Missing 1901 & 1911

Discussion in 'British Census' started by dizzyme, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

It does say under nature of qualification - 'dwelling house'

dizzyme likes this.
  2. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

He is no longer in Butcher St in 1901.
    In 1898 abode is 146 Exeter St and also mentioned are 51 Tomlinson St Horton and Fitzgerald St Horton

dizzyme likes this.
  3. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Really frustrating that William H Pascoe, doesn't appear on the 1901 Census on Ancestry.

Have searched the 1901 census for other 'William H Pascoe or William Pascoe' b1873 with 5 years either side residing in Bradford, with no success so William in Armley Prison appears to be the one.

To be able to vote in 1900 you had to be male, own property or 'pay a handsome rent'. It changed after WWI.

Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The marriage certificate is on Ancestry. She gives her age as 26 (b 1869ish). The address she gives is 49 Tomlinson Street, Horton. Her father is named as William, a Plasterer (deceased). Witnesses are Thomas and Sarah Fallon.

Searching for 49 Tomlinson Street in 1891 finds a Fallon family there - including Mary, born 1863 (did she lie about her age at her marriage because William Henry was younger than her?). Her mother Mary is a widow, so looked for them in earlier census.

No trace in 1881, but they appear to be at Longcroft Place, Bradford in 1871 (RG10/4466/30/4). Head of household is William born 1835 in Ireland - a Plasterer.

I think the witnesses at the marriage in 1895 are Mary's brother Thomas and his wife Sarah who married in 1894 (certificate on Ancestry) - where he gives his father as William, a Plasterer (deceased) and an address of 49 Tomlinson Street.

I believe this Mary Pascoe can be found on the 1901 census at 22 Buck Street, Bradford and in 1911 at 40A Skinhouse Street, Bradford. In both census she says she was born in Bradford and is married - but there is not a husband in sight on either census.

Grizel and dizzyme like this.
  5. Jellylegs

May be worth it - the Army Service Records for both Norman Pascoe Sutcliffe and William Henry Pascoe mention Harriet Sutcliffe and the address of 60 or 66 (it changes on both records) Bower Street, Manchester Road, Bradford.

Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. dizzyme

Ahh, thank you Jellylegs, will order the certificate! Haven't looked at William's Army records - next on the list. App

Intriguing as to where her two children are? I wonder if given he was married, they are all living under a different surname in 1911?

Grizel, Ma-dotcom and Jellylegs like this.
  7. dizzyme

Have now received Clara's marriage certificate dated 26 Dec 1924. She doesn't name a father on there! Her address is given as 66 Bower Street, Bradford.

Also, William Henry Pascoe's death certificate dated 01 Jan 1919. He gives his address as 66 Bower Street, Bfd and the informant was H Sutcliffe of 66 Bower Street, Bfd, Causing the body to be buried so not giving away the nature of their relationship but I imagine they were living together and he is the father of her two children. The interesting thing on the death cert is that William's occupation is given as 'Vocalist'.... That leads to the question of did he have a stage name & that is why he can't be found on 1911 census? It may also explain why a few address are linked to him and why he was eligible to vote!
    Off to buy some credits on FMP to look at his Army records :)

8. dizzyme

Looking at the Army records, it has this for next of kin William H Pascoe.JPG . The top line is 'Unmarried', the wife on the second but what is the first word that is crossed out? Second word I think is Pascoe.

9. Jellylegs

I've look at that all ways - I think it's supposed to be the first name of his "wife", but really can't work out what :( If it is the same chap that married Mary Fallon, it doesn't look like Mary. Maybe Margaret, but not sure about that either.

dizzyme likes this.
  10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I agree with Jellylegs, the only name that jumps out at me is Margaret, maybe Margret, but I’m not really convinced o_O

Jellylegs and dizzyme like this.
  11. dizzyme

I thought Margaret as well but not convinced. Have been trying to find William (H) Pascoe with a father Samuel (as given on the marriage cert to Mary Fallon) in the census but not having much luck, William also gave his age as 22yrs on that marriage cert in Dec 1895. Mary Fallon was aged 26yrs, maybe he added a couple of years given she was older than him! Tried comparing the signature on the marriage cert & army records but the latter has been signed by the witness rather than William :headbang::headbang:

12. dizzyme

William also states in his 1915 army records that he was in the 9th Foot Green Howards but no dates given.