"Mrs Goodey placing her back against the door"

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Eve, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

I am looking for a small favour, taking advantage of your mastery of Newspaper sources especially our Queen of the Newspapers @AnnB

From at least 1889 (the first mention I can find) My GtGt Grandmother Elizabeth Goodey had an ongoing battle with her local council - Friern Barnet Urban District Council in North London regarding the water supply to her cottage(s) and obstructing officials. There seems to be a gap of around 6 years until matters started escalating from 1895 -1896 when there were several reports in the local papers (Hendon & Finchley Times and The Barnet Press) and by 1896 was also reported in a few London papers and appeared to possibly escalated to the High Court for a point of law?

I can find nothing more until July 1913, Feb 1915 and June 1915 the latter headlined “A Very Long Story”!
    These articles include

July 1913 - Elizabeth stating to the court “I shall not go out until I am carried out. l am seventy now”. ! (Go Gt Gt Granny){-(^^)-}

Feb 1915 - “Mrs Goodey - 2 cottages - consented to an order to be made - asked it to be held over for 2 months - agreed”! (Granny buying more time?);)

And then

June 1915 - “The ejectment order will be made, and Mrs Gooday will have three weeks in which to clear out” ! (Which seems a pretty harsh statement) :(

Now I know that Elizabeth did not “Clear Out” and she was indeed “carried out” - but not until she died in 1929 and son Edward later sold the cottages in 1934.. But, what happened between 1896 and 1913 ? And after 1915 Did she buckle and eventually accept the official water supply ? I would love to know.

N.B. Elizabeth is variously referred to in reports as Goodey, Goody and Gooday..

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, Chimp and 2 others like this.
  2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Now we all want to know!! Let us know the results of your quest!

Eve likes this.
  3. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

I've been following this saga for a long Time, so not sure we will get any answers but have last at collated the articles I have found. - it is indeed "A Very Long Story"

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I’m afraid I haven’t found anything else about the case other than what you have already found. Maybe it simply became un-newsworthy :(

There is a very lengthy article, which you may have seen, in the Hendon and Finchley Times of the 16th February 1917, when Elizabeth’s husband, Joseph Albert Goodey, ‘aged 78 of 4 Bell’s Cottages, Whetstone’ took the London County Council to court and won £50 damages, having been involved in an accident between him, his horse and trap and a tram. I presume you’ve seen the report of Joseph Albert’s death in the Hendon and Finchley Times of the 5th January 1923, when they were still at Bell’s Cottages?

Will take another look tomorrow when I'm more awake :D

Eve and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Thank you Ann, Yes I do have the above 2 articles I have been looking for a while now for extra info on the Water Saga with no luck. It’s not in the least bit urgent and if you have had a quick look and don’t turn anything up then I can rest happy that there’s nothing there xx

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  6. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

HaHa where there’s a blame there’s a claim ! Just read the article again, claim sounded a bit dodgy/exaggerated and the judge obviously did too. Compensation Claim £50 Compensation awarded £21 :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I have to confess I didn't read the article properly, my eyes were drooping by the time I found it :D

Chimp, Ma-dotcom and Eve like this.