Merge / compare multiple trees

Discussion in 'Genealogy Software' started by WelchRegLost, Nov 23, 2018.

1. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

After a long and bitter split in my mothers side of the family (covering at least 3 generations) they have started to make up.

Due to this split I have ended up with 3 online trees and 2 trees on my pc, at the time I started I didn't realise that the software would allow you to just pull out parts of a tree to show someone.

Does anyone know of a way I can merge these into one consistent tree? and then keep the tree consistent across the 3 online sites.

Thanks in advance

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily know the answer to this, but it would probably help if you could tell us:

(a) which site(s) the online trees are on

(b) which FH program you have on your computer

Blackmogs likes this.
  3. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Generic answer:
    Start a new tree. One at a time, import (probably via GED) each existing tree. After each import, somewhere in the software should be a way to check for duplicates. After each "cleanup" check for unintended deletions / errors. Rinse and repeat.

If you don't already have it, you will probably need a software program on your local machine to do this.
    Good luck.

4. WelchRegLost

Thank you Barb, the downside is 60% of the surnames in the tress are "Smith" which I can envision leading to a lot of errors in which ever method I try.

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  5. WelchRegLost

A) online ate Ancestry, FMP, Myhetritage.

B) Legacy and myHertitage

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Legacy have a really good face book page to help with queries such as this. Also I have merely googled their 'tips' & other queries at times. There is one named-"Legacy News: Legacy tip: how to combine multiple family files into one". I just found that one, other tips on merging.

I'm facing the same job, also whether to make my file all Legacy 9 or keep the originals as Legacy 7 to use on small net book, or just because I want to. ;)

WelchRegLost likes this.
  7. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Fabulous tech skills Barb. Respect :)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  8. GrannyBarb

Another alternative that occurs to me is to break the task into little chunks:
    Start a new tree. Focus on a particular family group, starting with what you know (you, your parents, their sibs, etc.) using the other trees as research sources. Work your way back, one generation at a time, just using the other trees as reference, and build a "clean" tree. It's labor intensive, but gives you ultimate control of the process and the results.

WelchRegLost, Bonzo Dog and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. WelchRegLost

Having just done the automatic merging and clean up of duplicates my tree has grown from 2000 to 27000 individuals.

Think your idea of doing one at a time manually is the way to go :) :eek::eek::eek:

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  10. GrannyBarb

Gosh! That's not a helpful result, is it? :eek::oops::headbang:
    Hmmph! Well, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Takes awhile, though. Sorry the "faster" auto-route was a bust.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and WelchRegLost like this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

In checking my files-I have two open side by side on same family Phillips+, I am in effect merging one at a time by comparing names from bottom to top, adding as I go along from each file. These double ups began when I lost many with a computer crash years ago & saved from external drives which needed updating. Only 53 to catch up with these two, then the big one of merging the Phillips line back into the Martin line. Both of these have duplicate names in but also many different as I have concentrated on each one at different times. Originally separating families as an earlier version of Legacy gave up before I'd finished & wouldn't let me enter any more names. '5' I think. Habit kept me with legacy but I can whizz it off to Family HIstorian one day soon as there is not too much there in. Rot web too shall have a refill if I ever finish this lot.

I feel tired already.

GrannyBarb likes this.