a Helen McQuilliam in Hutcheson town b 1838.

I think you may well have the right Helen - but proving the link may be tricky. She is missing from the Garnkirk family in 1861 so that is in her favour.

Have you checked the addresses for the family in 1851 and 1861 to see if Hogganfield is mentioned?

There are also 3 marriages on FS which would need to be eliminated -
    1865 New Monkland,Helena McQuillan spouse James Cooley
    1869 New Monkland,Ellen McQuillen spouse Francis Currie
    1858 Barony Helen McQuillen spouse John McLachlan

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

To all of you who have sent me off on new research tangents with the McQuillans of Lanarkshire please accept my sincere thanks and my best wishes for this most blessed of seasons! I appreciate all the new leads!

18. PeterB

PeterB New Member

Margaret McQuillen from Cadder Scotland was my Great Grandmother. She had an older sibling name Ellen born about 1841. Margaret was born in 1855 and emigrated to Youngstown, Ohio and died there in 1911. Her parents were Charles McQuillen and Helen (Ellen) Doran. They were married in Annaclone Parrish, County Down, Norther Ireland about 1835. Margaret had a passle of siblings the oldest of which I think were born in Ireland and most were older than her. Anyway in answer to your original question of where in Ireland the McQuillen's were from the answer is County Down. I believe if you lookup Annaclone Parish you can find links to the parrish registers. I have not checked them myself. The family is in the 1851 census in Scotland living at Lower Row, 7, Cadder, Lanarkshire, Scotland

The great Irish diaspora sure sent our clan far and wide eh?

Grizel, GrannyBarb, Sheryl B and 2 others like this.
  19. PeterB

PeterB New Member

You will find the family in the 1851 census of Scotland living at Lower Row, 7, Cadder, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Helen's older brother James is listed as having been born in Ireland in 1841 while Helen is listed as born in Scotland 1842 so you can figure they emigrated in 1841 or 1842. It is not in the census but they came from Annaclone, County Down, Northern Ireland. Helen's father was Charles McQuillen (with variations in the spelling of the last name "an", "in") and mother was Helen (Ellen, Ellenor) Doran. They were married about 1835 in Annaclone Parrish (Roman Catholic). Cadder is just outside of Glasgow. Charles McQuillen was my great great grandfather.

Ma-dotcom, Grizel, GrannyBarb and 2 others like this.
  20. Sheryl B

Sheryl B Member

Peter, I am so pleased to meet you and to know that we are both researching the same family! I would love to correspond with you and to share the NZ line of this family with you. I am very interested in photos and detail on Margaret's family line down to you and your children!