More Difficult Reading

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Amle, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone can help me read the occupation of Henry aged 27, it says **** Cabinet Maker. It is only the occupation I would like to know more about. Henry remained a 'cabinet maker' all his life. I have captured a larger picture to compare other letters written.
    With thanks Elizabeth Cabinet maker.jpg

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Portable?

3. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Looks like Portable to me also Jane.

Edit - On second thoughts I think Sortable. The P in Punter is nothing like the first letter in the word. The first letter looks more like the S in Sarah.

I found a couple of refs on google to sortable box cabinets

4. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

I've just had a look on The Genealogist where there's a very clear image and, as Huncamunca has said, it is definitely 'Portable'.

5. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

I also think portable. Maybe like those campaign chests you sometimes see on antiques programmes?

6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Yes, I'd say it was 'Portable' too.

Portable cabinets - cabinets with castors? o_O

7. Flook

That's interesting Doug. The writer's Ps are usually plain. There is another S/Portable Cabinet Maker at the top of the next page. RG9 Piece 113 fol. 84 p.29

(Census records in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

8. Huncamunca

From Google Books there seem to have been a wide variety of boxes and pieces of furniture called 'portable cabinets'. Some sound more portable than others! Examples include:
    • collections of educational materials (1857): 'Dexter's Portable Cabinet of Objects from the Mineral, Vegetable, and Animal Kingdoms, containing nearly 300 objects, eminently calculated to assist in impressing a knowledge of the property of articles, both rare and common, on the youthful mind. In a handsome mahogany case, 3l. 13s. 6d.; imitation oak, 2l. 12s. 6d.; plain deal, 2l.'
    • a water analysis kit (1867): 'a portable cabinet fitted with bottles containing chemicals for the detection of the different substances usually met with in water'.
    • display cases for pictures
    • cases for scientific instruments e.g. microscopes

9. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

You may be interested in having a look at this website - all you ever wished to know about cabinet-making.... and more! ;)

www.
    woodworkinghistory.com/glossary_C_Cabinetmaker_etc.htm

Bay Horse likes this.
  10. Flook

Does anyone else think that the Henry at the top of page 29 on the census is in fact the same man as Amle wants us to look at on page 28? (or is it just the hot sun making my brain boil :) )

11. Huncamunca

I agree, Doug, the first letter doesn't look at all like the 'P' further up the page (in an occupation which does appear to say Punter but as it is followed by '& Compositor' I think it must be Printer).

As I can't find contemporary references to sortable cabinets I have been looking for more examples of how this enumerator writes a capital P. On the page after the one Amle has posted, St Pancras appears several times as a birthplace, sometimes with a straight 'P' and sometimes with a curly 'P' . So we can't rely on this chap to be consistent!

Yes, he does look very similar! I see that John Allman also gets listed twice on p.28. The heat must have been getting to the enumerator too.

Keith and Flook like this.
  12. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I always think it was pretty cold on 31st March so they must've had a tot of whisky to keep them going.

It looks as though this one had 'best' handwriting and 'normal' handwriting. :rolleyes:

Flook likes this.
  13. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

oops - Obviously Printer Jane. :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  14. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, that is really interesting and I had not seen a possible duplicate entry.
    I will tell you now what I thought it might be. Don't laugh! I read Soilable and was thinking something like commodes!
    I had better get and look at that web site on cabinet makers very quickly. Thanks again Elizabeth