Milk Street and Clandon Street, Walworth

Discussion in 'London' started by annabel, Jul 15, 2017.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I'm looking for these streets on a map where either of a potential Lock couple lived when they died in 1833-7. I'm hoping they were close to each other. I'm getting confused with Milk Street, Cheapside which I think is a different one. I think it was possibly somewhere near East Street, but I'm blowed if i can find them. Can a clever person help me locate them?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I cannot find a Milk st, other than Cheapside, there is a Clandon Close over in Acton, but Clandon St. is further down sth in or near Lewisham. A Clandon Rd in Essex.
    We really need Flook to pop in.

Flook likes this.
  3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Morning all. I was out enjoying myself yesterday and so I've only just seen this.
    I have found both streets in Walworth Common and they are quite close to each other. I'm now trying to find a map which shows them both (so far I can only find them on earlyish 19th century maps which are divided by map joins, but I'll keep scouting around).

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and MollyMay like this.
  4. Flook

Right, I have found them both on pre-1850s maps but they are much easier to see on this 1862 Stanford Map. I'm fairly certain 'Clandon' Street is known as Claddon Street on contemporary maps**.

After you've brought up this map just click on the top right hand corner somewhere and it will zoom in.

http://www.mappalondon.com/london/south-east/walworth.jpg

On this map look down the right hand side until you see Clarendon Street (it's quite a prominent street and runs right up to the margin of the map). That is what was called Claddon Street.
    Go further down the page to the yellow line which is Boundary Lane. Go left along the Lane and you will come to Milk Street. (East Street is a large street just above the green area marking the site of St Peter's Church).

That Claddon Street became Clarendon Street is shown in Cruchley's 1846 map. At the bottom middle of this map you will see Liverpool Street and Merrow Street and just to the right of them is Claddon Street.

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1846map/5_4c.htm

** Clandon Street is used in St Peter's Burial Register and you can imagine how this morphed into Clarendon. 'Claddon' is probably the map maker's 'take' on the name - they're known to have sometimes got a street name wrong!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    annabel, Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and 2 others like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well done Flook, although I found reference to Milk Street, Walworth Common, I couldn't for the life of me find it on any of my maps. I was going to look on-line this morning if no-one else had found them. I thought you might have come up trumps :)

Ma-dotcom, Flook, MollyMay and 2 others like this.
  6. Flook

Thank you Ann. I got a bit fidgety a few minutes ago as I saw there was a Clarendon Street in Lambeth, but I've just checked the street list in the 1861 Census Enumerator's Description (via The Genealogist) and the Walworth Clarendon Street was definitely still Clandon Street at that time.

AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Brilliant Flook thank you. I didn't check the new/old street names as I got caught up with family sorting again.

Flook likes this.
  8. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Oh well done! Thank you for that, it really helps sort things out

Flook likes this.