Moore, Waldron & Worthington missing link

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Jessica, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Hi, I and several family members have DNA linked to a family in NZ. Her family tree: Emily Worthington was born in Thames NZ 1878 (of George & Mary nee. Hole, both Farnham born). Emily gave birth to Clarence Sidney Raymond Worthington in Thames 29 August 1898. There is no father mentioned on certificate.

George and Mary travelled to NZ on the Jessie Osborne. Judging by DNA our link has to come through the missing father’s family.

We believe the link is through the Moore & Waldron family trees. In my tree Edward John Brown Moore (b1841) a silversmith, married Jane Waldron(b1843). Both from Middlesex, London. My tree on ancestry is the Thomas-Day tree.

Clarence was born a Worthington, shortly after his mum married Lionel Levert and had more children but she died young and Levert kept his own children and sent Clarence over the road to be brought up by Kennedy’s. He was never formally adopted by them but took their name.

As stories go Clarence’s father was said to have drowned before his birth and another suggested it was a cousin. Can’t say I convinced either is accurate but I don’t know.

The father must have been born 1880 or older. And either born NZ from English parents or born England and then travelled. I’m really stuck on how to find the link or even reduce the options. Any help/guidance would be amazing.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hi Jessica, welcome in.
    Have you tried looking at Papers past
    Code:
    https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers
    &
    Code:
    https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search
    or Electoral rolls via ancestry?
    All are so very helpful.

3. Jessica

Jessica New Member

No but I’ll have a look, I’ve just used ancestry primarily and my local history center where the Dorset records are held. Although I’ve been doing family tree for 20years I’m beginning to realise how basic I’ve been in my searching. I had started to go through electoral rolls though and they were interesting but only show those that own property in 1896/7? Is that right?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Jessica if you mean N.Z. electorals, not necessarily property owners, just those of voting age. I recently found & was able to prove a family's link to a DNA match with a more recent DNA match.

Jessica likes this.