More on Ancestry Tree errors

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Malcolm Webb, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

I have had a gripe for years at the poor quality information held in some people's trees on Ancestry and have blamed the individuals for harvesting incorrect information and making it fit without doing even the most basic checks. I still hold the individuals responsible.

However, I might have found a reason why some information is blatantly incorrect on Ancestry. Having reluctantly succumbed to the dreaded Ancestry DNA, I even more reluctantly succumbed to putting a tree up there, albeit I have kept it from public view by making it private (what's the point in that I ask myself).

On looking through one particular person in my tree I found that Ancestry automatically creates life stories of all the people in the trees. This person was born in Luton Bedfordshire and was married in the parish church there, Christ Church, Luton, Bedfordshire. In the story for this person, she is listed as being married in Christ Church BARBADOS.

Similarly, my wife's maternal ancestors were largely born and bred in Leeds UK. Many of them appear in their stories associated with Leeds ONTARIO.

If you have a tree on Ancestry you have to manually disable the story builder to prevent it making a mockery of your very careful research.

Click on "Trees" in the top search bar then choose "Create and Manage Trees" in the drop-down box. Choose "Manage Tree" in the next drop-down box then uncheck the box which says "automatically build stories for this tree".

If you have already opened a person for whom a story has automatically been created prior to you unchecking this box you will have to manually edit the story -- I simply deleted the text then saved it. Next time I opened it the story was replaced with a check box for me to tick to automatically create a story.

I hope this helps.

gillyflower, Eve, Findem and 9 others like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thank you, Malcolm. Very helpful. :)

3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thanks for that Malcolm.:)

4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

@Malcolm Webb ..The same happens with DNA Circles that they create. I think I have mentioned that. The first time i complained about the "story" they created they sent me back an email saying I should contact the other members of the circle as some of them had more information than I did. I sent them another message as I had reviewed the other trees and all were accurate and none of them had a 2nd wife for my 2xgr. grandfather, or as many kids, etc. I then received an email from the same person who said they reviewed the trees and agreed with me and it would be passed on to another department to be corrected. I just checked and they have taken off the 2nd wife, but still have him married to the same wife, twice..!! and also have the wrong burial place still. :mad::mad::mad:

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

When they first started with the stories I decided I was not interested and only use the facts display. If I accepted every hint they offer it would get very cluttered so I pick and choose which I accept, for example I ignore the "England and Wales" PR records if I already have the local PR. And if I accepted every electoral roll, or directory entry for the same address it would be daft. I only need to know when an address changed.

Half Hour, Eve, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  6. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Here's one for you from a DNA match for a distant cousin to my husband.... One very confusing tree!

This person was a native American

Birth was Mar. 1 1726 In Michigan
    Marriage...1744
    Marriage...Macau, China
    Marriage....Aug. 3 1744, Massachuettes.. (I won't put in the name... I don' t want them to find this when searching for someone!)
    Marriage...Aug. 1 1744, England
    Died..1800

It looks to me that the owner of the tree just clicked on every leaf and saved.

Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom and Eve like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Much of this in trees can be down to the person entering information, as the little helper box drops down similar places or names to what your first type. I've had it happen so many times if I move on too quickly, & am amazed at some of the place names which pop up if I don't watch.
    Another bugbear is when typing in a person's name, I've had the surname from my family files drop down & then fill in the rest of the information for that person. Have to clear it all start again.!!

Just joined another site- dragged in- & things are just as bad, plus you get bombarded with people who are a 'match' & once you agree to that are offered tons more of same family. Big no-no as the rest can be so wrong! I prefer my own taa very much.

Bay Horse, gillyflower, Sis and 3 others like this.
  8. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes I agree. At least you put in research and make sure it is the right person. A big gripe of mine so many errors and often complete fabrications with some trees. If it doesn't fit - people often make it and the amount of copying trees without checking sources!

Sis, Half Hour and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I've just found one where they have my Gt, Gt, Grandparents having their marriage banns read 14 months 'after' they married.:rolleyes: Let's hope no one had any objections.:D

10. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Just made a mess of my own tree on 'A'.:oops: Three chaps with same name. Three generations I think but might be a father, son and a cousin? At least I have noticed what I have done and know I need to untangle them:mad:

Sis likes this.