1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mills Family Tree.

Discussion in 'Hertfordshire' started by Diane Brown, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Diane Brown

Diane Brown New Member

hello, I am new to this site which is great, I am looking for The Mills Family, who in the tree were Miniaturist artists and other aspects of the art world, just had information from a cousin, about the family in Hitchin so I thought I would impart what I received, Joseph Mills son of Thomas born Hitchin Herts, a glover and breech maker, died 1834 all the information is gleaned from two Diaries which were written by Alfred Mills, the Artist of quite high fame as miniaturist in London, connected to The Paxton family of London. Thank you Diane.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hi Diane, welcome.
    The first thing I can see, apart from pages and pages of books written by Alfred is an Oxford Dictionary Of Biography stating that Alfred Mills 1776-1883, draughtsman and engraver was born according to his own account on 3 September 1776 at the Lying in Hospital, City Road, London, the third son but second to survive to adulthood, of Isaac Mills 1745-1809 and his wife Magdalene Featherstone 1748-1799
    So at least that may give a start to finding extended family.
    Do you know how Alfred is connected to Joseph or is that what we will be trying to determine?

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Just googling the name Joseph Mills Hitchin Herts brought me to WikiTree where the contents of an old diary of Joseph Mills dated 1798 are shown.
    On one page is written:
    'Richard Mills died at Reading Berkshire 1838 age 38
    Joseph Mills farther of the above died 1834 at Hitchin aged 86
    Joseph Mills son of the above Joseph Mills died at Luton 1867 aged 82'

There is more but the contents can be found simply by doing what I did and google his name. The diary contents should come up on Wiki
    Its quite an interesting read and the lady who owns the diary is a very fortunate lady.

4. Archie's Mum

So it seems that Joseph who died in 1834 is the father of Richard (died 1838) and Joseph who died 1867. Thomas being their grandfather.
    Great stuff there.

5. Archie's Mum

This was written on the back of a miniature silhouette pictured on WikiTree

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Welcome Diane.
    There's lots of trees on Ancestry. One in particular has lots of original information about Joseph and family.

7. Diane Brown

Diane Brown New Member

Many many thanks, just found this info from a very kind cousin, thank you all, Diane

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Diane Brown

Diane Brown New Member

I am not in Ancestory, I'm on Genes, and I use IGI, so many thanks for help, Diane.

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Sis like this.
  9. Diane Brown

Diane Brown New Member

Good one imwill have a perus, many thanks for your kindness, Diane.

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Sis like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Hi Diane,
    If you go into Family Search, genealogies not Records you will come across a very large tree with all descendants of Isaac Mills born 1695-1721
    He married Sarah Garret.
    They in turn had Isaac 1715-1760 who married Elizabeth?
    Then came Isaac 1745-1809 who married Magdalene Featherstone 1749-1799 she was baptised St Dunstable Stepney, father John Featherstone mother Sarah Barker.
    They were the parents of your Alfred Mills 1776-1833. He married Priscilla Broad 1783-1867.
    I found this last night on Family Search. Ithink siblings are included as well. It should hopefully help you to get on track with your research.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. Diane Brown

Diane Brown New Member

Thank you very much, I have most of that but this is the best site yet, thanks to folks like you, thank you.Diane

Chimp, AnnB, Sis and 3 others like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Joseph Mills son of Thomas Mills was born in 1747 Isham Northamptonshire. He married Mary (Angel) in 1783 St Mary’s Hitchin.
    Children were Joseph, Rebecca, Hephzibah and Richard (mentioned on the silhouette in post #3)
    Thomas Mills, Joseph 1747 father was born 1717 Isham Northamptonshire. His brothers were Isaac Mills and Simon Mills.
    Thomas father was Isaac Mills born in Glasgow c1675. Mother was Sarah Garrett.
    From WikiTree contributed information created December 2017 and sourced by a journal written by a descendant.

Sis likes this.
  13. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There's a marriage bond for an Isaac Mills, age 30 who is a sergeant in the second regiment of Footguards and Dorothy Thompson widow of St Margarets, Westminster dated 1 Aug 1743. It was supposed to take place at St Benedicts church near Pauls Wharf London. According to Familysearch that's wher they married, on 1 Aug 1743 at St Benedicts church near Pauls Wharf London.

There's an Isaac Mills baptised in Hunsdon, Herfordshire in 1713, father Thomas Mills.