More info about a uniform please

Discussion in 'British Army' started by CaroleF, Jun 4, 2018.

1. CaroleF

CaroleF Well-Known Member

This handsome chap served with the 1st Battalion, 1st Norfolk Regiment from 1880 - 1904. Towards the end of his career he was Regimental Sergeant Major. I know who he is, have his Army Pension record and don't need any personal information. I think his two medals are the Delhi Durbar Medal 1903 (on the left) and a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, but I know very little about Army uniforms so please can someone 'interpret' what he is wearing in as much detail as possible. Is the white helmet just visible a tropical pith one? I've had a bit of a look online but haven't been too successful so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help - or to point me in the direction of a helpful website. EdwinAugstineFaithorn_c.1904_.jpg

Findem and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

That uniform he is wearing would be his Dress Uniform (equivalent of a civilian's best suite) and the white helmet is part of the Dress uniform.

I'm no expert on uniforms so hopefully someone else will give you more detailed info.

CaroleF, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I agree with Derek, but can't find anything more on that specific uniform. There is a website that maybe you could contact and see if they can help. It's for the Royal Norfolk Regimental Museum.

Code:
    http://www.rnrm.org.uk/index.html

Findem and CaroleF like this.
  4. CaroleF

CaroleF Well-Known Member

Thank you both @Findem and @Sis for your help. I had looked at the Regimental Museum site previously, but there's nothing on uniforms there. I'll contact them as you suggest, but in the meantime if anyone here can help I'd be very grateful.

Findem, Daft Bat and Sis like this.