Moses FORSEY c1759

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by mugwortismy cat, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I have a Moses FORSEY son of Moses and Sarah (Barrett) baptised in Thorncombe, Dorset in 1759
    He had several sisters, so far untraced and the following brothers (1) John who died in 1768 aged 20 (2) William c1755 (3) Thomas c1757 and (4) Elias c1761

I have failed to trace him further in Thorncombe, so started looking elsewhere including Devon and Somerset as Thorncombe is near the border with both counties and used to be in Devon (though I haven't yet determined exactly when)

I came across an 1814 baptism of a 30 year old John FORSEY (born c1784) in Chardstock ~ 5 miles from Thorncombe (another place that has been in both counties, nowadays is in Devon), his sister Elizabeth aged 19 years (c1795) was also baptised at the same time. Parents were Moses and Ann Forsey, butcher

I think this is the same John Forsey who baptised a child Ann in 1810 and a James in 1815 (John was also a butcher and also married to an Ann), other children came along too

There is also evidence of a couple Thomas and Ann FAWCY in Chardstock baptising children in the years 1786-1797. A Thomas Forsey married Ann Harvey in 1781. I think he may be the brother of Moses.

Question: where is Moses's marriage to Ann? A couple of Ancestry trees have him marrying an Ann Pyler??

Question: Surely Moses and Ann had other children!? Who were they ... why were John and Elizabeth baptised so late? ... there is evidence in the Chardstock baptisms of a James (possibly the son of John already mentioned above) and a George for whom I cannot find a Chardstock baptism

Question: Am I even on the right track?

Afraid I have eyestrain and brainstrain trawling through the pdfs of Chardstock PRs, but at least I am at last finally making a little progress (I hope :nailbiting:). Given the alternatives when it comes to the FORSEY surname I may have missed some records ...
    Spellings I am aware of FOSS- FORS- FORC- FAWS- FAWC- with endings -Y -EY -IE

Grateful for any help, clarity needed o_O

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Haven't got much time at the moment, but had a quick look for the marriage of Moses and Ann (wasn't sure if you actually had the marriage) and found in the transcriptions for Chardstock -
    2.4.1780 Moses Fossey (Forsey) of Chardstock to Ann Plyer of Chardstock
    at http://www.
    chardstockwebmuseum.org/charmarr.pdf
    It seems to be a very good site (I'm probably telling you something you already know) and, at least, you can search the transcriptions and then go to the registers on Ancestry to double check :)

I'll come back later.......

Ann x

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

Thank you Ann! No I had completely missed it o_O:rolleyes: I was attempting to go through those transcripts yesterday, but my eyes were blurred and I was getting quite frustrated. (Poor little me)

AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. mugwortismy cat

Sadly, not, as I just found out, as Chardstock is now in Devon, the records aren't held by the Dorset History Centre, although the dorsetopc site thinks they might hold copies, but I guess not as they aren't on Ancestry :( Still transcripts are better than nothing ;)

5. AnnB

Pooh - and, on checking, Chardstock is one of the Devon parishes that FMP STILL haven't put on-line, apart from the transcripts :(

Ann

6. AnnB

Having a bit of a rummage and found in the London Gazette a Moses Forsey of Chard, Somerset, butcher in a list of insolvent debtors.
    https://www.
    thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17800/page/484

and from the Chardstock Museum at
    http://www.
    chardstockwebmuseum.org/Removals.pdf
    Moses Forsey and his wife and children, Sarah, John and Robert being removed from Chardstock to Thorncombe

Ann

7. mugwortismy cat

Oh :( well, I guess that confirms I am on the right track though and this isn't some rogue Moses Forsey that I am following.

8. mugwortismy cat

Now Ann has pointed out the Removal Orders on the Chardstock website I have found the Examinations, and mention of brother ELIAS FORSEY, a clothier of Chardstock, which is nice (Moses was a cloth worker at the time of his marriage, although he later became a butcher)

So can now place Moses, Thomas, and Elias in Chardstock, and William too (there's a marriage in 1792) -- so that is all 4 brothers :)

AnnB likes this.
  9. AnnB

There are some PCC wills on Ancestry for Forseys. Sadly, none for Moses, and probably not much information which will help you, but ……

There is one for Elias Forsey of Chard dated 7th August 1783 with probate granted 15th July 1789. It is very difficult to make out as the writing from the next page has obviously blotted on top of it (typical) but Elias appears to have been a clothier of Chard. Unfortunately he gives ‘to his loving wife’ without naming her, but he does name his sons and daughters. I can make out Richard and John as his sons, but his daughters are more difficult. I think (and only think) that there is a Bridget Forsey, a Mary Bull?, an Ann? Slade?, a Catherine Hodge, a Sarah Forsey and another something Forsey. He seems to have been fairly well off.

Another will is that of William Forsey of HMS Lancaster which had the probate granted on the 14th July 1745. He left all to his father, William Forsey of Thorncombe, clothier.

I haven’t looked at the other Forsey wills. I was hoping I might find something in a paper but…. too early really.

Ann

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  10. mugwortismy cat

ooh, that's exciting :D impossible wills to transcribe :rolleyes:
    I shall be taking a look .... I may be some time

AnnB likes this.
  11. mugwortismy cat

Could the undecipherable daughter be Martha?

I think this Elias may be (great?) uncle (or some other relation) to the brothers I am tracing, finding baptisms in Thorncombe for names that appear to closely match the names in the will but for the generation before. But also a death in Thorncombe in 1766, may be a third Elias?? :confused:

12. AnnB

I think it could well be Martha - for some reason, I just couldn't see it :confused:

Ann

13. mugwortismy cat

Nor could I, it was one of the baptisms I found though ;)

AnnB likes this.
  14. AnnB

You may have found these by now, but from the Thorncombe baptism transcripts at
    http://www.
    opcdorset.org/ThorncombeFiles/ThorncombeBaps1.htm

Betty daur of Moses Forsey bap 23.3.1744/5
    Sarah daur of Moses Forsey bap 17.8.1746
    John son of Moses Forsey bap 24.1.1747/8
    Mary daur of Moses Forrsey jun. bap 11.7.1750
    Joan daur of Moses Forrsey bap 12.1.1752
    William son of Moses Forsey junior bap 10.4.1755
    Thomas son of Moses Forsey (born Feb 1757) bap 8.2.1761
    Moses son of Moses Forsey (aged 2) bap 8.2.1761
    Elias son of Moses Forsey bap 8.2.1761

Ann