Moon Stuck

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by MollyMay, Apr 16, 2019.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Mary Ann Manners (its OK I have her sorted;)) married George Moon 13/11/1887.
    They have 4 children (although on the 1911 she says 6 - 4 living)
    George John b 1888
    Louisa Maud b 8/1/1890
    Jane Elizabeth b 1892
    Florence Mary B 25/6/1896

They are together in 1891 RG12/464/11/22 + Jane Manners (Mary Ann's sister)

George and the 3 older children go into Greenwich Workhouse in 30/4/1898 discharged 2/5/1898
    Then George jnr, Louisa and Jane on 14/5/1898 but on 21/5/1898 George jnr, Catherine and Jane are admitted again.
    How did Louisa Maud become Catherine?

George senior died June qtr 1900 age 37 Greenwich 1d 555

1901 census sees Mary Ann and youngest daughter Florence living with her uncle William Stapleton
    George b1888 is in Chatham Belle Vue Infirmary Northouse Hospital as a scholar RG13/824/41/8
    Jane and Catherine are in Gordon House Industrial School in Isleworth RG13/1183/82/3
    I cannot find Jane after this - can anyone help?

1911 Mary Ann and Florence are RG14/PN2632/SN130 (I have the death of Mary A and Florence's life sorted)
    1911 George is in the Army, a musician, in India (I have him sorted, marriage, emigration to Canada and death)
    A Catherine Louisa Moon married Charles William Margetson June qtr 1909 Farnham 2a 281
    Sept qtr 1909 Winifred Louisa Margetson is registered mmn Moon Farnham 2a 137
    1911 census in Glamorgan Catherine Louisa Margetson with husband Charles William and Winifred RG14/PN32616/SN232 Catherine gives her pob as New Cross London
    2 more daughters are born, registered in Neath Gertrude May 1912, Annie 1914 both mmn Moon
    I have no idea what happens to these 3 girls.
    1924 sees the marriage of Alfred Cotton to Catherine Louisa Margetson or Moon, in Greenwich (Sept qtr 1d 1211)
    1937 in Lewisham is Alfred Cotton b25/3/1889 and his wife Catherine Louisa born 8/1/1890 - which satisfies me that this is Louisa Maud daughter of Mary A and George Moon - does anyone else agree?
    1937 Charles William Margetson is in Norfolk and is listed as divorced
    Is there anywhere I might find details of the divorce?
    Can anyone help fill the blanks - what happened to Jane Moon, any divorce records or the 3 Margetson girls

Dogsday likes this.
  2. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I think definitely Catherine Louisa and Louisa Maud are the same person
    Divorce records are released after 100 years I believe, though there may be mention in the newspapers

Dogsday and MollyMay like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The divorce is in TNA catalogue at
    Code:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=catherine%20louisa%20margetson&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
    If you click on the title it takes you to a page which tells you that the image cannot be downloaded but does imply you can request a copy.

I can't find anything about the divorce in a paper :(

4. AnnB

I’ve found George Moon’s death reported in the Kentish Mercury of the 4th May 1900 :(
    At the Congregational Hall Deptford on Friday, the inquest took place on the body of George Moon, aged 37, of 146, Church Street, Deptford. The widow stated that she had not lived with deceased for six months, and that he was a drunken man. William Hallman, night watchman at a common lodging house, said that the deceased had lodged there for some months. Witness was in the habit of calling him up at five o’clock in the morning, but when he went to bed on Tuesday night he informed witness that he should not want to be called on Wednesday morning. When witness went to call him for breakfast he was dead. Dr Jones of 36, Albury Street, Deptford, said that the cause of death was failure of the heart’s action from chronic alcoholism, and a verdict to that effect was returned.

5. MollyMay

Wow - thank you Ann. I had sort of worked out that Mary Ann and the youngest girl were no longer with George (why would you leave 3 older children with him though?:(). How sad. I guess Mary Ann moved in with her uncle and family at that point (she is with him in 1901), perhaps there was no room for the older ones.

Dogsday and AnnB like this.
  6. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Deaths Sep 1967
    Moon Jane E 66 Greenwich 5b 353

don't know if this might be her but birth not quite right :(

scrap this its a Jane ellen Moon and shes married to Alfred Ernest !!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    MollyMay likes this.
  7. MollyMay

I have now found marriages for the three Margetson daughters - which is as far as I want to take them.
    I have found a baptism for Jane Elizabeth Moon on 7/9/1892 but still nothing after 1901. I did check the Canada Home Children, but she does not appear on the Barnardos lists, so I still have no idea what happened to her after 1901.

Dogsday and AnnB like this.
  8. AnnB

Well, you and me both Sue. I thought I might have found her married to a chap named James Bridgman, with a daughter named Ellen and living in Deptford in 1911 - but Ellen’s mother’s maiden name turned out to be Cahill......and you can’t make Moon out of Cahill :rolleyes:

Half Hour and MollyMay like this.
  9. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I expect you have looked at peter higginbothams site
    Code:
    http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/IsleworthIS/
    shame the pictures on there don't have names one of them could be Jane!!
    It says London Metropolitan has records of committee minutes could be worth a look if anyone is going there.
    Apart from that sorry I am all mooned out:D

10. MollyMay

Thank you Sandie - I confess to have not looked up the home - it seems to have been one of the nicer ones (well from the pictures). I would love to go to the LMA again, but fear it will not happen:(

I have come to the conclusion Jane must have emigrated, there is just no records for her after 1901.

Thank you for trying:)

Sandiep and AnnB like this.