Michael Davies born in St Clears area circa 1790

Discussion in 'Carmarthenshire' started by Philip Thomas, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Philip Thomas

Philip Thomas New Member

Although I know quite a lot about my GGGF Thomas Davies, born in St Clears in 1823, not least from the Family Bible he kept, written in Welsh, which makes no reference to his parents!
    I have a copy of TD's 4 February 1845 certificate when he married Elizabeth Rees at Bethania Chapel, Dowlais. It is that document which informed me that TD's father was Michael, a Labourer. ER was born on 13 July in Llanarth the daughter of Farmer Evan Rees 1797:1873 ,who died in Dowlais.
    TD was a Puddler living in Brecon Street when he married and in due course became a Master Puddler.
    He moved quite often:
    1850 New South Wales
    1851 Bethania St.
    1954 Walter St.
    1856 Mary Ann St.
    1870 Morlais St.
    1877 Penywern
    1879 14 Glendower St.
    1881 Pond Street
    on 16 August he and his by then small family went by train to Aberystwyh, not far, of course, from Llanarth, for a week's holiday. He returned by train, but in a coffin as he drowned on the Rofawr Beach. In his 1879 will he refers to himself as Forge Manager, and to his Library.
    I am new to this process and perhaps I should have posted this on the Glamorgan forum;but my wish is to discover something about my Carmarthen family .
    Philip Thomas

mugwortismy cat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I am sorry Phillip haven't been able to find any info about Thomas's parents

Chimp likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

FMP has the bap regs for St Clears. I have looked through from 1823 and cannot see a bap. for Thomas.
    There was this bap with father Michael, the only one I could see. upload_2019-1-10_20-35-2.png

I did notice a Davies family was also entered on another entry as David.

Sandiep and Chimp like this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I, too, cannot find the baptism of a Thomas DAVI(E)S/DAVID at St Clears. However, this looks to be the family that MM has found in the above baptismal record, living at Llanfihangel in the 1841 census (HO107/1382/24. folio 25, page 16):

Michael DAVIES 55 Carier
    Sarah do 55
    Amy do 13

All born in the county. Michael & Sarah are still living in Llanfihangel in the 1851 census, surname enumerated as DAVID, and he is shown as a Carrier born c1786 in Treleach. There is a marriage on 5 November 1807 at Llanwinio of a Michael DAVIES of Treleach & a Sarah JONES, which could prove relevant to you - image available to view on FMP.

Janet

Sandiep and MollyMay like this.
  5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Further to the above, one baptism at Llanwinio on 7 March 1808 of a son Jonah, a non-conformist baptism at Trelech on 24 June 1813 of a daughter Martha followed by another non-conformist baptism at St Clears on 20 March 1816 of Febe daughter of Michael DAVID by Sarah his wife, Llanvihangel - all images available to view on FMP. I still cannot find the baptism of a Thomas DAVIES or variants though.

Janet

Sandiep and MollyMay like this.