Melcombe Regis Cemetery

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 14, 2021.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

There are two cemeteries in the Westham area of Weymouth, and I had occasion to visit both this weekend. Weymouth cemetery (for those that lived south of the harbour) is on Abbotsbury Road, and we scattered my nan's ashes there this weekend, but I didn't take any photos -- too busy being involved in what was going on (plus I don't like an audience) but there are about 80 war graves here

Melcombe Regis cemetery (for those that lived north of the harbour) is on Newstead Road, and my sister and I walked the dog there on Saturday evening. There's a fair few war graves there so I took some pictures, much to my sister's puzzlement (though when I explained she was slightly more interested). According to the CWG site there are 190 servicepeople buried or commemorated here, including many Australians. Failing light and uncertainty about my camera's performance meant I didn't get to them all ...

(sorry about the date stamp, don't know how to remove it or change it) War mem Melcombe R cememtery.JPG cj hopkins mrcem.JPG gv dibben mrcem.JPG w downer mrcem.JPG jh sykes mrcem.JPG gl banbury mrcem.JPG wi greatrex mrcem.JPG g miele mrcem.JPG wildflowers mrcem.JPG vh bright ag sowley mrcem.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    kernowmaid, Doug, burt and 2 others like this.
  2. mugwortismy cat

3. mugwortismy cat

Plus the war memorial at Weymouth Holy Trinity church

Holy Trinity war mem Weymo.JPG

LianeH, Doug, Archie's Mum and 3 others like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Beautiful, such a peaceful, friendly place with all of those white daisies-wild flowers.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Thank you for this. I did a little research just a while ago and found that 83 of the 142 WW1 graves are of Australian servicemen. Weymouth became a depot for Australian forces in 1916. Something I have just learnt.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.